• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Adam Scott- How far is he hitting it!!

The one great thing about working in the golf industry is that you get to hear about some freaky amateur distance measurements, one young junior said he was hitting it 320 consistently! i think if people were to have their measurements done on either a launch monitor/analysis system they would find that they are a lot shorter than they think.

If there is one thing i have learnt it is to play well within yourself, and use the 80% rule of Greg Norman which means if you need it there is always 20% extra in the tank.

The average 5 iron on the PGA tour was 185yrds last year,FACT
That means a good 10-15% of Tour players can't hit their 5-iron 180 yards. Can you name 5 guys who hit their 5-iron only 175 yards? 20 guys?

Hmmm, not sure what to say. I mean we've all seen Tiger and the lot belt out some pretty powerful shots that would put us to shame, but a 239 3-Iron isn't beyond comprehension. On level ground and a solid hit off a tee I can do that easily with my 3.

Golf technology has scary impact, and that's no myth 040906

MYTH 7:The average distance for 5-irons on tour is more than 200 yards.
Findings: The PGA Tour Shotlink system, which records virtually all shots throughout the season, shows the average 5-iron shot from fairway to green is approximately 185 yards. From the tee on par 3s, the pros hit a 5-iron 197 yards on average.

Had to check, 185 seemed kinda low.

This was 239 on the fly though !! That takes some doing

It is certainly possible in the right conditions. If you read the other thread about par 3s, my 6 iron can go to the back of a 200 yard par three, but it sits about 10 feet below, which makes so much difference.

Why would you want to hit your irons so far? Then you have to buy a dozen wedges for the close shots. :D

Adam Scott's performance yesterday shows that there is more to golf than hitting the ball a long way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520