• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sucking at the range

Loop

Reaction score
Lately, I've been sucking really really bad at the range. Just about a month ago, I had decent ballstriking with my TA1. And now, I shank, thin, fat, push, slice all of the balls.
I can't even hit my 3 wood properly without hitting the ground 5 inches before the ball :mad:
Even when I do make clean contacts, it goes anywhere but straight.
I'm pretty fed up, as I know that my swing relies heavily on timing, which gives inconsistent results when I"m not hot. Also, I use a lot of wrist/hand movements, which is probably not the best thing.
Now I'm looking for a really truly simple swing mechanic. I've tried a textbook swing for some time, to no avail. Tried slowing down the backswing, eliminating the wrist cock, flat plane, upright plane, starting the left hip turn on the downswing, slower tempo, changing ball position.... Nothing works.

I'm sorry if that story is a little long.
Can anyone suggest a good swing mechanic? :eek:

Sounds like you're tied into knots. Try keeping your head still, that's all. And swing SMOOOOOOTHHHH!!

Geez, you're never going to get a decent swing that repeats until you actually choose one and stick with it. It is interesting how many of the things you have tried are polar opposites. Find a player with your basic build, appears to have your basic demeanor (layed back? High strung?) and notice which kind of swing he uses. Then study that type of swing and stick with it. You'll never improve if you're all over the map. You'll always be all over the map until you intelligently find the type of swing for you. Good luck.

Loop,

Grab the 7 iron and some confidence on your way to the range. That's all it is. Your 7 should always be the go to club. Hit that bastard till the game comes around. This might take a bunch of balls, but it will happen. Start swinging about 3/4's, then work your way up from there. Then, start aiming at things on the range.....yardage markers, gophers, people, barrels, garbage, ect. You'll be suprised how dialed in you can be.

Then, you just transfer all that positive energy to you 8 and 6 irons. And work your way from there.

Trust me, this is all in your head. Shake it outta there, you'll be fine.

R35

You're right bd. I'd better stick with a swing, as I'm sometimes a little impatient to get fast results (but hitting a bucket full thin with the same swing tends to get frustrating). And seeing IG's swing, smooothness is his forte :p

Last night, I watched videos of my swing dated a month ago, and the backswing was pretty flat, like Gary Player's. I recently changed to a more upright backswing since so many good players advised me so, and it's since that time that everything got south. Should have known better to stick with the old adage "If it ain't broken, don't fix it"...

Thanks guys, I'm paying the shrimps tonight. :D

Rock,

Now my new swing thought is:
"Rock solid ballstriking".

I'll try it out, as yesterday, I was only on my 5 iron. Should have started with the 7.
:smilie_cl

bdcrowe said:
Geez, you're never going to get a decent swing that repeats until you actually choose one and stick with it. It is interesting how many of the things you have tried are polar opposites. Find a player with your basic build, appears to have your basic demeanor (layed back? High strung?) and notice which kind of swing he uses. Then study that type of swing and stick with it. You'll never improve if you're all over the map. You'll always be all over the map until you intelligently find the type of swing for you. Good luck.

BD

Actually I think it sounds more fun having to choose a club and a swing. “Let’s see, 155 yards into a breeze. That sounds like a 7 iron with the psycho lunge swing, or a 5 iron with my dishwater partial cast”. ;)

Seriously though, I've been searching the globe for a 6'5" Irish “potato picking” psycho with a split personality, that plays best when inebriated, while wearing a green tweed suit, so that I can copy his swing. I’m looking for that edge that will help me get me to a scratch index. I’m afraid that if I ever find him though, we’ll get into a fistfight if he catches me trying to copy his swing.

Loop said:
Rock,

Now my new swing thought is:
"Rock solid ballstriking".

Rock Solid Ballstriking.

I did that in a wrestling match once. :thumbup:

R35

PS>....keep the right arm strong through impact, and imagine yourself hitting the shot perfectly....

IrishGolfer said:
BD

Actually I think it sounds more fun having to choose a club and a swing. “Let’s see, 155 yards into a breeze. That sounds like a 7 iron with the psycho lunge swing, or a 5 iron with my dishwater partial cast”. ;)

Seriously though, I've been searching the globe for a 6'5" Irish “potato picking” psycho with a split personality, that plays best when inebriated, while wearing a green tweed suit, so that I can copy his swing. I’m looking for that edge that will help me get me to a scratch index. I’m afraid that if I ever find him though, we’ll get into a fistfight if he catches me trying to copy his swing.
You forget that I've seen your swing, IG. Don't poor-mouth me. And if you swing ye ol' fisticuffs like your clubs, I'll put money on you, no matter which personality shows up. I do, however, think it would be safe to steal Darren Clarke's swing. Since he quit the cigars and Guiness (reportedly), he seems very calm and ameable. Just a thought.

Loop, good call on the upright plane change. It will take a while to feel natural, and produce results, but it will pay off. I've gone through the same change, and am seeing the light @ the end of the temporary trainwreck called my swing. Perservere, young soldier and win the day...

IG, What about Padraig's swing? Soon, we'll see you making ads for the Irish Bureau of Tourism.

Today, got back to the range, with the intention of reverting back to my flat swing plane. And everything got smooth. Ballstriking was literally night and day. And did like Rock said, extending the right arm from the top (well that's what I understood :p ). The only logical conclusion was when my backswing was upright, I couldn't get my hands going down fast enough, causing a big out-to-in. But the thing is, the flat plane feels more natural to me (I call flat when the hands are just above shoulder level, with the left arm parallel to the shoulder line, or maybe that's normal??). And now, I can attack the ball from the inside, and am gaining Rock Solid Ballstriking. Truly happy today :)

Hey guys, the next round of Guiness is on me :eek:

I like to see though my beer, thanks. :)

But I like beer nonetheless.

Keep it up Loop. Sounds like it's coming together. Only a few hundred range buckets and you'll be there! :D

R35

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424