• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

U's and V's

3puttwizard

Reaction score
hello, this is my first thread!

ive heard the uspga might be banning u groove wedges. does this mean my titliest vokey spin milled wedge will then be non conforming? or does it not apply to me until R&A ban it aswell?

cheers, Steve

Hi Steve, welcome to ShotTalk. It depends what level you play at. The rule change comes into effect next season for the Pro's but not for another ten years or so for us amatuers... The only amatuers it's gonna effect in the next few years are those that are playing in the likes of County events and Open qualifiers. For us club golfers it doesn't effect us for a good while yet so you can Bomb and gauge to your hearts content. :)

No worries you have lot's of time, but yes most likely manufactures will only make V groove or a modified U groove assuming the USGA pushes this through. It seems crazy to me that with all of the tech advancements with balls and drivers the USGA decides to go after old technology first.

They claim with the balls and clubs today, the groove will only take a step back to make it a tad harder to get spin out of say, the rough and kinda shoddy lies...

I guess to make it tougher and exciting I guess. Instead of expecting them to get a ball to back up from 120 yards out, from 5 inch rough, they will just catch it hot and fly the green.

They claim with the balls and clubs today, the groove will only take a step back to make it a tad harder to get spin out of say, the rough and kinda shoddy lies...

I guess to make it tougher and exciting I guess. Instead of expecting them to get a ball to back up from 120 yards out, from 5 inch rough, they will just catch it hot and fly the green.

Yeah...SOOO much more fun to watch...i can see that on the golf course watching myself...(bsides the 5"rough)

When i watch pro golf...i want to see pro shots.

Yeah...SOOO much more fun to watch...i can see that on the golf course watching myself...(bsides the 5"rough)

When i watch pro golf...i want to see pro shots.

Exactly... Even the folk over at Augusta decided that they needed to set the course up so it was possible to go low this year. Nobody wants to watch Par and Bogey golf, Birdies and Eagles create atmosphere which is why we watch. But hey they will find ways of createing the same amount of spin with the new/old grooves. Have you ever hit one of the old Cobalt RAM wedges? They provide more spin than a Vokey SM but they feel very harsh, they will trade a little feel for a little more spin.

The V-groove/U-groove changeover happens in 2010. It only matters for pro comps and highest level amatuer events. At the club level you have until 2024, or 15 years. Like anyone that posts to an internet golf forum will ever have a club, especially a wedge, in their bag for 15 years.:p

Flip side though, any clubs made after 2009 with U-grooves will be considered non-conforming. So if you feel you NEED u-grooves, buy them now.

In all actuality though, most all club golfers do not use the U-grooves correctly anyway and will see ZERO difference with the V-grooves.

Much ado about nothing.

I personally think that the V-Groove rule and the way it is being implamented are the stupidist thing I have ever heard of and I hope the USGA backs off of it or reconsiders. I for one will not change and will use a groove sharpener if need be to get the grooves I want. I sure won't be running out to buy new V-Groove wedges when a worn out square groove wedge will perform better than a brand new V-Groove wedge. There is no need to make the game more difficult than it already is. If the USGA wanted to do something they should have made a change to the ball first or even cap the size of driver heads at 350 or 400cc. Changing the ball makes alot more sence to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520