• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What did you buy today?

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
United States United States
I did buy a TM Sim2 Max D 3 wood.
Was not sure I would like it, however it’s doing good so far.
Wanted something with a stiff shaft, to sort of compare to how getting a stiff shafted TM driver has helped my game.

the 16 loft bothered me, but it’s getting good , good distance and I can’t complain about the ball flight.

is it true, that ping Karsten once said every club should have a stiff shaft?

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Wanted something with a stiff shaft, to sort of compare to how getting a stiff shafted TM driver has helped my game.

the 16 loft bothered me, but it’s getting good , good distance and I can’t complain about the ball flight.

I believe he was referring to iron shafts when he made that statement. I also believe in the early days Ping only offered one flex in the Eye 2’s. Of course, shaft tech has improved a bit since Karsten said that and the Eye 2‘s were being produced.

For most of us, going up or down a flex or two will not appreciably impact performance. Shaft flex is more important if you are on an extreme end of the shaft loading spectrum.

Enjoy your new fairway.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country

The Karsten I, II, III, and IV... The Eye's... The Eye 2's were all released with what were stiff flex shafts. Many did not carry a "S" or "R" label, but were on the stiff scale. The Eye 2 BeCu irons were equipped with the Brunswick Microtaper shafts which were about as stiff as a piece of 1/2" galvanized pipe.
The laminated woods were also released with stiff shafts.
Karsten was a believer in consistency over distance. Hit more club and hit your target rather than brag to your buddies you were hitting one club less than they are. Karsten didn't even use a ladies flex and hundreds of women played the Eye 2's.
Eye 2+ irons were released with both the ZZ Lite carry over from the Eye 2 line and with the KT shafts. The KT seemed a little stiffer than the ZZ Lite, but had a very thin wall. Really late released Eye 2+ irons did have the option of JZ's in either "S" flex or "R" flex.
When the Zings were released the were equipped with the KT shafts. The KT's began shearing off just about the hozel. Karsten tried to correct it with the KT-M... KT Modified but the damage was done for the Zing line. Zing 2's had the JZ options.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
These are GREAT!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Ordered set of Maltby STi2 irons, with the low cost TT Score shafts….
No really good reason I guess…
Let’s see if the high Maltby playability factor is for real lol.
431 Stainless... Good!!! Super game improvement.... Good!!! Competitive price... Good! Will be interesting to see what you think.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
A particular type of pitch mark/divot repairer (this). It slides onto the top part of the pocket and stays in place. I lost a similar one on a recent round. It might seem like a small issue but I don’t like being stabbed in the thigh by a pitch mark repairer at the bottom of my pants pocket.

1625527416023.jpeg
1625527564958.jpeg

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
A particular type of pitch mark/divot repairer (this). It slides onto the top part of the pocket and stays in place. I lost a similar one on a recent round. It might seem like a small issue but I don’t like being stabbed in the thigh by a pitch mark repairer at the bottom of my pants pocket.

View attachment 32356View attachment 32357
I like this one

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I like this one

I am in by no means pointing fingers here. Both are wonderful options, but the best one is the one used to fix your pitch marks!! This just coming from a greenskeeper, with love of course!

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
The Maltby Sti2 irons were kind of a let down.
The 5 and 6 will go in the bag. My current 5 and 6 are much older clubs. Except the hogan Ptx pro, which I don’t like. It has poor distance, imho.

the Maltby 7,8,9 not going in the bag.
hit my hogan icons much better, easier. Strange how a so called blade can be so easy to hit well.
The accuracy of the 8,9 and pitching wedge is awesome.

Disclaimer - I still suck at golf though lol!

will take the Maltby’s to the range more, work with them, see what happens. Maybe it’s the $10 oem true temper shafts. You get what you pay for , right?

Last edited:

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
ok!! golf store day ! gawd its been...weeks... lol
Took Back the TM 3 wood. no magic in it.

took my Cobra speedzone fz and ore some other letters, to find a Stiff shaft (a story on that )
ended up spending like 35 bucks more and took home a TM Sim Max 10.5 with Ventus Blue 6-S.

range time:
yes some slices... also some great draws and good distance. The store monitor had me a hell of a lot faster ball speed than the stock cobra (119 typ) the cobra with Tensii blue-something stiff was mid 120's. the TM was 130 to 135 with a 138.
apprarently though I can hit some draws with this TM, so I will be working on my setup and swing. taking my TM R9 as backup though, even if its just mental, lol.

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
The new Sim Max worked well enough!
Though I just could not put together any kind of game overall.
I think I’ll play with the adjustments a bit start with lowered lift.
Also kind of a buy, ..
I have just sent a message to an instructor that I have had good luck with in the distant past, hope he gots a time slot that works

🔥 Latest posts