• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wilson on the up?

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always been a fan of Wilson, but I feel they lost their way for a decade or so. Now that they have a Major staff player in the form of Harrington, I see them making a run at the market again, especially with their new Staff range:

Fi Forged irons- these look sweet

Spine Driver - looks very interesting, albeit a bit f'ugly, but is it really the industry's first truly perimeter weighted driver? Looks like a cool V2 shaft anyway and I imagine it to look like a Hi-bore at address.

Tour wedges - very sexy

Zip Ball and Fifty Ball - both worth a try as both seem like newish technology.

Not saying I'll rush out to buy all this stuff, but I'm getting interested again. If Harrington is using this stuff and winning, I see more people sitting up and taking notice. I wouldn't mind a whack with them, especially that driver and those irons. And I'm going to try and pick up some of those ZIP balls.

So if anyone from Wilson is reading this, please PM me and I'll give you my details to send stuff! :)

I played the Wilson 50 ball this weekend. Not Bad. I surprised me. I wasn't expecting much. It preformed pretty well on and around the greens. I wasn't hitting the driver very well so It was hard to tell on the distance of the ball.

They're a pioneer in this sport and indeed others and always produce pretty good equipment.

I still have loads of their Tx4 ball from a couple of years ago upstairs. The Rep. gave me 2 dozen of them but I didn't think they performed as well in the wind...

Wilson is one of the good old companies who seems to have lost their way. Errors in marketing during the past decade have resulted in them becoming barely a second tier OEM. Harrington has endorsed Wilson for some time. He has a significant fan base and that has not seemed to bring much recognition to Wilson. I do not see how his recent British Open win will do much either.

This industry is in a tought market. Rounds are down world wide. None of the major OEM's are 'setting the world on fire' with their corporate profits. The big five (TM, Callaway, Titliest, Ping, and Mizuno) continue to be the market leaders. Take a poll of those playing this game and Wilson's reputation as a manufacturer will come in somewhere below those five.

Along with the disappointment of Wilson's demise has to be the demise of both MacGregor and Hogan. Hogan is somewhat explainable due to the buy out by Callaway. Callaway pretty well folded Hogan's tent for them. MacGregor continues to make a pretty good product but just floats along in the lower tier of manufacturers.

In answer to your question... No, I don't think Harrington's win will put Wilson over the hump on the comeback trail.

Two Words: Fat Shafts.

R35

I like the irons and the wedges, maybe I'll give the wedges a go, for kicks.

Rock, you aren't fooling anybody.

Irons are Good not the best.. but good. and i really like the wedges. Driver looks like a Cow Foot or a branding iron

I like the irons but would like to know the bounce angles on them. Judging by the 52-06 wedge I'd guess quite low, I like bounce in the irons and a blunt leading edge.

In answer to your question... No, I don't think Harrington's win will put Wilson over the hump on the comeback trail.

Wilson Golf is interesting in that it has several sub-brands, Prostaff, Ultra, Harmonised as well as Staff. The latter interests me, but I would agree with your analysis, the overall brand has suffered, it's hard to market Prostaff and Staff alongside eachother.

It's a pity becasue their recent stuff looks great!

I have read about a new set of iron Wilson is putting out in the staff line. The Wilson Staff FG 59's. Forged blades. Updated version of the FG 17 muscle backs from what I haver read. Does anyone have a pic of these irons?

They were originally going to be called FG 58's for the 58 major championships Wilson irons have won, but they had to change to tooling and name when Padraig won the Open. Intersting enough, Padraig plays the cast irons rather than the forged offerings.

Two Words: Fat Shafts.

R35
Do you like them, hate them, or wish you had one? ;)

I really, really, really like the Fi5's...really...:idhitit: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The Tw7 wedges look much better in person. In the pics it has an ugly looking finish. It's much better in your hands, and a steal at the price point.

Ualtim these are the Proto blades they are working on:

I don't know anything about the Zip ball or the Tx4 Tour as we are not getting anymore stock this year.

There is a much better version of the Fi5's as well. I will try to dig those pics up again.

What a pain in the arse that was. I have had the new version of the Fi5's in my hands. Our rep was bagging them and they are VERY VERY nice. The short irons are a full out blade, no muscle back or cavity. Beautiful clubs.
post-1-1185071904-5_thumb.jpg
goodoneeeeeeeeeee.jpg
post-11-1169882394.jpg

Those proto blades are sexy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters