• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Your Cell Debate...

R35 would just let me die out there ;)
Yep! I'd need one of those bracelet thingys I could push to call for help. The group I normally play with would just roll my fat behind into a bunker and leave me behind... Just as I would with any one of them!!!:laugh: :laugh:

I have zero issues with people checking their messages between holes - none.

I do, however, loathe those that use their cell phones when golfing - for any reason.

R35

It's an issue of necessity vs. abuse. I look at it as the same as cell phones in cars. If you're driving like an Ahole because you are on the phone, not paying attention, that's one thing. Using it for an emergency, checking it while at a light or on the highway, that's another. If a player is holding other's up or interrupting them from playing, that's just bad manners, be a man and tell them so if it really is bothering you.

Like I'd said before, my boss got quite few calls while in the cart the other day. He simply asked if he could call back in little while, took thier name and called them at the turn while waiting for his cheesburger. Nobody was held up and it didn't bother me at all.

It's an issue of necessity vs. abuse. I look at it as the same as cell phones in cars. If you're driving like an Ahole because you are on the phone, not paying attention, that's one thing. Using it for an emergency, checking it while at a light or on the highway, that's another. If a player is holding other's up or interrupting them from playing, that's just bad manners, be a man and tell them so if it really is bothering you.

Like I'd said before, my boss got quite few calls while in the cart the other day. He simply asked if he could call back in little while, took thier name and called them at the turn while waiting for his cheesburger. Nobody was held up and it didn't bother me at all.

I think that pretty much sums it up, Ez. There IS a place for cell phones on a golf course. Just not strapped to somebody's ear getting stock quotes while I'm putting.

I held off posting on the topic before as I've always kinda disliked cell phones, but of course have one too. I think it's really rude to take/make calls and especially to have ringers go off during a round. I take mine on the course but always turn off the ringer before I stick it in the bag. I sometimes check to see if I have any voice messages at the turn but usually not. I understand that others can't totally get away from their other responsibilities and have to check or even take calls.

Up until a couple years ago I never took it on the course but I had an experience similar to ezra's except on a local bike trail.

It's mostly easy riding and wanders around for about 20 miles through the countryside and several city and county parks. But there are a couple sections with really and I mean really steep hills. Two years ago I came down one of the hills and a woman was standing in the trail waving. She was riding with her husband and he had a heart attack and lost it on the hill. He went flying off the trail and was busted up pretty bad when I got to him. I made sure the guy was as comfortable as I could -- he was still coherent but it was obvious he had some broken bones and difficulty breathing. I also did my best to calm the woman down.

I called 911 and they dispatched the EMT's directly. I knew where I was at on the trail and told them. They were there in about 10 minutes and the 911 operator stayed on the phone with me the whole time and relayed info to the ambulance crew.

After they had the guy loaded up and carted off, the park ranger said having a cell phone probably saved his life. I'm just glad I had it with me. Anytime I go riding, I take it now. You never know.

Wow that is a really scary story. I saw a friend of mine have a siezure once, man i think ez can confirm that they are nasty to watch. My course has walkie talkie things that you can use to call the pro shop on two of the holes in case of an emergency and you dont have a cell phone. It really is important for somebody to have a cell in your group (or two so if the person who goes down has one somebody else has one)

Of course, but odds are those things won't happen, so forget about it.

I carry mine in case something happens to me... I'm an old feeble dude. :laugh:

I really don't worry about it, but I'd sure be pissed if something does happen and I say to myself "shoulda brought the cell phone, huh?"

so rock, you're against it, even if the guy keep his phone OFF in his bag, and doesn't even touch it unless its an emergency ?

I'll jump into this debate, because I'm right in the middle.

I keep my cell phone with me at all times. Its always on vibrate unless it's plugged in at home. So if i get a call when i'm playing golf, only I know.

Now, when i'm playing golf with other people, i don't take calls, unless its with friends my own age (the cellular generation), and it's from my mom or something where it could possibly be an emergency. If my mom calls when I'm with others, I wait for a voicemail and check it unobtrusively.

But, when I'm playing by myself at my local muni, I'll talk on my phone, text, etc, because it gives me something to occupy my time walking to my ball and it's not distracting anybody. Seriously, I'm usually the only person out there when i play.

I'd be interested about your opinion on this situation R35:

I'm out playing 9 at the local dog track, all by myself, nobody else even out on the course. Cell phone ok?

A little update on my friend Nappy. I called the hospital and they were able to release him with family earlier this evening. Best case scenario I suppose. Must be that he's had them before and prone to them. Kind of scary to think he's a Master Electrician, I found this as I looked in his wallet for his ID and any sort of medical info. Imagine if he had one of these up on a ladder?

Anyway, I have his adress and phone number so I'll give him a call tomorrow afternoon. It was a wake up call for me. I played last round there with a guy even older, pushing 80 and he said he'd had artery problems and his doctor told him to golf for exercise. I definitely need to take a course in CPR and how to recognize what's going on in certain emergencies.

I want to die either having sex or playing golf. Couldn't imagine a better way to go. :laugh:

I want to die either having sex or playing golf. Couldn't imagine a better way to go. :laugh:

the latter would be okay, but the first option could be quite ... awkward ... haha

the latter would be okay, but the first option could be quite ... awkward ... haha

Not for long...

Either way, with my last dying breath I know I would say, "I can do better!"

I'd rather it be having sex.

If it's a good day golfing you want to finish the round. If it's a bad day you are angry.

Way to go John, way to go. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424