• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tee Boxes

Cobra guy

Reaction score
Question about tee box ages

When i was 12 i played from the Red Tees because i thought juniors (12 & under) played from the Reds. This year when i turned 13 i moved back to the Whites. Was my choice correct?

When i was 12 i played from the Red Tees because i thought juniors (12 & under) played from the Reds. This year when i turned 13 i moved back to the Whites. Was my choice correct?

That depends on how long the course is from the white tees compared to the red tees.

You are probably better off playing from the reds. Junior is 18& under BTW.

It would be better for your game, and all the people behind you if you stuck with the red tees for atleast one more year.

That depends on how long the course is from the white tees compared to the red tees.

You are probably better off playing from the reds. Junior is 18& under BTW.

It would be better for your game, and all the people behind you if you stuck with the red tees for atleast one more year.
kk. Thanks.

What's your driving distance?

Anyone over a 20 handicap should be playing reds.

This will emphasize your short game and help improve it as most of your approaches will be within 100 yards.

When you get your cap down to 10, or even scratch, move back. Your game should improve quickly as you won't be in nearly as many hazards and you'll get a lot of practice pitching and putting for "real scores" i.e. NEED to make it for par or bogey. Or even birdies.

It is a LOT tougher to make that 4 footer for par than it is for quad.

Now if every 20+ would just take that advice, we'd all get around in 3.5 hours.

Ahhhh, Utopia.

My 13 year old plays the reds because that's what the middle school team plays and he's on the team. For the summer I've asked him to play whites as much as possible because it'll help develop his long iron/hybrid/fairways game more. If you're playing during the day when it's not crowded (like he does), I'd suggest you play whichever tees you like and realize that if you move back you're going to spend more time on clubs you don't normally play. Also, be aware of others around you and don't hold anyone up. If it's crowded, move up to the reds until you've got some space behind you, and then play the whites.

Also, when you play high school golf (here, anyway), you move back to the whites for matches. Playing the whites during the summer when you're just practicing will help you get used to them for when you hit 9th or 10th grade.

btw, I noticed your signature. My boy plays the USK Tour Series set and really likes them, especially the wedges.

This will emphasize your short game and help improve it as most of your approaches will be within 100 yards.

When you get your cap down to 10, or even scratch, move back. Your game should improve quickly as you won't be in nearly as many hazards and you'll get a lot of practice pitching and putting for "real scores" i.e. NEED to make it for par or bogey. Or even birdies.

Ahhhh, Utopia.

Sorry, don't agree at all. Way too general a statement.

Play the white tees unless you can't drive the ball 200. You will get better. If you are hitting a bunch of 160-190 approach shots while practicing then when you play and your approach shots are under 130 it will seem easy.

Play whatever makes you feel confortable ;)

Ahhhh, Utopia.

My goal is NOT to make this a "bash this poster" thread. I will just say I completely disagree with these comments. I am a 25 handicap, and I could play too in 3.5 hours if all of the 10 handicaps out there stopped marking ALL of their putts, even when they're tap ins, or when they do hit a ball OB, they spend 10 mins looking for their ball.

Play from whatever tee box you want, makes no difference to me. Just make sure you keep up with the group in front of you. If there is a hole open in front of you, you're probably holding things up. Regardless of the tell box you're playing from.

Common sense and etiquette.

By the way, I play from the whites. Unless the course is really short (whites<6000 yards), then I'll play the blues.

Ahhhh, Utopia.
Most of my approaches from the white tees are under 100 yards. I'm still a 20...
icon9.gif

Ahhhh, Utopia.

Whoa! I'm a 26.6 handicap. I play courses setup to 6700 yards, give or take. My handicap is obviously an indication of my talent level, but... if I wanted to play a 5400 yard course, I'd just go play a par 3 setup.

Playing from the whites (or blues, depending on the course) gives me an opportunity to use every club, which is the only way I'm going to learn to hit them properly.

And, most of my 'bad shots' are topped irons from the fairway and I'm swinging again within 30 seconds... so I'm not holding anybody up. Now, I may be an exception to that rule, but... just because I've got a high handicap doesn't mean I'm a slow player.

In fact, my rounds average about 4 hours and 15 minutes. I like to play early to avoid the slow play in the afternoon... and I've played in clubs that penalize you during tournaments for slow-play.

That's a pretty harsh generalization to make, I think. But, again, as I said... I may be an exception to that rule, I don't know.

Regarding the original post... play what you're comfortable with. When I started playing, I was 13. I started on the whites and never moved forward. My drive, at the time, was about 175... which would leave me 200+ into most par 4 holes. Now, my drive is in the 230-250 range, which leaves me between 135 and 175 into most par 4 holes. If you feel that you're ready to move back to the white tees, do it. I've played with some kids who, even at 13 or 14, just kill the ball and are hitting 9 irons into greens I'm hitting 6 irons into, from the white tees. It's whatever you are comfortable with.

Good luck!

CY

Id say i drive around 200, 210, but yeahh you guys deffinetely made a point. Its basically a 175 approach to a 125 approach on Par 4's.

Play whatever you want...you pay the money...just make sure you don't hold anyone up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520