• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

uncomfortable

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard that a correct golf swing may not be the most comfortable in a couple of golf mag articles & such. I used to be a slicer and then had a round where I was pulling them real bad. The last couple rounds i've played i've had a pretty good handle on keeping the driver in play, but the swing i've been using to do that feels wierd. I know it's better cause i've been able to pick my misses and repeat the swing pretty well, but it just isn't the most comfortable. Anyone else ever have this feeling?

You just need to give the swing changes time to become natural. It will feel better and better as time goes on.

When i first made major swing changes to cure my slice it felt very weird, however now it feels like my natural swing.

Like what eclark wrote, anything that isn't exactly what you were doing before is going to feel "uncomfortable". But, you chose not to do what was making you comfortable because you weren't getting the results you wanted, right? I'm pretty sure Hogan wrote himself in his 5 Lessons book that "if you take very instinct you have about hitting a ball and do the complete opposite, you'll have a good swing".

Personally, when I am making a swing change, I seek out that uncomfortable feeling. That feeling lets me know that I'm not doing what I was doing before -- it certainly doesn't mean what I am doing now is right, just that I'm not doing the same thing I was doing before that I know was wrong.

What they said above ^.

My swing feels so foreign to me right now from some changes I made recently, so I can relate to what you're going through. I've done this before, hang in there, it will feel normal soon enough.

I wouldn't say 'comfortable', just 'normal'. You've got to get used to a proper swing. (Not that I have a proper swing at the moment. :()

Like what eclark wrote, anything that isn't exactly what you were doing before is going to feel "uncomfortable". But, you chose not to do what was making you comfortable because you weren't getting the results you wanted, right? I'm pretty sure Hogan wrote himself in his 5 Lessons book that "if you take very instinct you have about hitting a ball and do the complete opposite, you'll have a good swing".

Personally, when I am making a swing change, I seek out that uncomfortable feeling. That feeling lets me know that I'm not doing what I was doing before -- it certainly doesn't mean what I am doing now is right, just that I'm not doing the same thing I was doing before that I know was wrong.

You just need to give the swing changes time to become natural. It will feel better and better as time goes on.

When i first made major swing changes to cure my slice it felt very weird, however now it feels like my natural swing.

All very true. I've set a goal this year to straighten my lifelong fade with my driver and FW clubs. As I've gotten older and my swing speed has declined, the reliable "power fade" has lost me a lot of distance and made the par 5's and longer par 4's much more difficult for me. I always knew where the ball was gonna go, it was just not going as far getting there... :laugh:

For the past dozen or so rounds I am working very hard on hitting the ball straight instead of fading it. I'm making progress but 35 years of hitting a fade is a hard swing feeling to break. Slowly, the new swing is starting to feel "normal" and I guess better. Sometimes the old fade swing creeps back in and I have to remind myself of some pretty basic things to hit it straight. I'll keep at it though since I've proven to myself that I can indeed hit it straight and am rewarded with drives that are 15-20 yds. (sometimes more) longer.

Keep at it, pretty soon it will feel natural and not uncomfortable at all.

What was the old line? "I once taught a girl that used to be a slicer, I turned her in to a hooker. I gave up teaching" :laugh:

I used to think a swing should feel comfortable but no more. In the "4 Magic Moves" lesson package it says you are coiling a strong spring and it shouldn't feel comfortable. They are correct.

:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422