• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf Set?

BTGpapa

Reaction score
Hey guys, last year when I got into golf my dad passed down his old clubs to me. Unfortunately, the clubs were made in the 70's-80's. So my question is do they sell decent club sets that aren't too expensive? My parents agreed to get me a new set once I make my high school's golf team which shouldn't be too hard.
P.S. I didn't mean like an iron set, I meant the whole sha-bang (except for a bag)

A good set for cheap could be a problem. Your best bet will probably be piecing together a used set off of eBay or better yet, our sponsor Global Golf.

Oh, I think there budget is $600. Is that still cheap? Cause I saw that some iron sets were like $600

I put the set in my sig together for somewhere around 600 in total. Buy quality used stuff; I got most of my stuff from the classifieds section of this forum and various others. If you make the golf team take a look at our sponsor Global Golf (link at the top of the page), look at the classifieds section, and don't forget ebay.

You could go another route and get component clubs, get fitted for the correct shafts and lie angles, etc. There are great quality clubs for very little money to be found in the component market. I'm not the guy to ask about components, but I'm sure somebody will chime in.

Good luck! :)

component? whats that?

get fitted. get the right lie loft and all that stuff. I'm playing on clubs that are not fitted and I've been spraying the ball in every direction.

get fitted. get the right lie loft and all that stuff. I'm playing on clubs that are not fitted and I've been spraying the ball in every direction.

Getting fitted won't fix that.

You've got to get a swing grooved before you get fitted, in general, or you'll have no reason to be fitted.

Anyway, for 600? Let me see what I can work up here...for a general idea...

how far do you hit your current driver? because that yardage, along with how violently you swing (how much flex is there at the top of your swing/how much pause: a stop, a smooth transition, or visable flex) will help us get you set up with the right flex of club which can greatly inprove your distance and accurarcy.

Hey guys, last year when I got into golf my dad passed down his old clubs to me. Unfortunately, the clubs were made in the 70's-80's. So my question is do they sell decent club sets that aren't too expensive? My parents agreed to get me a new set once I make my high school's golf team which shouldn't be too hard.
P.S. I didn't mean like an iron set, I meant the whole sha-bang (except for a bag)

For 175 dollars, i got a Nicklaus MV-20 golf set from Costco. Came with a the bag, 5-pitching wedge for iron, 3 and 4 hybrids, 19* and 22*, a 5 wood 19*, a 3 wood 15*, and a driver 10.5*, along with a mallet putter. I know that my Costco has a similar Nicklaus set for like $275. I like my MV-20 set a lot, but i wouldnt really rely on me, because i havent changed any of the clubs. I bought an Adams GT3 driver(was 40 bucks, worth like 14 now) and kept my nicklaus set, and i changed putters like twice. I also bought some wedges, and i might take my 5wood out of my back because it is the same loft as the 3 hybrid 19* each. But i hit the hybrid farther i think, and if i do have distance gaps, then i mine as well keep it, so it will help me.

I know they aren't a sponsor, but check Callaway Pre-Owned . I've never heard a review that didn't include the phrase "better than described"

If you want really deep discounts, check the Hogan clubs section.

component? whats that?
component from whalt ive seen a generic's or knock off's....not literally knock offs but sort of look the same as a certain club, or sort of try to emulate them...although my fitter sells them and he claims they have the same technology in them, just not the big name that u see on tour...and well basically the way it works is..u go get put on a launch monitor and other things and they take a half dozen measurments...hand length,wrist to floor...things like that....and they make you a club thats perfect for you....i know for certain if you are anything over 6 feet tall off the rack clubs are no good for you cause the shafts wont be long enough...most irons are made for someone whom is about 5'8" tall..i went through a fitting session when i was about a 20 handicapp...and im now an 8..and i still suck a putting so its not that i got better at that part of the game...fitting regardless of how good or bad you are is a good idea...my fitter has full 11 piece sets for like 500 bucks...custom made to boot..

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520