• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Viking Classic canceled

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Reaction score
The PGA announced that the Viking Classic has been canceled. No make up date will be scheduled. Would this have been the case had it occurred earlier in the season, or in a larger television market? Somehow I doubt it would have. But the facts that the event is played in Madison,Ms. and not in San Diego,Ca. or Tampa,Fl. coupled with the season practically being over for the year added up to it being a throw away event in the mind of the PGA.

Personally I don't think its fair. Its not fair to the community which needed to economic boost, its not fair to the professional players who needed the winnings to attempt to earn or keep their PGA cards, and its not fair to the volunteers who sat in the rain all week long. Yes I was one of those volunteers, one of literally an army of them. I was amazed at the number of people it takes to host a PGA event, 99% of whom are not getting paid to do so. Would they have had as many volunteers available next weekend? Probably not, but they could have made the neccesary arangements.

I am very curious to hear the PGA's reasoning for cancelling the event entirely.

That sucks. I'm really surprised they just didn't pack everybody up and go to a drier golf course.

Yeah, considering they said a course across the street(or close by) was literally dry to the bone because of where it was in the elevation and the course conditions.

Are they still going to allow you to play the course like they said?

Grab an extra dz. of balls for your troubles too. :)

I worked 5 shifts through the week, so I'm sure I'll get to play in the tourny. It will probably be pretty small though. Unless they let the ones who were counting on the weekend dates to get their 4 shifts in count them. But seeing as how its an exclusive CC, the fewer of us mere peons they have to allow on the course the better they'll like it, :D

The PGA announced that the Viking Classic has been canceled. No make up date will be scheduled. Would this have been the case had it occurred earlier in the season, or in a larger television market? Somehow I doubt it would have. But the facts that the event is played in Madison,Ms. and not in San Diego,Ca. or Tampa,Fl. coupled with the season practically being over for the year added up to it being a throw away event in the mind of the PGA.

Personally I don't think its fair. Its not fair to the community which needed to economic boost, its not fair to the professional players who needed the winnings to attempt to earn or keep their PGA cards, and its not fair to the volunteers who sat in the rain all week long. Yes I was one of those volunteers, one of literally an army of them. I was amazed at the number of people it takes to host a PGA event, 99% of whom are not getting paid to do so. Would they have had as many volunteers available next weekend? Probably not, but they could have made the neccesary arangements.

I am very curious to hear the PGA's reasoning for cancelling the event entirely.

this does suck and no its not fair. i've worked and volunteered at tour events in the past and wet tournaments suck - remember the 96 greensboro classic faxon and nobilo in a playoff - drenched.

the pga tour historically is known more for doing the right thing than not. i dont know what they have in mind, but i would be shocked if they didnt do something special next year, be it donate more to area charities, have a marquee skins game, i dunno exactly what but they'll do something, even if its something not publicized. they'll do something to help the cause

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520