• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The danger of counterweighting putters.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Recently I acquired a well made putter from a OEM that begins with T and ends with t. The design is a face balanced. When you hold it up horizontally, the tip of the grip and the tip of the toe are balanced, and the face of the putter is then as level when held up horizontally as the surface of water in a glass.

In an effort to quiet the acceleration of hands, the club had been counterbalanced with approx 3 oz of handle weight, increasing overall mass, allowing a stronger player more leeway in stroke power acceleration factors.

Because of the double bend angles of the shaft, this additional overweight counterbalance weight added a fulcrum point beyond the original weight balance point of the shaft(horizontal balance point) and began to remove the face balance characteristics of the head design.

My point is that if you choose to add counterweight, prior to the addition check the face balance. You may need to add a few grams to the head to maintain the weight balance inherent to the head design or consider the reality of the weight change as it severely influences the swing path issues designed into the putterhead by the maker.

An easy way to understand the problem of an overweight handle is to add a bunch of lead tape to the toe of the putter.

Last edited:
In fairness there was 10 grams added to the head weight as well, IF it's the putter I think it is. ;)

Lol ok, but the counter weight I dug out of the shaft weighs 105g.

head weight around 52g for the traditional balance.

2/1 rato totaling 120g would approach the same mass for example and not cross the line of imbalancing the head.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422