• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why is shaping shots important?

Being able to shape shots at will is a valuable skill to have in our arsenal, but trying to shape shots without the skills is just asking for trouble. Most guys I see trying to hit a hook or slice to get out of trouble, or to get at a tight pin, just get themselves into deeper trouble because they don't have the ability to make those swing changes at will. Most average amateurs don't have those skills, and will never practice enough to hone them. I have never been able to dependably turn the ball, especially with a draw. My stock shot is straight to a slight fade, and I try not to mess with it.

You can be a very competent golfer without shot shaping and I've never had the patience to bother with it. I've shot as low as 73, and have played to lower than a 15 handicap for most of the last 20 years without being able to hit a draw. IMO, knowing your limitations and accommodating them (and having an ironclad short game) is more important than being able to hit crooked shots... :laugh:

Lol,anyway,the modern ball is the real culprit.These things are laser straight,hitting straight is easy,truly shaping the ball with precision is sadly an art that went to the great balata graveyard in the sky

Unfortunately very true. Shaping these balls with what would have been a 15-20 yard cut then with balata, would be like a gentle 5 yard fade now with these things. They are rediculously straight.

Although still workable, but i think technology has taken a bit of the fun out of golf, its got to stop here. But we all know it wont stop until more limits are set down in stone...

Fools, hit it straight! Unless you want to hit it another way...:)

Ever play on any courses with dog-legs? That's why.

I'm playing longer cousres this year and one has alot of trees and unless I hit it to the far side of the fairway it helps to fade or draw the shots around trees.

Featured Reviews

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54