• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Thinkin about a little experiment.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A while back someone posted about being at a demo days when the Ping rep told him to try a club without looking at any of the specs. Turned out to be a Rapture v2 in 12* (I think) with stiff shaft and said person (can't remember which one of you it was) said he was killing it if I remember right. So I was browsing ebay and started looking at imix stuff. I thought to myself "self,... I wonder what a FTIQ IMIX head in 11* would do when paired with a Proforce v2 or VS Proto?". What say ya'll?

You'll probably hit it 1.5 degrees higher than what you have in your sig right now. Depending on your swing speed, shaft selection, and a load of other things, you'll hit it farther, or shorter, or the same distance. It'll probably go a little straighter.

I can't see how people like the V2... I have an iMix V2 in Stiff if anyone is interested in buying it. My dad bought the shaft with a FT-5 Tour, and it was never a great match for him.

I can't see how people like the V2... I have an iMix V2 in Stiff if anyone is interested in buying it. My dad bought the shaft with a FT-5 Tour, and it was never a great match for him.

I love the V2, is by far my favorite shaft. I haven't tried "a lot", but the consistence in results I get when I have changed every club to a V2 shaft is more than noticeable. And I like the mate finish as well! :D. The problem with the V2 is the "stiffness" isn't that correct. I tried a stiff 75g on a 3w and I couldn't lift it off the ground even though I was used to have my shafts in "stiff". I changed to a regular version thinking it might flop due to the lack of "firmness" and for the first time I'm hitting my woods straight and as long as I would need to....

Nu, that was probably me. Mine had a diamana blue board in it. If I were going to go with a higher loft head, I would look for either a whiteboard or a blueboard. The blue board will be a smoother shaft, the whiteboard will be a firmer feel.

Nu, that was probably me. Mine had a diamana blue board in it. If I were going to go with a higher loft head, I would look for either a whiteboard or a blueboard. The blue board will be a smoother shaft, the whiteboard will be a firmer feel.

Was I right about that being a 12* head? The reason i'm thinking about this is because of how I hit my 3w off the tee.

Personally, I think you'll LOVE it!!! The straightness of the FT-IQ with the consistency of the VS Proto shaft, a winner in my book.

Just a recommendation, take it with as much salt as you like, but get the FT-IQ TOUR. Otherwise you'll be going from 1.5 degrees open on the HiBore XLS to a square to closed face on the FT-IQ. The Tour version is either 0.5 or 1* open so it'll be more like you're current setup. Or as Bry said, the BlueBoard would be very solid too if you can find one for cheap enough (not an easy task though).

Good luck Nu.

Personally, I think you'll LOVE it!!! The straightness of the FT-IQ with the consistency of the VS Proto shaft, a winner in my book.

Just a recommendation, take it with as much salt as you like, but get the FT-IQ TOUR. Otherwise you'll be going from 1.5 degrees open on the HiBore XLS to a square to closed face on the FT-IQ. The Tour version is either 0.5 or 1* open so it'll be more like you're current setup. Or as Bry said, the BlueBoard would be very solid too if you can find one for cheap enough (not an easy task though).

Good luck Nu.

Yeah, I noticed that any shaft worth a damn for the imix aint cheap.

Good luck Nu.

Yeah, I noticed that any shaft worth a damn for the imix aint cheap. Lefty, what do ya think about the regular Fti imix head? Also what's your thoughts on either one of those heads paired with a proforce?

Yeah, I noticed that any shaft worth a damn for the imix aint cheap. Lefty, what do ya think about the regular Fti imix head? Also what's your thoughts on either one of those heads paired with a proforce?

I actually havent had the chance to hit an I-Mix head yet but assuming the way that its all set up doesn't affect it any differently than a normal head / shaft combo, then you should be OK with this combo. But I'll tell you about my experiences with the items I have used.

ProForce V2 shaft. I had this shaft in 76g Stiff in a Bore-through Titleist 905 S head. To say I struggled with this shaft to begin with was an understatement. I finally got it going well, but it went right (hook) on me any time that I tried to put a remotely powerful swing on it. Now as I've said before my SS is only around 105mph, so I'm not exactly a brute. But I'm a hitter, more than a swinger if you get what I'm trying to say and this didn't work well for me in this shaft. So if you've got a quicker tempo swing, I'd recommend against it unless it was going into a Tour (open face) head. As for the 'boardy feeling' that most people say it has, I didn't experience it, but I felt it was too tip soft for me, so I felt the kick that this shaft can provide.

