• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wierd putting tip.

DaveE said:
I tried an odd approach to short putts last night when I was out playing alone.

The tip I had read suggested looking at the hole instead of the ball on short putts. I tried it first on a flat two footer and it went right in. Tried it again on a three footer, same result. Finally, I did it with a four foot downhill breaker and drilled it.

Not sure I'd have the confidence to use this in a real match but I'm gonna practice it some more to see if it keeps working.

Dave

Tried it last night. Surreal putting from within 5ft. I then experimented on some long rangers. Found that by looking at a spot about 3-5ft ahead of the line worked better than looking at the hole (30ft). I holed a lot of putts. So it gets me thinking. Last week-end I had 36 putts. I tried everything but couldn't get the ball in the hole.

So I'm teeing it up tomorrow in the competition and trying it. I don't think I can do worse than 36 putts, so why the hell not?

Anyone try this in a tournament? Any pros do this?

IrishGolfer said:
Dave

Tried it last night. Surreal putting from within 5ft. I then experimented on some long rangers. Found that by looking at a spot about 3-5ft ahead of the line worked better than looking at the hole (30ft). I holed a lot of putts. So it gets me thinking. Last week-end I had 36 putts. I tried everything but couldn't get the ball in the hole.

So I'm teeing it up tomorrow in the competition and trying it. I don't think I can do worse than 36 putts, so why the hell not?

Anyone try this in a tournament? Any pros do this?

The thing is, I can't remember where I read this but I think it was a tip from a pro.

I've putted the short ones like this the last three times I've been out and on Wed. I noticed that I was doing it without thinking about it. It was kinda wierd because I hadn't really intended to make it a permanent change yet.

Good luck in your comptetion and be sure to report on how you did putting.

Hey IG, Let make a deal.

Since your a published author and you like my putting tip, aaannnnnnd since I can't remember who should get credit for it anyway, why don't we do a book.

Here's a rough draft for the cover. Now all we need is for you to figure out how to turn two paragraphs of information into 100 pages of useless dribble and illustrations so we can charge $24.95 a copy. Let me know when your finished. :p

As usual - it's Brilliant!!

You are a combination of Steven Spielberg and Elton John...a seemingly endless flow of creative genius...
:biglol:

Dave

The book is on hold. 38 putts on Saturday for a 82! This is getting me a bit down. 30 putts would have had me a 74!

Ima getting me a nu putta! Desparate times indeed!!! Just eBay'd me a white hot 2 ball for $113.

IrishGolfer said:
Dave

The book is on hold. 38 putts on Saturday for a 82! This is getting me a bit down. 30 putts would have had me a 74!

Ima getting me a nu putta! Desparate times indeed!!! Just eBay'd me a white hot 2 ball for $113.

Happy days eh Irish .....seven 3 putts on Sat meself for an 82 - 1st,2nd,3rd & 6th to start off - I tried to get them out of the way early in the round ;)

I tried that not lookin at the hole tip on Friday over 13 holes and it did nuffin for me - I for one wont be buying your and DaveE's book. They say a fool and his money are easily parted .....$113 hummmm ;)

IrishGolfer said:
Dave

*heavy sigh* Maybe we can all collaborate on the virtues of hoing. :p

DaveE said:
*heavy sigh* Maybe we can all collaborate on the virtues of hoing. :p

...now you're talking... :biglol:

Well, I decided to try this and found that it wasn't working very well by just taking my ordinary stance and doing it, so I modified it to having an open stance (like for chipping) and it worked wonders. While on our golf weekend, we started off at this crazy natural grass mini-putt course on Friday night and I did it the whole time there...wow, I was lagging amazingly well (the putts are all 80 - 150 feet and some crazy weird undulations etc).

I decided to give it a go for my round on Saturday and found it worked really well...ended up going 16-14 for putts which for me is awesome. I tried to carry it over to Sunday's round...not a chance. 6 3-putts later, I turfed it and went back to normal to finish out 2-2-1 for 39 putts. Granted, the greens were tough at the Sunday course, but not that tough.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520