• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Songs of the decades

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
If you had to pick one song to represent the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and the new millenium, what would you vote for? One song for each era.

I'm only saying this because my GF just came back from a Duran Duran concert out of town. (This in now way sheds any light on my choice for the 80's. They suck royal.)

Fire away....

R35

Weird, where'd she see the show? My brother was at the show in Kelowna last night (I think?). Said it was a blast and that they were really good.

I'll answer the meat of the question later.

• Staff
Calgary, Monday.

We don't get any good shows here. Prince, maybe. ;)

R35

60: All along the watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
70: We are the champions - Queen
80: Big in Japan - Alphaville
90: Even Flow - Pearl Jam

As you said...no good shows.

60's - not sure, I'm sure there's something, I just can't think of it off the top of my head - maybe Beatles - Hey Jude or something by Gordon Lightfoot, Otis Redding - Sitting on the Dock of the Bay
70's - Boney M - Rasputin or maybe Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth (although released in 1967, I consider it to be more of a "70s" song)
80's - It's all about Europe - The Final Countdown or Madonna - Like A Prayer, or anything from the Top Gun soundtrack
90's - Immediate thoughts that come to mind are Moist - Push, I Mother Earth - Earth, Sky & C and Weezer - Say It Ain't So
Millenium - I withhold judgment until 2010

None of these songs would realistically define the generation (other than maybe Buffalo Springfield), but they're favourites of mine, for sure.

TUNES

60's BARRY WHITE "LET'S GET IT ON", play that one while in the car with your woman and see what happens!
70's ROLLING STONES "PAINT IT BLACK"
80's on, anything by AC/DC, Tom Petty and Lynard Skynard. Oh and a Canadian Classic, THE GUESS WHO "AMERICAN WOMAN"
Most of the songs from the year 2000 on are trash!
ROCK ON, I AM AN OLD DUDE, I DON'T WANT TO LISTEN TO RAP & CRAP!
Oh and let's not forget the late great Stevie Ray Vaughn, the man could make an ax talk.
:canadafla

I'm surprised more people haven't responded to this post. Music is what life is all about.

Rock, what are YOUR answers?

60's - Hendrix
70's - LEd Zepplin
80's - Nothing Comes to mind Neil young was 80's I belive so him
90's - Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden (Grunge in general)
Now- All new good rock is based on those early 90's bands like those listed above. So it's hard to define.

MAHALLEDAY said:
60's - Hendrix
70's - LEd Zepplin
80's - Nothing Comes to mind Neil young was 80's I belive so him
90's - Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden (Grunge in general)
Now- All new good rock is based on those early 90's bands like those listed above. So it's hard to define.

I agree with Mahalleday mostly

60's --- Hendrix
70's---Led Zep, Janice Joplin,
80's-- I would have to say Prince... 1999, Little Red Corvette, etc...
90's-- All that "new rock." Nirvana, Pearl Jam is awesome with songs like "Jeremy Spoke in Class Today" etc... Soundgarden too...

Green day was pretty huge in the late 90's. I loved them, and am very glad to see them back with "Boulevard of Broken Dreams." I ran across Waikiki beach with that song blasting in my CD player... Good for them.

Don't forget U2 with Achtung Baby. Every single song on that album is gold. I blasted that record on a midnight run (left from San Francisco at 11:30 at night) to Phoenix (752 miles distance) and got there at noon, but that was about 17 years ago...

90's continued: don't forget Creed you bastards.
Now: Nickleback, Greenday...

Me?

Hmm, let's have a go...

60's-has to be something by the Beatles. I might vote for Elvis, but i can't stand his music.

70's-something by the Doors or perhaps the Bee Gees. I hate them both too.

80's- gotta be Flock of Seagulls, U2, or Devo. I might put in a vote for an REM tune too...I might vote for "Hammertime" just to not step on any toes. ;)

90's- tough era. Lots of good and terrible music was made during this era. Hard to pick just one or a couple, but I can say that it wasn't "Whoomp, there it is!".....

New Millenium - today's music is terrible. It's all the same garbage. I might put a vote in for U2's Vertigo, as it's the only song i've heard in a while that doesn't sound the same as everything else out there.

I'm so picky!

Noteable favorites:

Dust in the Wind by Kansas
Pictures of you by The Cure
Big Poppa by Notorious BIG
Picture Me Rollin' by Tupac
Tiny Dancer by Elton John
Toxicity by System of a Down
Nightswimming by REM
The them song to Hockey Night in Canada :(

Laugh away, boys....

R35

spankdoggie said:
I agree with Mahalleday mostly

60's --- Hendrix
70's---Led Zep, Janice Joplin,
80's-- I would have to say Prince... 1999, Little Red Corvette, etc...
90's-- All that "new rock." Nirvana, Pearl Jam is awesome with songs like "Jeremy Spoke in Class Today" etc... Soundgarden too...

Green day was pretty huge in the late 90's. I loved them, and am very glad to see them back with "Boulevard of Broken Dreams." I ran across Waikiki beach with that song blasting in my CD player... Good for them.

Don't forget U2 with Achtung Baby. Every single song on that album is gold. I blasted that record on a midnight run (left from San Francisco at 11:30 at night) to Phoenix (752 miles distance) and got there at noon, but that was about 17 years ago...

90's continued: don't forget Creed you bastards.
Now: Nickleback, Greenday...
Ahh SPnk a man after my own heart Gren Day rules. Don;t forget teh Offs[rping Smash ans Inxias on the Hombre were excellent albums. I hate U2though HATE. But I'll forgive that indescression.

Rock I agree with the Hockey night in canada song. Dont forget Stompin TOm Conors and :The Good Ol' Hockey Game".

There also a sogn by Gold Finger called Wayne Gretzkey. You should check it out its sweet. :D.

60s... Before my time, but the influence of the Beetles can's go unspoken.
70s... Zeppelin all the way, Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, Manfred Mann, Skynerd, oh how the list goes on.
80s... A blight on the face of music. Next decade. (U2? Yah, we can do that)
90s... Tool, The Refreshments, White Zombie, Tool, Pantera, The Cranberries, Offspring, Tool, Eve 6, Tool, and Tool. the original "grunge" dudes sans the posers, and Nirvana sucked.
00s... Yet to be seen. 3 doors down are pretty good. Most of the stuff now is either too popish, or too formulated. I feel like it's the 80s all over again, just less hair and fewer falsettos.

That's one I forgot...U2 - Sunday, Bloody Sunday - one of the greatest songs with some of the most intense meaning ever - great stuff

And for the record, Vertigo is awful - it gives me vertigo

DAMN I FORGOT ABOUT THE HIP

I totally forgot about the TRAGICALLY HIP, good old boys from Kingston Ontario. Home of Don "GRAPES" Cherry.
Their song 50 Mission Cap is a legend here in Canada, and if you are a LEAFS fan then it mean even more to you.

One more from the 60's Marvin Gaye, Sexual Heeling.

I grew up listening to CKLW AM from Windsor Ontario. Of course being right across the river from The Motor City CKLW as influenced by MOTOWN so I heard a lot of that music when I was 12-14 years old. Nothing like MOTOWN to make you feel your soul!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520