FT-I Tour: The one currently in my sig, this is just the old tour model, not the LCG. I'm bombing this bad boy at the moment and haven't missed too many right (my typical miss) so I see absolutely nothing wrong with the older heads. Great feel from this thing and its surprising how easy it is to get used to a square head when you see your ball travelling long and straight down the middle time after time. The sound is a little irritating but see last sentence, re: results and you soon dont care.

Now the LCG model: This thing got the ball up quicker than, but flattened out quicker than, the old tour model. No coincedence, as this is exactly what its designed to do. This is a high launch, low spin head and for the right player, it hits bombs. If you're struggling with too much spin (ball ballooning on you) or a launch thats too low to get optimum distance then this could be your guy. I love this head, its slightly easier to work the ball and hits it a little longer, while giving up a small amount of accuracy over the tour model. I have one on the way that will probably be getting a Creation and it should outperform everything else I've ever hit.

Now it all comes down to you, and you need to figure out your typical ballflight. If your slicing your XLS Tour then a move to a standard head could be for you, but if you're happy with your current shot shape then whichever head you get, make sure its a Tour version.

Then its your trajectory. Launch too low or ball spinning too much? LCG all the way my friend. If the opposite is happening then obviously the older model will help you out.

Put simply, after all my rambling, is if you're dead set on getting a V2 shaft and you hit your current setup well, then I would recommend (only a recommendation though) the V2 in 76g stiff, into an FT-I Tour LCG 9.5* head and swing away. Its pretty damn hard to be inaccurate with the FT-I line unless you have a head or shaft that REALLY don't work well with your swing.

Again, best of luck Nu.

Nu, yep 12* deg of loft on it. I am going to be looking around for another BB to put in it, as I broke the stock one that came in it. Got a Vodoo in it now, and it is ok, just not as smooth as the BB is.

Lefty, what do ya know about the Graphite Design ys-q 65g stiff? I went to their site and read the specs, but have you hit it? If so what does it play like?

Lefty, what do ya know about the Graphite Design ys-q 65g stiff? I went to their site and read the specs, but have you hit it? If so what does it play like?

I played the YS-Q in an adams XTD Pro, to me it played soft. I hit short hit balls with it. To me it's the exact opposite of the V2. The V2 plays stiff to flex, I feel the YSQ plays soft to flex. I had the same problem with the V2 that Xam had, tried a 76g S flex and couldn't get it off the ground. Everything I hit was a low weak fade.

Scrapping the ft-anything idea. I JUST DON'T LIKE anything Callaway. Hit a ftiq imix with a speeder 757 in it and just was not feelin it... at all. I like the imix idea, but don't really like anything Callaway. I have come to a determination though... I like the vs proto. I don't know if the ones i've hit are the real deal or not (they're made for Maxfli), but I love my fw's with them. Hit the Crossbax driver side by side with the ftiq and would take the Maxfli in a heartbeat. I'm not bullshittin you guys man, I don't know if it's the heads or shafts or just the combo, but these Crossbax clubs are NICE. If the shafts in them are not exactly the same they are damn close. Stable as hell and not whippy at all. Such a good feel. I feel like i'm absolutely destroying the damn ball. So the verdict is that I think my experiment is going to be a Maxfli Crossbax 10.5 w/ a vs proto stiff.

Jim is pretty much spot on with his assessment of the YS-Q especially some of them of the OEM variety. Truth be told I don't think I've found a graphite design shaft yet that has played true to what I believe a "standard" flex should be. They're all a bit on the soft side IMO.

Great news on the VS Proto though. In all honestly, the majority of driver heads are interchangeable so long as you find the one with the best face angle and loft for your swing. The shaft will then do the rest of your work. Don't know anything about the Crossbax but if you hit it well then use it and use it lots. As everyone knows, confidence is a huge factor in golf. If you think you can play a shot, then you actually have a chance of playing it. Vastly different to standing over a shot thinking thinking that you can't play it.

Get your combo and go hard Nu!!!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,420