• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rediculous clubs you own.

Sometimes you just gotta man up and go over that tree instead of being a candy-ass and chipping under it.

So you chip over the 45 foot high tree, but land only 15 feet closer to the pin than you were? :ugly25:

Bubble Shafts. I bought into the hype when I first started clubmaking.

I have an old XPC driver with a bubble shaft in it.

I have another graphite bubble shaft uncut sitting in my stockpile.

I have a set of Golfsmith irons that I pulled out the graphite shafts when I started breaking them and bought a set of steel True Temper Rocket iron shafts that also happened to be bubble shafts. The Rocket was True Temper's "answer" to the Rifle shaft in that it was TT's first stepless steel shaft (of course, they now claim the Black Gold as their fist stepless shaft as they would rather forget about the Rockets :laugh:) and it had that stupid bubble right below the grip.

My bag at the time was:

GS XPC 9* Driver (small steel head) with XPC graphite bubble shaft.
1 iron
2 iron
3-PW (All the irons were GS Backflow Irons, Wishon designed)
SW
UW (all with the above mentioned TT Rocket Shafts)

The only club in the bag without a bubble shaft was the putter (which, of course, had they made a bubble shaft for it I probably would have put one in it. :D)

I also made a 64* wedge back then as well with, you guessed it, a TT Rocket bubble shaft. :laugh:

Those clubs have not seen the light of day in many of years.

So you chip over the 45 foot high tree, but land only 15 feet closer to the pin than you were? :ugly25:

I'll bet even I could hold a green with that club. Assuming I could get it there.

I'll bet even I could hold a green with that club. Assuming I could get it there.

You could from the fringe.

That is assuming the wind didn't grab the ball when it was 900 feet in the air and blow it away from the green. :laugh:

I may see if they will sell me that 80º for cheap, ought to good for a few laughs in Tn. in April? See who can hit it the farthest and highest!

About 15 years ago I had one of the earliest 64° wedges (at least that I ever heard of), made by Slotline. I think it got sold off with a bag full of assorted odds and ends at a garage sale about 10 years ago. The whole lot, bag and clubs went for $50... and believe me, they weren't worth that. :ugly25:

I also made a 64* wedge back then as well with, you guessed it, a TT Rocket bubble shaft. :laugh:
Yep, that's what mine has in it!

And, the shafts that were replaced by Nippon 950's in my beach set (Toski Perfect Match heads) were Tommy Mann bubble shafts...TM knock off's! Same guy built the irons and the wedge.

You could from the fringe.

That is assuming the wind didn't grab the ball when it was 900 feet in the air and blow it away from the green. :laugh:

I may see if they will sell me that 80º for cheap, ought to good for a few laughs in Tn. in April? See who can hit it the farthest and highest!
How about who can take the heaviest divot with it? Bet that bad boy would slide right through the dirt!

What is a "bubble shaft" exactly? Google image search just showed me a bunch of TM drivers with no picture of the shaft. Oh, and some, ahem, "adult toys" that apparently use the words "bubble" and "shaft" seperately in their descriptions.

Yep, that's what mine has in it!

And, the shafts that were replaced by Nippon 950's in my beach set (Toski Perfect Match heads) were Tommy Mann bubble shafts...TM knock off's! Same guy built the irons and the wedge.

My 64* was a GS Short Game System wedge head. First 64* wedge I saw so I figured what the heck, why not try it. I built my first club for someone else when a guy from work tried my club and wanted an exact replica built for him, TT Rocket shaft and all. :laugh:

That seems sooo long ago. Phil Mickelson nor Dave Pelz were on my golf radar in the early to mid 1990's so I have no idea what inspired me to go with the 64* wedge. It worked just fine, but I had all the trouble in the world trying to fit a fourth wedge into the bag let alone a fifth. It has its uses, but unless your playing greens stimping out in the teens or you just drive the ball so far that your always coming up just short of the green (neither of which, I am sad to say, are problems for me) it does not have enough utilization to warrant a bag spot.

Oh, and some, ahem, "adult toys" that apparently use the words "bubble" and "shaft" seperately in their descriptions.

:biglol: Nominated for the post of the month.

I would say :needpics:, but this thread would have to be switched to the members only section, :D:emot-ange

What is a "bubble shaft" exactly? Google image search just showed me a bunch of TM drivers with no picture of the shaft. Oh, and some, ahem, "adult toys" that apparently use the words "bubble" and "shaft" seperately in their descriptions.

A bubble shaft was a TaylorMade innovation (or at least their shaft company's innovation) in which they altered the shafts geometry a bit. Instead of a continuously narrowing taper from butt to tip, a bubble shaft starts out wide at the butt and gradually tapers as you go down the shaft until you get an inch or two below the grip. Just below the grip, a bubble shaft reverses the taper and gets wider fairly quickly before reversing the taper once again and continuing the wide to narrow taper down to the tip.

I forget the science behind it, but it was kind of like the Movable Weight Technology craze after the R7 came out. None of the other major OEM's ever produced a bubble shafted club that I can recall, but knockoffs, some shaft companies, and component companies started to release them soon after the craze hit.

I would take a picture and post it, but those suckers are hidden up in the attic in an old travel case and are not easily accessible at the moment. If no one else comes through with a picture over the next day or two I will see if I can find one and take a picture of it.

:biglol: Nominated for the post of the month.

I would say :needpics:, but this thread would have to be switched to the members only section, :D:emot-ange
You can bet I googled it!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422