• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wedges on a budget...

RC52

It's in the hole-ASSCLOWN
Reaction score
So i don't want to spend a lot of scratch on some new wedges. Looking to maybe spend $100 total on a GW and SW. I'm a high handicapper, i get out probably once a week. I need some suggestions, and the benefits/differences between forged, milled or both and if it's worth it for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I heard the Reid Lockhart are ball shredders, is that pretty common will milled faces?

These are new from Hireko, Hireko Golf - Product Detail

I really like the looks of the Srixon and Cleveland Gunmetal finish. Are they worth the brand name?

You can get brand new Cleveland cg10 wedges on ebay right now for about 50 bucks per club. They are close outs. Buy from a Major seller or just go to ROCKBOTTOMGOLF.COM. CG 10s were Golf Digest Editors Choice on their hot list just a couple of years ago. I play a 47 deg wedge that came with my set, a 52 deg gap wedge, a 56 deg sand wedge and a 60 deg lob wedge. yardages go 47- 135, 52- 115, 56- 105, 60- 85. Be sure to have the lofts adjusted on any new club because they are rarely correct when new. I check all my lofts 3 times a year and always need a tweak or 2. Needless to say, I'm deadly from yardages of 135 down to 80 yards. Play the ball in the middle of your stance, square the face and keep your hands ahead of the club head through impact with any short iron and you will get a low trajectory shot that stops on the second hop. This swing is the key to not spinning the ball back off of the green.

Wow, 88cupfan. That was a lot more information than was asked for, but it was quite good!

Milled faces and such DO help the ball stop on short chips, when lower swing speeds are generated.

True, milled faces do help stop the ball. Sometimes, to much on short chips that you want to land on the front edge of the green and allow to release to the hole. A CG 10 will hold on half to full swings and release on shorter chips.

Ebay. I bought all my wedges on Ebay and they cost about $50 each. Im personally a fan of forged wedges for the soft feel and thats why I play Mizunos.
In my own defense, I bought my Vokey back when I still bought into the mystique of Vokey wedges.

I would second the Tom Watson wedges. For a high handicapper the Wilson Harmonized Wedges would be a good choice too.

I think anything with the name Watson associated to it, you can't go wrong with. Easily one of the greatest short gamers ever, Tom Watson knows a good wedge!! I'm not sure how closely he works with the club manufacturing itself, but he strikes me as the type of fellow who would be very involved.

I play CG11's myself. Can't say too much about them though, but so far I'm liking them a lot!! I bought the three clubs last winter for about $170 total when I dedicated myself to short game practice. I'd say its been about 70% general short game improvements and 30% club involvement, but improvements none-the-less!! I just recently had the lie/lofts adjusted on the three wedges as well, so I'm extra excited for the snow to start melting!!

I would second the Tom Watson wedges. For a high handicapper the Wilson Harmonized Wedges would be a good choice too.

The Wilsons were the other ones I was thinking of. Great looking wedges.:thumbs up:

R35

I currently looking to upgrade my wedges as well and I found a site called RankMark.com that has been very helpful. They tested several of the newest wedges out there and ranked them based on several different factors. I hope it helps you make a great choice!

P.S. the wedge test can be found at rankmark.com/test-result/wedges/2008-12-wedgetest.html

What happened to the 15 post minimum for links?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

FedEx Ranking

Back