• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ribbed Grip

ezra76

Reaction score
I just learned of these GPTV's with the rib inside the grip. I had on installed on my driver. Just wanted to pass this along. Ask your local shop about them. I have a bad tendency to get strong with my right hand. This grip is a great "reminder". I plan to use them on all my clubs. By having it on my driver improved all my shots yesterday though. I'm hitting the iron fade with such accuracy I actually amazed myself yesterday. All a product of the correct grip on the club. My bad miss is an OTT pull, haven't hit one in well over 200 shots. Having the correct grip makes this move produce more of a push/push slice and although it's ugly, it's a lot more "recoverable" than that nasty pull.

Never heard of a ribbed grip. Is that ribbed for her pleasure?:)

GP offers several "ribbed" grips. One of the guys I make clubs for insists on the Tour Velvet Ribbed on all the clubs I build or work on for him.

Personally, I do not like the ribbed grips as it makes it harder to adjust the grip when needed. Since my swing tends to vary a bit from round to round and day to day I need to adjust how closed or open the club face is at address in order to keep the same flight profile. Not that I shape my shots often, but when I need to adjust the club face to shape shots I find it almost impossible to do so with the ribbed grip as my hands instinctively want to put the rib in the squared clubface postion. I have the same issue when I play an open faced wedge shot or bunker shot. I prefer to play the round grips.

I've been using them for 5 years.

R35

Cant stand them... Theres one in my 3w cause the dude put the wrong grip on my club...:(

I will not use ribbed grips, if I try to work the ball with them I tend to hit them straight since I try to square the club at impact because of the reminder. Plus if you align your rib up incorrectly then you are going to have either hooks or slices till you correct it.

Funny, I have no problem working the ball with the rib?? I just flare my left foot for a fade and turn it in for a draw. Clubface gets squared to the target line regardless. Are we talking about the same grip? All it has is a line running down the back of it?

Funny, I have no problem working the ball with the rib?? I just flare my left foot for a fade and turn it in for a draw. Clubface gets squared to the target line regardless. Are we talking about the same grip? All it has is a line running down the back of it?

There is no line, just a lump that runs down the back side of the grip (opposite side of the logo).

You shouldn't. You don't have to change your grip to work the ball, just your stance and swing. Everything else remains constant - grip, tempo and balance.

R35

I change my grip and leave everything else the same to work the ball (well, also hook or open the clubface).

That opens up too many possibilities for error. Too much grip, too little, off balance (swinging harder to accomodate), amount of grass caught, ect.

If you alter your stance, the swing adjusts automatically. Less chance for error.

R35

I've never heard of or seen a ribbed grip? how do they work and what are the main benifits?

I've never heard of or seen a ribbed grip? how do they work and what are the main benifits?

Ribbed grip is also called a reminder. It is a small lump that runs almost the whole length of the grip where your fingers would cup the grip.

That opens up too many possibilities for error. Too much grip, too little, off balance (swinging harder to accomodate), amount of grass caught, ect.

If you alter your stance, the swing adjusts automatically. Less chance for error.

R35

This is a common argument among tour pros, beleive it or not about 50% use your method and 50% use the way I do it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520