• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Spectacular Fail! 1st time for everthing...

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
So I found a Cally X460 with an Ion blueboard in it on 3balls golf. I didn't want the head only the shaft but I have pulled these before and thought no big deal. It's one of their opti fit heads that has been made into a regular club. They install some sort of metal ferrule and fill in the screw system. All I needed was a ferrule guard (which I had) and a puller/torch. Which I also had.

Got the club the about a week and a half ago and decided to go ahead and pull the shaft. I have a TEE CB1 head that I thought would make an awesome match for this shaft! I started pulling only to find that the Ferrule guard had gotten cracked somehow,lalmost all the way from one end to the other. This was a problem as when I applied pressure with my puller the crack would get wider and just slide farther onto the head. No good! SO I get on ebay and order another ferrule guard. It shows up yesterday.

I got home from work ahead of my wife and daughter and decided to try to pull the head again. I had everything set up nicely. I start applying heat and pressure. The more heat and more pressure. The head wasn't budging, at all! I heated and added as much pressure as I could, then heated some more and more. This went on for 20-30 minutes. The head ould not budge at all. At this point I am a little irritated, all right alot irritated. Apparently the amount of pressue I applied ended up twisting the clamp a bit, ok more than a bit, and bit into the shaft. Not good.

So, I try to salvage what I can and cut the shaft at the point where the hosel and shaft come together. I figured the shaft is going into a 3w anyway and I was probably going to tip it an inch anyway, no biggie. SO I cut the shaft and clean the tip and throw it into my TEE head. At this point I kinda knew I effed up the shaft, but was hoping it was only cosmetic-WRONG! This morning after the epoxy dried I picked up the club and did the waggle test and could hear the shaft creaking, took a swing outside and BOOM, shaft snapped where the puller had bitten into it. ARGHHH!!!

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I had to vent a bit about pissing away a good shaft that I was really excited about. I have never had a shaft and head that I couldn't pull and this one baffled me. I heated this thing solid for 2 minutes before trying to pull the head, and of course added more heat as I got further into the pull. I am at a loss.

I have a cheap puller but have never had a problem, I am at a loss here and am thinking I didn't do something right. If anybody has any thoughts or experience with this please chime in. Is this just one of those things that happens every now and then?

here is the link to what I have.

Golfsmith Economy Shaft Extractor at Golfsmith.com

And the ferrule guard I used, still not sure how this sits on the club either....

FERRULE GUARD FOR PING WOODS - eBay (item 130339682095 end time Jun-21-10 15:34:03 PDT)

Without drilling out the opti-fit screw to expose it for extraction, there was no way in hell you would pull that shaft without destroying it. You'd apply way, way too much heat to get to the adaptor buried well within the head and kill the shaft tip in the process.

Live and learn, I guess.

R35

• Staff
Without drilling out the opti-fit screw to expose it for extraction, there was no way in hell you would pull that shaft without destroying it. You'd apply way, way too much heat to get to the adaptor buried well within the head and kill the shaft tip in the process.

Live and learn, I guess.

R35

No, these opti fit heads have been modified with a hosel shim to allow for .335 shafts with no adaptor. They also filled in the opti fit port with a basic hosel plug. It's basically a plain old Cally head with a special metal hosel/shim adaptor. It will only take a .335 shaft. I have done 2 or 3 of these and this is the first one that I had an issue with.

I always wondered what happend to that X460 I used JB Weld to install a shaft in, after I traded it to 3 Balls.....

• Staff
I always wondered what happend to that X460 I used JB Weld to install a shaft in, after I traded it to 3 Balls.....

LOL, seriously! I used so much heat on the head I thought the face was going to melt! And nothing, wouldn't budge

Featured Reviews

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodehene1