• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wierd putting tip.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Reaction score
I tried an odd approach to short putts last night when I was out playing alone.

The tip I had read suggested looking at the hole instead of the ball on short putts. I tried it first on a flat two footer and it went right in. Tried it again on a three footer, same result. Finally, I did it with a four foot downhill breaker and drilled it.

Not sure I'd have the confidence to use this in a real match but I'm gonna practice it some more to see if it keeps working.

Dave:

I have been using a modified version of this for several years on putts of about 7 feet or less...it works.

As you look down at the ball there are three things you have in your field of vision:

1) The putterhead
2) The ball
3) The hole (will be in the left side of your left eye).

Try to develop a "visual awareness" of all three of these objects in your field of vision.

Then, address your putt. Get your line the way you want it.

Then, concentrate on two of the three objects: the putterhead and the hole.

As you take your swing, the goal is to move the putterhead straight toward the hole. The ball is in the way and although you are aware the ball is there - your main focus is moving the putterhead toward the hole.

When I do this effectively _I putt better....

If my feel is off, I do this with long putts, and it works well to help me regroove. I have never used this with short putts. Maybe it keeps your eyes focused, so your head and body remain steady through the stroke? Dunno, D. Long as it's workin'.

Bravo:

What you're doing is almost the same. I think the only difference is that in this case the ball and putter head are in the right side of your right eye. It feels strange that's for sure. I felt surpised every time the ball went in.

Farq:

Actually, I was planning on playing with this on longer putts. In theory at least it shouldn't matter since regardless of the length of the putt, the ball and putter head would still be in my field of vision.

Then if that works out you I can try it with short chips. Could be a best seller in the works here. :p

Then if it works with short chips, why not short irons, and then mid irons and possibly even the driver!!! Ok I'm getting out of control.

I am definatley gonna give this a go tonight because I lose a TON of strokes on short puts and I'm willing to try anything.

ALL HAIL DaveE!!!!

This is "THE BEST" golf tip that I have ever recieved!!!!!!! I didn't miss a put within 6 feet and shot a year best 68 (-4).

Any other magical tips you have would be well recieved.

Yup, it's a good tip for short putt. But that's only true if your putting technique is good and automatic, and you have a good feeling that the putter is square at impact. You only worry about the ball going to the hole, not how you putt.

Dave is the new king :)

Great tip.

One I use for short putts is to never decellerate. This takes practice, but one rule of thumb to keep in your head is to never allow the head of the putter to come back towards impact during your follow thru. I call this "not having nuts".

Basically, if you decelerate, you pull or push putts. This is linked to low confidence in the swing. If you walk up to a ball on the practice green, you hit it with authority with the speed you think is correct to match the break you've given the ball. And you hit the ball with authority. Most weak short putts are from decelerating, and Dave's tip does just that - eliminates any mistrust in your stroke. If you stare at that hole, it's going to go there because you're focusing more on where the ball should go rather than "how it should get there."

Good tip.

R35

Good tip. I used to have the worst case of yips in the 80's. I was a 6 handicap and never made a putt. I used to pray to stick it 5 inches or leave it 15 feet. If I hit it 4 feet, that was a possible bogey. One day I watched Chi-Chi Rodriguez putting on the Senior tour and here's what I realized. He had no style or form or grip or stroke. What he had was CONFIDENCE and he just knew it was going in. That is the real key, in my opinion, to putting. My game improved and I still to this day make my short putts. CONFIDENCE!

sounds kinda awkward for me to do, but my short putting is kinda spotty, i think i'll have to give it a go

Sounds like a really good tip. It makes sense to. Im gonna have to try this when I go out today.

i tired it and oh dear....

it worked. sank everything within 5 feet.

my playing partner kept taking the piss out of me until i shot 80 :D

DaveE said:
Bravo:

What you're doing is almost the same. I think the only difference is that in this case the ball and putter head are in the right side of your right eye. It feels strange that's for sure. I felt surpised every time the ball went in.

Yes this is right.

In your field of vision - you see the hole with the left eye and your right eye is seeing the ball and the putterhead. If the hole is more than a couple of feet away, there is no way the right eye can see it.

The main thing is to spend some practice time looking down and developing a sense of "field of vision" overall. Obviously there is some overlap area and our brains take this into account in forming a steady, cohesive image.

Stroke the putterhead to the hole.

Loop said:
Yup, it's a good tip for short putt. But that's only true if your putting technique is good and automatic, and you have a good feeling that the putter is square at impact. You only worry about the ball going to the hole, not how you putt.

Dave is the new king :)

I like this. Maybe I'll get a crown and wear to the course. :D

Good to hear it's helping everyone. Rockfords right about the deceleraton. I finally missed one yesterday and it carried a couple of feet pasy the hole but the ones that go in are firm to back of the cup.

youngun5, if you're playing LCC good luck! LOL! Slickest greens anywhere and the ball won't stop if downhill on several holes there!

P_102

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422