• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Good looks vs. forgiveness

I played Maltby TE Forged that I borrowed from a friend for six months while spending a winter in Thailand a few years ago. Beautiful clubs and I played one of my best golf ever. Came back home and when the season started I was back hitting my frying pans (Wilson Di6) with mixed success. Now is the first time I'm starting a season with a bag of beauties, hopefully my season premiere is on tuesday, wish me luck...or not.
TE's huh? I'll have to look into those.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They feel great, had a Swedish friend in Thailand that fitted them with rifle shafts.

I've seen these and wondered just how good they feel.

Universal bore? Wonder how that works to allow either .355 or .370 shafts.
There's a small dimple in the bottom of the hosel to accept the tip of a .355 shaft.

Oh, and guys, check my sig. I've been playing TE's for over a year now.

There's a small dimple in the bottom of the hosel to accept the tip of a .355 shaft.

Oh, and guys, check my sig. I've been playing TE's for over a year now.

You enjoy the V-steel as well? I played a few rounds with a 15 degree V-steel fitted with a steel shaft, it was dead straight and had a nice balance.

Thats' why I started this thread, just to check with you if you think that the psychological effect in holding a club that feels and look good both in your mind and hands can help you play better golf. Every year there is a new set of clubs that is straighter and longer... Were the clubs from the mid 90's that bad?

"... look good both in you mind and hands can help you play better golf..." This game is 90% mental. The other 10% is all in your head! First and foremost, you MUST be confident of the clubs you are playing. They must look, in YOUR mind, as if they will make the shot you see in YOUR mind.

"Were the clubs from the mid 90's that bad?" Of course not!! Since the advent of perimeter weighting and Computer Aided Design, there has been little change in iron technology. We see different color plastic medallions each year. We see the manufacturer's name written in a different location. PaPaD went out and shot one of his career rounds with a set of Eye 2's. Those were circa 1985. I've shot well this past week with a set from about 1992. We have seen jacked up lofts evolve over the past couple of decades. That is nothing but an ego thing so you young flat-bellies can think the protein shakes you live on are actually making you the next Dustin Johnson.

"You young flatbellies" [emoji4]
Not sure my wife would agree with that statement...
I'm turning 50 this year and have no ambitions to be the next Dustin J...

By the way, i don't like the strong lofting some of the manufacturers present these days. A PW with 45 degrees?? That's almost an 8 iron..

So when it comes down to it, we agree. If it looks good (for you), it plays good.

"You young flatbellies" [emoji4]
By the way, i don't like the strong lofting some of the manufacturers present these days. A PW with 45 degrees?? That's almost an 8 iron.

My thoughts exactly. If there's one benefit about players irons it's the fact that the lofts will be 'traditional'. (Eg. Pw 47/48 degrees)

Having said that I too give myself a face palm over high handicappers wanting to have a WITB like their favourite touring pro.

"... look good both in you mind and hands can help you play better golf..." This game is 90% mental. The other 10% is all in your head! First and foremost, you MUST be confident of the clubs you are playing. They must look, in YOUR mind, as if they will make the shot you see in YOUR mind.

"Were the clubs from the mid 90's that bad?" Of course not!! Since the advent of perimeter weighting and Computer Aided Design, there has been little change in iron technology. We see different color plastic medallions each year. We see the manufacturer's name written in a different location. PaPaD went out and shot one of his career rounds with a set of Eye 2's. Those were circa 1985. I've shot well this past week with a set from about 1992. We have seen jacked up lofts evolve over the past couple of decades. That is nothing but an ego thing so you young flat-bellies can think the protein shakes you live on are actually making you the next Dustin Johnson.

Amen............I'm keeping that card. It is my 2nd best round EVAH! Using 30 year-old clubs.......

Amen............I'm keeping that card. It is my 2nd best round EVAH! Using 30 year-old clubs.......

Relative to your age, those clubs are pretty new. ;)

I'm not worrying what other people have in their bag, far from it.
I also think we drifted away a bit from my original post, the question I asked is if you think that a nice looking club that make you feel good can perform better. That is regardless if it's a GI or players iron. I don't judge what people have in their bags, if it ain't broke don't fix it..

And if you read my original post again I'm not trying to look cool or dissing people that use a specific kind of club.
It's was just a question about how much (if any) the psychological effect can have on your game.

I also love Limps quote "This game is 90% mental. The other 10% is all in your head!" it's gonna be a classic...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

FedEx Ranking