• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tigers HDCP - just to rock the boat again

I played it some day during the week after the tournament, I forget which. The rough was unbelievable -- even with caddies, we were losing balls just from missing the fairway. Vijay's chip shot from over the 18th green to the back pin placement was just impossible.

And under non-tournament conditions my dad (a 3 handicap) has shot 72 there. It's not an impossible course in normal play.

wow, so you are saying the tournament conditions could have added as many as 15-16 shots... barring the fact that you might have not had a great day..

my logic, you are +1, your dad is 3.. so theres 4 shots.. and then he shot 72, you shot 86.. so 86-72=14... so it could have been even 18 shots??

Ah it's great to see people on their knees for Eldrick. Ill admit I'd pretty much have to career it to have a good chance if not win stroke per hole on a PGA setup course.

But being realistic, a stroke a hole on my home course, theres not too much of a chance me going north of 78, meaning he has to shoot 60 just to tie me. Tiger is effing great, but honestly even he doesnt go sub 60 very often.

That's all im going to say, as BigJim said, me and him beat this thing to death in the last thread:D. Twas a good fight there Jim eh?;)

Here's my experience.

I am about a 9 or so USGA handicap (21 euro). One of my favorite tracks back on Cape Breton is Welcome to BellBay Golf Club. I usually play there with my father in law when I am home on vacation is the summer. We usually play the white tees and the course measures about 6300 yards from there. I typically shoot about 77-80 there.

A few years ago the men's Canadian Amateur was being held there and we played it about 4 days before the tourney. The rough was unimaginable, the green speed was incredible. I shot 87 and felt like it was about 75.

Imagine playing a PGA tournament course, or any course tricked up for a tourney

wow, so you are saying the tournament conditions could have added as many as 15-16 shots... barring the fact that you might have not had a great day..

my logic, you are +1, your dad is 3.. so theres 4 shots.. and then he shot 72, you shot 86.. so 86-72=14... so it could have been even 18 shots??
You have to remember that this isn't a scientific sample, we didn't play a practice round, we're not used to those extreme conditions, etc. And we didn't exactly tear it up shooting those rounds of 86 and 84. I bet if we played it again the next day one of us would have broken 80.

You'd have to be stupid not to take a stroke a hole as a scratch golfer from Tiger Woods or any other player regardless of the course. That's a LOT of shots. If you get even a 2 or 3 shot lead, just go for bogey on every hole and you'll win the match.

Tour tracks are basically the players' home courses. They play them every year with the best caddies in the world. Of course there will be a difference from the 'normal' handicap of +8 or so.

Ah it's great to see people on their knees for Eldrick. Ill admit I'd pretty much have to career it to have a good chance if not win stroke per hole on a PGA setup course.

But being realistic, a stroke a hole on my home course, theres not too much of a chance me going north of 78, meaning he has to shoot 60 just to tie me. Tiger is effing great, but honestly even he doesnt go sub 60 very often.

That's all im going to say, as BigJim said, me and him beat this thing to death in the last thread:D. Twas a good fight there Jim eh?;)

Yeah that thread got huge if I remember correctly, it was fun, but agreed...beaten to death.

So my Yankees are off to an amazing start, LOL
icon10.gif

And the 49ers had a hell of a draft going so far, 1st round pick and I had never heard of him...

Yeah that thread got huge if I remember correctly, it was fun, but agreed...beaten to death.

So my Yankees are off to an amazing start, LOL
icon10.gif

And the 49ers had a hell of a draft going so far, 1st round pick and I had never heard of him...

im so sick of the draft.. theyve beaten it to death talking about it on ESPNNEWS for the last month...

i used to watch every pick for the first round, now i flip onto it for the first pick, and then read about the rest...

and the yankees are my team... after the home town nats... a-rod has been super hot, but the pitching has been AA worthy... something to say if a player can have the best april ever, and be on a losing record team..

i agree... if tiger were to give you a stroke a hole... you would beat him.. but your cap is better than that.. so hed only end up having to give you maybe 10 strokes...

im so sick of the draft.. theyve beaten it to death talking about it on ESPNNEWS for the last month...

i used to watch every pick for the first round, now i flip onto it for the first pick, and then read about the rest...

and the yankees are my team... after the home town nats... a-rod has been super hot, but the pitching has been AA worthy... something to say if a player can have the best april ever, and be on a losing record team..

