• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What Shafts do I need?

bigsandals

Reaction score
I am finally going to treat myself to a new set of irons this year. Not sure why but the Adams A2 OS caught my eye. I want to go in and hit a set before I purchase them....but would rather buy online and not pay retail. I was wondering whether anyone out there can take a guess as to what shaft stiffness would be required. I am 6'2" 195lbs and have a normal swing speed I would say. I know this is something I should ask a sales clerk...but I feel bad using them for club fitting and not purchasing at their store.

This will help you figure out your size and all, with a normal swing you are probably Reg Flex, but man you should definitely demo some clubs with different shafts to get a better idea.

R flex, welcome aboard! :)

bigsandals said:
I am finally going to treat myself to a new set of irons this year. Not sure why but the Adams A2 OS caught my eye. I want to go in and hit a set before I purchase them....but would rather buy online and not pay retail. I was wondering whether anyone out there can take a guess as to what shaft stiffness would be required. I am 6'2" 195lbs and have a normal swing speed I would say. I know this is something I should ask a sales clerk...but I feel bad using them for club fitting and not purchasing at their store.

Offer to pay them $30 for the fitting.

Honestly, why is is that people have such a hard time paying a little more for clubs from a retailer who has the tools, expertise, and equipment available to help us make a good purchasing decision?

Buy a set of clubs from the discount retailer that helped you pick the right clubs, and you may pay $30-$50 more. Big effing deal. It was worth it to you.

Excuse me for ranting, but this is a pet peeve of mine. When the retailers go out of business because everyone buys online, there won't be any way to demo clubs. And if you think that any of the online guys are going to allow you to "try and buy" much longer, you're living in a dream world. As people keep seeking only the lowest price, the vendors will be forced to cut costs in any way possible - and that includes the cost of managing equipment returns.

Have you heard of "lowest-bid" medicine? It's a new insurance plan in which doctors actually bid for your business. I don't know about you, but the whole "I've got to find the lowest cost mentality" is getting WAY out of hand.

Again, forgive the rant, and nothing personal.

I'm not sure what you do for a living....but I'm a working stiff who can't afford $600 for a new set of irons. I can save upwards of $200 buying online. Let me know where I can get a set Adams A2 OS w/graphite for $400 retail and I am there. And nothing personal but I don't want to hear it for buying online because two-thirds of the posts on this website are guys talking about the great new club they bought online. Just my little rant back atcha.

two-thirds of the posts on this website are guys talking about the great new club they bought online.

Yeah but they all still live with their mommy's and have no real life expenses. ;)

bigsandals said:
I'm not sure what you do for a living....but I'm a working stiff who can't afford $600 for a new set of irons. I can save upwards of $200 buying online. Let me know where I can get a set Adams A2 OS w/graphite for $400 retail and I am there. And nothing personal but I don't want to hear it for buying online because two-thirds of the posts on this website are guys talking about the great new club they bought online. Just my little rant back atcha.

All I'm saying is that if we don't support the retailers who invest the money that allows us to demo equipment, then the chance to demo equipment will disappear. Simple equation.

If you know that you want the Adams clubs, then by all means buy them for the cheapest possible price. But you asked whether it would be fair to demo a bunch of clubs at the local retailer, then buy online. My answer is still an unequivocal NO.

Slingblade61 said:
Yeah but they all still live with their mommy's and have no real life expenses. ;)

I'm in that boat, yay! Of course, I do have one good sized expense...college, books and tuition, blah.

As far as Eracer's comment goes, I tend to agree. The possibility of not being able to demo clubs is a dangerous ones, I haven't bought a club yet that I haven't been able to take to the range, green(chipping or putting), or play with.

Oh, and back on topic, I'd demo and find out what shafts fit your speed the best and what you like the feel of the best. I'm guessing R flex soft tip though.

JEFF4i,

Are you liking those blades you borrowed from your dad better then your i3's? Your low score came with the Pings didn't it?

bigsandals said:

My suggestion is if you know that little about your swing, you have two options, #2 being the best if possible.

#1- Get a Static Fitting from a reputable clubmaker/fitter

#2- Invest a few bucks and get a Dynamic fitting, along with some Launch Monitor time, it can be very valuable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520