• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What do you eat and how do you cook it?

I printed it off too, but got way ahead of myself and may have added some extra stuff in it. Is this stuff optional?

10* Ping G2 Driver
16* 1i/R Cleveland Halo
19* 2i/R Cleveland Halo
23* 4i/R Cobra Baffler
Ping i3+ 5i-PW
Ping Tour Black Chrome Nickel 52* GW - 12* Bounce
Mizuno Raw Black Ox 56* SW - 8* Bounce
Ping Tour Brushed/Polished 60* LW - 8* Bounce
Odyssey White Hot XG #7 Putter

:D

R35

I will try your recipe...am printing it now and will make some the next time I barbeque....It's been since Labor Day the last time I smoked ribs and I am overdue.

I also like grilled Salmon and buy mine at Costco...

Yes the cooking out process is almost as fun as eating it. We are having a warm weekend and I sat outside in a golf shirt/jeans with a vodka cocktail and watched my daughter playing with all four dogs while I cooked....

Are you originally from Kansas City? Trivia fact: That's where I was born...my parents lived in Shawnee Mission KS and all three of us kids where born at St. Luke's Hospital over on the Missouri side of the river.

Kinda weird. We were all born in a state that we never lived in....
You should like the recipe if you have familiarity with KC BBQ. I buy my salmon at BJ's Wholesale, so probably the same as Costco. Usually by the time my wife shows up on Friday night the food is about done, and I am likely two steps ahead of it on beer and liquor. Smoking is a hard job, glad my wife can realize that fact. I figure I am good for at least one or two beers every time I open the grill to flip the food.:)

Actually my father was in the military, so I was born in Ft Monmouth, NJ yet only lived there 2 months, so like you, I couldn't tell you much about where I was born. I spent alot of time in KS between Ft Leavenworth and Lawrence (KU). Both of my parents grew up there, and my wife is from there, so I likely spent the least amount of time there as anyone in my family. My father grew up around the Plaza in KC, and my mother was from Wichita. They also have family in Raytown. And my wifes brother has lived in KC and Overland Park for a good amount of time.

I moved about 19 times before I even reached college, although most of the time I have spent has been in PA, KS, VA, and AZ on many different occasions. Probably in that order.

I printed it off too, but got way ahead of myself and may have added some extra stuff in it. Is this stuff optional?

10* Ping G2 Driver
16* 1i/R Cleveland Halo
19* 2i/R Cleveland Halo
23* 4i/R Cobra Baffler
Ping i3+ 5i-PW
Ping Tour Black Chrome Nickel 52* GW - 12* Bounce
Mizuno Raw Black Ox 56* SW - 8* Bounce
Ping Tour Brushed/Polished 60* LW - 8* Bounce
Odyssey White Hot XG #7 Putter

:D

R35
I'm thinking of using the Black Ox to stir it next time I make it. I'm guessing it will make it rust faster. :) God only knows that my insides are rusted out after the years of abuse.:D

Printing out the recipe also. Great pics of your grills, Gentlemen..........I do alot of grilling in the summer here in the frozen tundra. I use charcoal but have never seen that type of charcoal around here. Use Bullseye barbecue sauce when I'm short on time............also KC. Damn.........I'm so hungry looking at these food pics, that I'm heading to raid the refrig.:)

Printing out the recipe also. Great pics of your grills, Gentlemen..........I do alot of grilling in the summer here in the frozen tundra. I use charcoal but have never seen that type of charcoal around here. Use Bullseye barbecue sauce when I'm short on time............also KC. Damn.........I'm so hungry looking at these food pics, that I'm heading to raid the refrig.:)
FYI, the recipe is nothing like KC Masterpiece. I can likely say you will not be disappointed if you like KC Masterpiece. The Gates I mentioned is Gates and Sons BBQ in KC, which is just on a different playing field from what you can find on the market in most places outside of BBQ Havens. With the modifications I mentioned at the end, it comes in midway between Gates, and Arthur Bryants, which is considered the most renowned BBQ in KC, and one of the top in the US. Although this is closer to Gates.