I actually didnt get to watch any of the draft, just checked it out online. As for the Yank's pitching, I think its more of the Senior league than AA...

I actually didnt get to watch any of the draft, just checked it out online. As for the Yank's pitching, I think its more of the Senior league than AA...

you sound like jim rome... haha lol.. i know you were joking, but not by much of a stretch.. they really need chien ming wang, and pavano back... and torre needs to stop putting pettite in relief... pettite is their only decent healthy starter now... they really need him to pitch every 5 days... not to waste another days rest by pitching from the pen...

just wait until they shell out the big bucks for clemens, and then realize he wont be as good as last year, when he hasnt actually been getting ready...

and there is my baseball knowledge for the day...

I cannot believe I am going to fall into this

thing again, but here goes. There is much talk about the difficult conditions at a PGA event. I think a lot of those conditions actually work towards a lower score for the amateur that would go up against El Tigre. The greens are far smoother and putts role much more true. The fairways are so nice that your lie is great provided you made the fairway. With a stroke a hole, you could play for boggies rather than pars. Doing so keeps you in the fairway just about all the time. There is a good chance you will make some pars. Boggies for the scratch amateur are as good as pars; pars are as good as birdies.

There are many PGA events at which the conditions are not really that difficult, and the winning score gets to be 20 under and such. A scratch golfer might very well come close to par in those situations. They are not all like the US Open where even par often wins, or comes pretty close.

If the scratch golfer has a really good caddie, I think that would take off a few strokes.

I think a scratch golfer could shoot an 88 at a US OPen course, if he played for certain boggies, as mentioned before. This means El Tigre needs a 70 (par 72) to tie. Pretty even match, I would think, and really there should be no great surprise in that. The whole idea of a handicap is to allow weak golfers (not just scratch golfers) play against the very best which, of course, is El Tigre.

485 yard par four, no problem. Three wood off the tee for 230 yards. Hybrid on second shot for 200 yards. Wedge from the final 55 yards to where you have a chance to make the putt, and a very good chance for a two-putt boggie. Its not like this is anything new since it is a very good way to approach the hardest holes any time you play to avoid the really big numbers.

To be honest, I would think someone with a twenty-five handicap might do better than the scratch in a match agains El Tigre. Those kind of players often shoot in the fifties in rounds right before their handicaps start to fall.

One thing for certain, El Tigre will never play such a match. He would have nothing to gain by it, and might have something to lose.

Sincerely, Cypressperch

It is good to see that most are beginning to see that Tiger would have a lot of difficulty playing the scratch golfer, or any golfer, on such a golfer's home course. Scratch golfer shoots 72 so Tiger has to shoot 54 to tie when he is giving a stroke a hole. Just about impossible, even for Tiger.

Not completely on the same subject, but that TV commercial where Jack Nicklaus takes his best shots from all his Masters play and it comes out a 48--that is not quite as amazing as it sounds. If I took all the best scores I have made on each hole where I play, I would have a 49. Actually, some of my best shots might not have been made in producing that kind of 49, but I cannot see anyother way of getting to a specific score. Tiger or Jack or anyone else would have play quite a while to get below a 49 where I play, but again, why would they want to?

Great post Cypress. The Nicklaus thing, i never heard about that.

If i took all my best shots on my home course, I would have 47. Birdied every hole, eagled every par 5 (4), eagled 2 of the par threes and one of the par 4s.

Hehe, I beat Jack at something:) (nobody mention what he's probly done on his home course:D)

And obviously you could insert Phil Mickelson or Retief Goosen or Luke Donald for Tiger Woods in all of these posts -- all those guys must have scoring averages within a shot or so of each other.

Sandpiper>>
Hole in ones on two par 3's at your home course? Nice job. I still have none :( ...in time though :)

Thx, almost had another one today. I lipped out:( Landed about 2 inches short left of the cup, bounced past it and spun back and lipped out:( Exact same scenario as my 2nd one, execpt this one didnt stay in.

Thx, almost had another one today. I lipped out:( Landed about 2 inches short left of the cup, bounced past it and spun back and lipped out:( Exact same scenario as my 2nd one, execpt this one didnt stay in.
You poor baby :p

Hehe, it was a good front nine today. I need some mental game help though... that back nine was just hell.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520