• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Your Cell Debate...

ezra76

Reaction score
I guess I'll put this here since the other ones are here too. Not sure if anyone thought of this scenario... I recommend for your safety and that of your playing partners, someone in the group have a cell phone.

I played 18 and then joined with "Nappy" as I saw him heading to #1. He had another guy with him and the guy I played with joined as well for a few more. We are all by the green and Nappy hits a pitch over a bunker. As he walks through the rough he drops to his kness and collapses. At first I thought he tripped, then he grabbed at his chest... I bolted for him.

I realized from the clenched teeth, foaming around the mouth and shaking he was having a seizure. The other guy, Ray, and I made sure he hadn't swallowed his tongue and got him on his side. Ray made sure he wasn't choking while I got a solid pulse on his wrist and kept it. I was pretty scared, trying to remember CPR from high school, hoping that his pulse didn't stop.

Joe, the guy I'd just played 18 with, had a phone. I'd seen him take a call on it during the back 9. I told him to get it and he dialed 911 and then the pro shop. Someone would have had to run back over 1500yds. to the shop or find another player with a phone had he not had his.

The ambulance had to find a way in and took about 15-20minutes to get out there. They sent 2 guys out in a cart ahead though. Hopefully Nap will be alright, he was not coherent when the took him but moving a little and breathing. He vomited as they put him into the rescue.

I, personally, need to take some training in basic medical emergency care. I guess between Ray and myself we did alright but god forbid it had been a heart attack. I also will never, ever go out on the course without my phone again.

I take my phone but it's turned off. I have said I leave it in the car but that's only when I forget. I still won't take calls while golfing. But you're right. They can be a Godsend. :)

Wow, good post Ez.

Okay okay okay, here's my truthful announcement for the real motivation for allowing me to have, and use, my cell phone out there.

I've got pictures of three different women (two exes, one current) on mine. When the game isn't so hot, I distract myself. :D

Yeah, I don't really get the issue if your phone is silenced or off. Someone checking to see if they have calls shouldn't disturb anyone. But TAKING a call is a totally different story...

I wouldn't ban them from any course, honestly.

R35 would just let me die out there ;)

Wow.

I take my phone with me everytime I'm at the course. But it's on Silent in my bag. This way I can check every so often if anyone needed me, I can have it for emergencies, and when I'm held up behind a Womens League for 20 minutes a hole, I can play some poker. :)

Yeah, but Vt, I think that's not due to the cell phones. :D

R35 would just let me die out there ;)

You? Forsure.;)

Remember back to 1989? Remember when cell phones weren't readily available to the general public? Remember when people played golf without interruption?

Of course this is an extreme circumstance. But let's say that heaven forbid, the ambulance gets lost, and the guy sadly dies anyways. Or, no one has a cell. How is that any different?

I'm not going to argue that having the cell helped this guy, but if no one had a cell (which is entirely plausible), you'd be high tailing it to the clubhouse - just like they did for 100 years of golf before the invention of a cell phone.

I'm not going to buy the fact that my house MIGHT get hit by a meteor, so I'm not buying meteor insurance. Just as I don't think cell phones should be allowed on the course - "just in case". That argument is bunk.

R35

Wow.

I take my phone with me everytime I'm at the course. But it's on Silent in my bag. This way I can check every so often if anyone needed me, I can have it for emergencies, and when I'm held up behind a Womens League for 20 minutes a hole, I can play some poker. :)

I have zero issues with people checking their messages between holes - none.

I do, however, loathe those that use their cell phones when golfing - for any reason.

R35

You? Forsure.;)

Remember back to 1989? Remember when cell phones weren't readily available to the general public? Remember when people played golf without interruption?

Of course this is an extreme circumstance. But let's say that heaven forbid, the ambulance gets lost, and the guy sadly dies anyways. Or, no one has a cell. How is that any different?

I'm not going to argue that having the cell helped this guy, but if no one had a cell (which is entirely plausible), you'd be high tailing it to the clubhouse - just like they did for 100 years of golf before the invention of a cell phone.

I'm not going to buy the fact that my house MIGHT get hit by a meteor, so I'm not buying meteor insurance. Just as I don't think cell phones should be allowed on the course - "just in case". That argument is bunk.

R35

How is it bunk? To you, perhaps, to others, not really.

Can we stop beating this dead horse? I looked at this as a story.

Rockford is a terd(hey, it rhymes), I'm brilliant, and a cell phone saved a life.

Bottom line, can we move on?

I'm still feeling a little shaken. They took him to the hospital that is right around the corner from my house. I think I need to go and see if they will just tell me if he's alright at least. I hope it is just a "routine" seizure and he'll be back on his feet in no time, telling me to "just hit it smooth, like your pitch shots" and letting me hit his 1iron into the wind on that 200yd. par 3. I play with a lot of older guys over there, a good dozen know me by name and my hat and/or swing for recognition of course.:laugh:

I never really thought about what to do should one of them have a medical emergency out there. I think this is something a lot of people should give some thought to and adress what they would do and what they need to know. I know one thing, it's a scary, scary feeling to be holding someone's wrist, hoping that pulse keeps up, as blood starts coming from their mouth.

How is it bunk? To you, perhaps, to others, not really.

Can we stop beating this dead horse? I looked at this as a story.

Rockford is a terd(hey, it rhymes), I'm brilliant, and a cell phone saved a life.

Bottom line, can we move on?

We can, but it's not a dead horse. The fact that 3 sucessive threads have been posted with others opinions lead me to believe otherwise.

If you choose not to contribute, then don't. Case closed.

R35

I never really thought about what to do should one of them have a medical emergency out there. I think this is something a lot of people should give some thought to and adress what they would do and what they need to know. I know one thing, it's a scary, scary feeling to be holding someone's wrist, hoping that pulse keeps up, as blood starts coming from their mouth.

Ez, I'm with you. I feel strongly that I have enough common sense to help someone in need, but I have no real training in that field. Our summer students require CPR and lifesaving class and I'm seriously considering tagginh along for my own peice of mind. Your recant has pushed me even further.

I'd rather have CPR and lifesaving with me as a cell phone. (Just for the record.:laugh: )

R35

We can, but it's not a dead horse. The fact that 3 sucessive threads have been posted with others opinions lead me to believe otherwise.

If you choose not to contribute, then don't. Case closed.

R35

How so?

You and some others oppose having a cell phone out there.
Myself and some other don't mind.

Nothing seems to change our opinions, so whats the point of continuing?

Argument is about the furthering of knowledge without the bounds of presumptions and ideological confines. It is not about bringing up points why you are right and the other is wrong, though we often folly in pursuing the latter.

...just like they did for 100 years of golf before the invention of a cell phone.

To me, I don't see that as a valid argument. I mean, they aren't going to use the same medical procedures as they did 100 years before.

The bottom line is, if you had a chance to save a someones life, would you?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520