• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Slicing with driver

Fastback

Reaction score
I know its not much help not having a vid, but without fail i have been slicing with my driver.. i cant work out what im doing to cause the slice, particularly since by and large i dont slice my irons..

I have a touch of fade on the 3 iron, but by no means a slice, however my driver is a definite slice each and every time

Based on the comments here on my iron shots, i am coming OTT... assuming this is occuring with the driver, would this exaggerate this behaviour?

Any ideas or things to consider?

I know its not much help not having a vid, but without fail i have been slicing with my driver.. i cant work out what im doing to cause the slice, particularly since by and large i dont slice my irons..

I have a touch of fade on the 3 iron, but by no means a slice, however my driver is a definite slice each and every time

Based on the comments here on my iron shots, i am coming OTT... assuming this is occuring with the driver, would this exaggerate this behaviour?

that rebar stick your driver is on the end of may be part of it :laugh:

Yep, what he said /\ /\ /\ /\

If your hitting R300's in your iron and hitting a stiff V2 in a bore-through you are pretty much way off on that. Demo a R flex in a whippier shaft.

that rebar stick your driver is on the end of may be part of it :laugh:

the first range session i had with that stick went well, hitting them straight.. but between then and now its gone pear shaped, so i'm doing something wrong.. not blaming the stick

Yep, what he said /\ /\ /\ /\

If your hitting R300's in your iron and hitting a stiff V2 in a bore-through you are pretty much way off on that. Demo a R flex in a whippier shaft.

When i tried out a driver in store, i initially tried an R flex, but my swing recorded at over a 100.. cant recall the exact speed, and the guy recommended a stiff flex

the other day, i thought id try an mp-67 to see how it was (they are pretty similar to 32s).. the guy didnt record my swing, but mentioned it looked to be bordering on the need for an S Flex

the R300 seem to work fine for me in the irons though

When i tried out a driver in store, i initially tried an R flex, but my swing recorded at over a 100.. cant recall the exact speed, and the guy recommended a stiff flex

the other day, i thought id try an mp-67 to see how it was (they are pretty similar to 32s).. the guy didnt record my swing, but mentioned it looked to be bordering on the need for an S Flex

the R300 seem to work fine for me in the irons though

I'm just the opposite. I have stiff graphite in my King Cobra irons, but regular in my hybrids and woods. I sometimes think that sales people just want to stroke your ego, and too many guys think it's unmanly to play a regular shaft. These Cobras are the first clubs I've ever owned where stiff was right for me, because a stiff shaft did the same for me as what youare experiencing.... the longer the club the more fade/slice I got. And I'm not traditionally a slow swinger... when I was younger I was one of the longer drivers in the club. If you are a smooth swinger you can easily use an "R" shaft with a 100 mph CHS.

Get rid of that driver shaft. Try something a like an R flex limey or a ys-6+ and I bet slice go bye bye.

This is one of those times that equipment is partially to blame.

The V2 is a very, very, stiff shaft. Generally, you'll hit lots of clubs well the first time you take them out, that's why I suggest before buying anything hit it a few times before you buy it. Anyway, back on subject, a softer shaft will help.

Aimr, my fellow Mizzy believer, I think you got it right -- it's not the arrow it's the indian.
Try to keep your left elbow tucked tight to your chest on your back swing. What this will do is promote more of an inside path back to the ball on the down swing because you will be forced to make more of a body turn, keeping the club head path more to the inside to stop the slices. With the irons being shorter, and your note about the 3i maybe fading occasionally, the longer clubs will exagerate poor contact, as we know.
Just a simple swing thought for you to try and straighten out your "Longfellow." Like Rodney in "Back To School."

I hit that combo in the shop and it was stiffer than my R510 with an X-flex Speeder. That's a stiff, stiff to begin with, then the bore through...

man that v2 stiff in a bore-through plays like and XX of most shafts, and a grafalloy blue X. try a ys-6 stiff if youd like, but a guy recomending a v2 stiff for just over 100 doesnt know his stuff. i swing 102 with a driver and play a ys-6+ shaft. good shaft.

Only thing V2's are good for are sticking into the ground as a training aid to try and stop swaying.

i think i need to go to a fitter and get this sorted.. otherwise i am only guessing as to which shafts will really work for me.. i would rather it be the shaft then a swing tendency.. a shaft is alot easier to fix, will look into it

thanks for the replies..

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423