• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rain gear

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Reaction score
I think I need to invest in a good rainproof jacket. The last time I played in a heavy rain, and when it was in the upper 30's, the jacket I had eventually soaked through, at which point I had to take the jacket off because it was doing no good and just weighing me down.

So of the stuff that's out there, what has provided you a well-insulated experience and kept you dry?

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast said:
I think I need to invest in a good rainproof jacket. The last time I played in a heavy rain, and when it was in the upper 30's, the jacket I had eventually soaked through, at which point I had to take the jacket off because it was doing no good and just weighing me down.

So of the stuff that's out there, what has provided you a well-insulated experience and kept you dry?
I have the Footjoy DryJoy Rain Jacket, pants and Sleeveless vest Jacket. They will keep you absolutely dry. They are not cheap, about $150+ for the jacket (MSRP is $220), but it is worth every penny in my opinion.

The pants are fantastic for staying dry as well and easy to put on and take off because of zippers down the side, but unless they changed the design, I would not buy them again or recommend them. There is only an elastic style waist with rubber lining, but they really need velcro, belt loops or something, as they slide down. I am going to try suspenders next year, that ought to be a sight. I believe they may have changed this but am not sure.

The vest is great for the summer when it is warm. They have a jacket now that will alow you to zip off the sleeves, but they run a little more.

I would also recommend the bucket hat they sell, works great to keep water from running down your neck.

They now have another light model as well which I am unfamiliar with, it is cheaper and lighter, but not sure if it works as well, so make sure you check. I think the regular is designated as Extreme.

I have owned these for 3 years and played at times where it is absolute downpours and remain perfectly dry. After buying one of these, and having regripped to cord grips last year, rain really affects me very little on the course.

http://www.footjoy.com/catalog/mens.asp?c=163

Thanks for the response, I'll definitely need to look into better footwear. My feet got a bit squishy yesterday. I had picked up an Acuity rain vest on sale at Dick's Saturday, and it did a good job, although it didn't turn into a downpour yesterday. But I stayed dry.

i'm not sure if i can help you as much, but i just got done purchasing my rain gear, its not geared as much towards cold weather, but i like my setup.

i bought nike storm-fit pants through my golf coach's purchase program for like $40 when they normally cost about $90, they are tremendous, nice adjustable pant leg and drawstring waist, they pack into the scorecard pocket and i just leave them in my bag. i didn't actually get to play with these in the rain, but i wore them to school one day and it rained after school so they got a good test, didn't feel a thing.

and just last week, my storm-fit short sleeve rainshirt arrived. i haven't got to try it in the rain, got it for $50 when it normally costs like $100. i wore it at the range b/c it was windy/cold and it was all i had with me, it fits well, doesn't mess up your swing. nothing else i can really say about it yet.

together as a suit, it looks great, black pants, red/black short sleeve shirt, now i'm going to buy some cheap KU hats at walmart and scotch guard them, we'll see how that goes, i have high hopes for that.

hope this helped, ask if you need anything else.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520