• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

With deep regret, the long irons are benched!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, sometimes you have to accept the fact the body ages. I had to update my signature and include two more hybrids. Love long irons. There's no feeling in golf sweeter than when you smooth a 3-iron, don't even feel the ball leave the clubface, and see that ascending trajectory. The key to that sentence is... "when"!!! That "when" became memories of days past.

Have thoroughly enjoyed the Ping G10 hybrid. Would have really preferred to match it with a couple more. However, I bought the Adams hybrids for $40 each.... new. The Pings would have cost me another $100 each!! Just couldn't justify the difference.

It's been three weeks and 6 rounds since introducing the additional 2 hybrids to the bag. Yesterday, they started coming into their own. I began to get the feel them. 44/41, yesterday. The 85 wasn't too bad and it could have been better if I could have putted. We started really early before the greens had been mowed. They were exceptionally wet and slow. Then, by 4 we broke through the mowers and began to see much faster greens. As the morning sun began to dry them out, the change in the greens from #1 to mid to late back 9 was tremendous.

This morning was one of those days. 40 on the front. Was leading the son-in-law by 5 at the turn and he wasn't happy!!! The back nine was interesting. Needed to finish in time to get home, change clothes, and get to church. Wife would have been even more upset with me had I been late off the course. 1 of the 4, this morning, is a gentleman who likes to walk off every shot from a sprinkler head. His pre-shot routine drives the rest of us nuts. The grass grows up around his ball just while he's getting his butt adjusted to the exactly correct position!!!

So... I'm pushing the clock. Trying to get Mr. Perfection... whose exacting form carried him to a stunning 49 on the front... to get the lead out. Son-in-law is catching fire and I feel he will close the 5-stroke gap quickly. Perfect set-up to crash and burn and turn the front 40 into a nice 90 or 95 finish. But.....

It just seemed to "click" this morning. Chip in from off the green for bird on 11. The holes just seemed to be 6" diameter and sitting at the bottom of soup bowls. Everything wanted to go in!! Birdied 18, after sticking a SW to 18". Back nine... 38. 40/38... best round of the year!!! (Son-in-law did card a 37 on the back, but I still got him by 4 on the round!!!)

The idea that I'm so old the long irons have to be replaced by "sissy" hybrids hurts!! The suffering of sore knees through a preacher's long sermon was greatly diminished with the glimmer of the 78 dulling the pain!!!

So far this year the bane of my game is the sand. Last year, I actually looked forward to the sand shot. This year it sucks. Now if they come out with hybrid sand wedges I'm buying one!! :D

Great 78 there old man!! :)

i've been using Adams A3 OS #3 & #5 hybrids for quite a while now. they hit themselves. i've tried Nickent 4dx, Ben Hogan, and TM Rescues. none of them come close to the Boxers.

I hear ya man. I got half a bag full of hybrids now. I even went so far as to pull the 5 iron for a hybrid recently. I come up against 5 iron length shots a lot and the 5i was just becoming too inconsistent.

First time out with the 5h I hit a towering approach from 165 yds against the wind to about 10 ft. It's staying in the bag... :laugh:

So far the hybrids have helped a lot because my misses are a lot closer to good shots than the misses with long irons were. I hit the hybrids as far but more solidly and higher. It seems as I've gotten older I have a lot more approaches with mid and long irons and the hybrids have definitely helped.

Good round. I've ditched the 3iron myself. Now that I've learned how to hit a hybrid straight, I finally woke up. There is no doubt they are easier to strike than a long iron but can also hit shots a long iron cannot, no matter who is holding the club. I may even opt for another one when I get another set of irons eventually.

i should also add that i don't use a 5h to replace my 5i. my 5h is a 190-200 yard club, which replaces my 3i.

the 3h is almost like a 5 wood, good for about 220-230.

and yeah, wtg on the 78. that'll really help the 'cap.

Limp, you old man you! Just swing harder, always works with long irons.

Limp, you old man you! Just swing harder, always works with long irons.

Jeff... I don't think there's and "harder" left in this old body, without the assistance of prescription drugs advertised often during golf telecasts!!!:wow::wow:

Jeff... I don't think there's and "harder" left in this old body, without the assistance of prescription drugs advertised often during golf telecasts!!!:wow::wow:

I once heard an old man saying,

When my mum died, I cried.
When my wife died, I cried.
When I woke up without the sergeant to greet me, I didn't want to live.

what is it with the bath tubs on the beach?

I think the dude in the tub just likes saying "Up Periscope!" to his wife... :laugh:

Seems these days long irons are the only ones i dont hit fat...i just hit them thin instead...but at least they go a good ways when i do that.

However, i think i have it figured out...for the time being...

I ask my wife that same thing everytime those commercials come on. How do they fill them & keep them warm? And what's so romantic about separate tubs?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520