• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

WHY STRETCH COURSES OUT FOR MAJORS???

This is a superb Open,its been a fantastic display of golf,they have the course set up perfectly to reward both distance and accuracy.Richard Green is not long,he shot 64.

Its the most exciting Open,if not major,for years

And now an eagle for Harrington! this is brilliant,there won't be one call for shorter courses,not after this magnificent Open finishes

This is a superb Open,its been a fantastic display of golf,they have the course set up perfectly to reward both distance and accuracy.Richard Green is not long,he shot 64.

Its the most exciting Open,if not major,for years

Agree 100%. This has been an amazing back 9 to be watching!

And now an eagle for Harrington! this is brilliant,there won't be one call for shorter courses,not after this magnificent Open finishes

Get in there Sergio!!! Closer look at it and watching this great golf I agree Dave, they've got Carnoustie setup spot on but it's about time too.

I'm pulling for Sergio because I stand to win just short of £200 but Harington is playing Awesome at the mo. Hope they don't both blow up as it's about time a European won a major again.

They need to redesign the par 4 holes so that fairway bunkers are in the big hitters landing zones and funnel the fairways so the futher up you go the narrower they become.
Why should long hitters have to hit it straighter than short hitters ???

It's to get the holes to play how they were originally designed before the field got 30-50 yards longer off the tee. Rather than move the tee back all the time I'd like them to move the hazards to the 'new' landing zones. The biggest players with the right wind will still have the chance for risk and reward.

It's the best I can remember. I feel for Romero - another chapter of this great championship written under the "Threw it away" topic.

How do they play this well under so much pressure? Total respect.

The course is wonderful - no tricks this time - it has just spoken for itself.

My lasting memory of this Open will be the quality fo the long irons into the greens.Cink has just hit 2 awesome 230/240 yarders,just magnificent,as it has been all week.Not many hybrids from the big boys.

Garcia has a 3 wood,why not use it? Doesn't sya much for TM;)

The play off is gonna be the long iron against the hybrid!!!

I don't understand why Garcia took iron of the 18th tee

Maybe because he's been hitting it lights out off the tee all day long?

You have to admit dave. he's clutch with that 2 iron off the tee.

Maybe because he's been hitting it lights out off the tee all day long?

You have to admit dave. he's clutch with that 2 iron off the tee.

He is,but how far back did he leave himself? still seems strange to me,what are 3 woods for?

*sigh* My poor Sergio.

Oh well, on the note of distance, think about this as well.

Longer hitters have to hit it straighter. Why? Think of the cone effect. The farther you hit it, at the same degree as a shorter shot, the further it strays out. Same reason a missed PW doesn't seem as bad as a missed 4 iron.

Anyway, I think they need to work some stuff in to make it harder on longer hitters, but not much. Par 3s, sure, do a lot. But people should be rewarded for hitting long, as people are rewarded for being good putters.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520