• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What to do when...

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Reaction score
what do you do when you just dont want to golf anymore? And not playing isnt an option.

To explain, i want to and love practising, but as soon as i get out there, i really dont want anything to do with golf. When i go to a tourney round, im pumped to play, and it shows because on the first 5 holes of my first 3 spring tour events im -7, but as soon as a make a few bogies (not just one or two, but like 3-5 in a row, and its happening), i just absolutely lose my concentration and just want to go back home, like i keep trying after one or two or three, but they just keep bogeying, like lipping out, taking a bounce off the fw into the weeds etc, it just keeps happening...

Why not playing isnt an option is that I have the last two events this weekend and next for spring tour, then the qualifier for the Optimist Jr International in 3 weeks, then the BC mens amateur qualifier the week after, THEN another 5 weeks from now, the BC Jr. qualifier.... I just cant not golf right now and i want to golf, but as soon as i get there i just dont want to anymore....

Help me...... this blows:p I wish i could be kyle lagrasso, i bet he doesnt think of anything when he golfs, he just does it for purity.

golf is supposed to be fun... you need to relax, and have fun, the scores will come to you... dont put pressure on yourself.... it seems like you are doing a good job of that thru the first couple holes.

What do you do when you fear that evil men, armed with machetes, may break into your house and slaughter your children in front of you at any time?

Or you just don't know where your next meal is coming from?

Or even that the company you've worked for for 30 years decides they have to eliminate pensions, then they fire you.

Perspective my man. It is a privilege to be able to engage in a leisurely waste of time like golf. Never forget that. And if you just don't enjoy playing right now, then stop playing for a while. Commit yourself to not pick up a club for a month. If you love the game, you'll be back. Maybe with a little more joy for this wonderful game, and a little less self-pity (I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's what I'm hearing. I know that it's hard to judge someone's intent from typed words, and I think it's perfectly normal to get frustrated when things aren't going the way you planned, and maybe it's more important to you because you're making a career of it. But take a lesson from the top players. They know that golf is mostly about learning how to lose. You try to win, but the percentages say that most of the time you won't. Bad breaks happen. You've got to learn to accept that with a calm mind, and focus on why you love the game.

If bogeys are your worry, then I envy your golf game, my friend. It takes a really unforgivable shot (like the one I had yesterday) to make me want to throw my clubs into the woods and run into the hills.

I suppose what you ought to do is stop getting those bogeys. You still have room for improvement, so improve. No one is demanding you stop getting better. Don't leave it to chance on a bounce into the weeds; plac your ball better. You're a very good golfer; take the extra step and be a very GREAT golfer.

sounds like your issues are more mental.. ever tried a sports phsycolgist? you know, getting around the mental aspect of the game.. this may help you re-focus when you do bogey.. remember you will bogey many times from here on, it just depends on how you deal with it and move on..

as far as not wanting to be there, everyone needs to take a break sometimes, regardless of how much you may love it.. its good to take a step back, recharge the batteries and come back refreshed

Go to chapters NOW, and get this

Bob Rotella - golf is not a game of perfect

this book was like a light switch going off for me. Literally changed the way I play the game in one night. The book just hit in the face like a hammer, I read it on one sitting.

Go to chapters NOW, and get this

Bob Rotella - golf is not a game of perfect

this book was like a light switch going off for me. Literally changed the way I play the game in one night. The book just hit in the face like a hammer, I read it on one sitting.

That is a must read for any golfer.

Hey Piper,

Eracer does have a point but I think this perspective is something you gain with maturity. After my long break from the game I came back a lot more mature and with a family. I stopped living and dying with every shot and started treating this sport like a game. I'm a very competative person by nature and I take my athletics very seriously and that hasn't changed, however, I now use a coin my son gave me for father's day a few year's back as my ball marker. This coin reminds me of the bigger picture every time I mark my ball which really helps to keep things in perspective.

Lyle and Eracer are correct. Go get Rotella's book and read it. It should help you out a great deal. Let golf happen don't try to make it happen. Every shot is an adventure.

I do own that book, and last time i finished reading it was the best golf id ever played enjoyment wise, and the scores followed, dug it out yesterday and im starting to re-read it.

As you guys have said, i do that this very seriously (obv...), as ive given up 3 other sports that i played at a high level for golf. And the perspective part, yea, im an 18 yr old just trying to grad and get the hell outta HS, not much of a big picture there except for waiting to hear from admissions for school next year.

Its not really the bogies that are upsetting, as i know theyll happen and that i can make birdies to balance them, its that somehow b4 i had "ryan syndrome" as my friend called it (well, there was that one, and the fact that i left every putt short, also known as "alice syndrome":p), is that i seemed to be great at making a bogey or double after a birdie, ive kinda gotten over that, but a few holes later ill bogey, then ill be like, ok, now just stay in it and keep it going, it happens. But then ill stripe one right down the fw, and ill hit some absolutely stupid mishit from the fw (ex, i had 70 yards in on a short par 4, left my self in THE best spot on the hole, and i took a 3 inch deep divot and made it barely 30...).

Im definately re-reading that book, absolutely great book. No hw this weekend, so hopefully i can get most of it done before sunday and my next round. As for the mention of lesson, ive seen my coach 4 times in the past 3 weeks and will be seeing him again tomorrow, the part that gets me is that my actual swing right now is probly the best its ever been (except when i miss, its the club hitting the ground 2-4 inches behind the ball:()

Thx for the help guys, just a slump, i know it happens, ill be all cheery again after i get back into the swing of things and my stupid prom is over with:p

I really dont wana go to that thing....

Quit.

More of a last option, but it is one. I did it my senior year. I was the lead golfer for my team, expected to play senior year while balancing all my classes, and everytime I got out there I just didn't have fun anymore.

So I stopped playing. And oddly, I enjoy the game, and am more dedicated, than I ever have been. Not because I regret quitting and feel like I missed something, but because the break refreshed me and some more maturity brought things into perspective.

Been there done that. The last few months of last season I diden't even want to see a golf club. Thats hard when..you work at a golf course. I soon came to a realization:

I enjoy golf ALOT more when I play by myself. I dont know why but I just have more fun, im more calm, hit better shots, and It's the only time I go 3 hours without saying anyting:laugh:. Sleeping excluded.

I dont even like to play with friends much anymore.:(

evenings after I close the shop and i graba cart and go play 2 ball I have a ball. Playing sunday morning..not so much.

Oh well..

There are still a few people i like to play with but..whatever.

Haha, ive got some confidence back! Muahaha, no clue why, but after reffing tonight it just sparked me to go to the range and figure this out, felt mentally better, still hitting it a little fat though... But thats in another thread.:)

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520