... if you like BBQ, and are in KC, it would be a sin to not visit one of these estblishments, the Arthur Bryants on Brooklyn Ave is the original, and nothing compare to the experience, although I probably would recommend you do so in daylight.
http://www.arthurbryants.com/
http://www.gatesbbq.com/

If you fly through KC on a layover, they now have Bryants satellites in the airport, but it is just not the same and I won't eat at them any more because it ruins the memories. However they do sell both types of sauce over the counter in the stores. More expensive than in the stores, but beggers can't be choosers.

edit 1 - It looks like you can now order the sauce off either website by the case for those who don't want to get their hands dirty. Sure, now they do this, I used to carry it back in my suitcase wrapped up in my clothes prior to making my own.

Welp, gotta go, getting ready to make Gumbo for tonight.

They had a story about them on the Food Channel. Definitely would be a place to visit in Kansas City.:)

I watched an episode of "Dirty Jobs" a couple of years ago, and he went to a charcoal factory, but I still cannot figure out how burning wood makes charcoal...

Great pictures and information in this thread guys... :thumbs up:

I remain,

spankdoggie

I got mine at Home Depot. I guess the brand has changed but this is it.

Char-Broil Silver Smoker - 03201560 at The Home Depot

Yeah that's it. Mine is now 8 years old and the wooden handle and fire grate finally gave out. I ordered replacement parts from Char-Broil (which bought out the little Texas company that invented it) and they were promptly shipped...

GREAT smoker/grill for the money...

Mine is now going on 12 years. Although the wood front is weathered but still usable, the handle and everything else seem fine. I do have a little rust around the side smoke box, but the thing is made of such heavy material, it would likely take another 20 years to rust through. I could also scrape it off and repaint it with grill paint.

BTW, although that is the same grill, they have changed the design somewhat. I believe it is a little lighter grade Metal, and the stand is different. You will notice it has a tube frame that spans accross the bottom This is not the same and likely not as sturdy a frame. Plus I would think in time the it gives a large area for the frame to break down.

Notice the bottom frame in this link, mounts directly to the unit with a welded bracket that bolts on, and has no bend. You will also see the minor rust I mentioned, as well as the weathered wood.
http://www.shottalk.com/forum/attac...o-you-eat-how-do-you-cook-dinner-7_resize.jpg

If any of you guys get through KC, shoot me a PM. I'll take you to the really good barbeque joints... :D

Aside from the two places PAJayhawk mentioned, I also like:

Jack Stack Barbeque
Rosedale Barbeque
and a little bbq joint called Smokin' Joes, which is right up the road from me.

There are a ton of good bbq places in KC and I'm not sure I'd list KC Masterpiece among them... (it's kind of the McDonalds of bbq joints) :rolleyes:

If any of you guys get through KC, shoot me a PM. I'll take you to the really good barbeque joints... :D

Aside from the two places PAJayhawk mentioned, I also like:

Jack Stack Barbeque
Rosedale Barbeque
and a little bbq joint called Smokin' Joes, which is right up the road from me.

There are a ton of good bbq places in KC and I'm not sure I'd list KC Masterpiece among them... (it's kind of the McDonalds of bbq joints) :rolleyes:
Forgot about Smokin' Joes. Right down the street from one of the finer Steakhouses I have found in the US. Kansas City Steak House - Hereford House - Kansas City Fine Dining Located next to what used to be one of the Biggest Stockyards in the US. Although KC has always been at the top of my BBQ list, they are no slouch for Steak either.

We just got back from KS a couple weeks ago, and did manage to visit the newer Arthur Bryant's by the Speedway. Actually the first place we stopped from the airport. While the food was just as good as I remember and it is a much nicer restaurant and location, there is just something about the atmosphere of the original place that makes it stand out and will always be what I remember in Arthur Bryants.

I agree KC Masterpiece would be like going to Italy, South Philly or NYC and eating at an Olive Garden or Pizza Hut. The foods not bad, but I wouldn't even consider their BBQ sauce towards the top of the list of what I can find in PA. I would probably consider going there if they had one up here, and would maybe even consider it one of the best around, but not for KC.

edit 1 - Actually, I see now you live in Olathe, and not up by the Hereford House. Didn't realize they had one there.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520