• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Is it bad to store golf clubs in a very cold garage?

Reviving this because I'm wondering if it affects golf balls, too. I had my clubs in my car trunk when it was 14 degrees for a couple of days straight... wondering if I have a pocket full of useless Pro V1s now.
Nope. Also, newer balls can sit at the bottom of a lake for months without having a noticeable affect on performance.

Reviving this because I'm wondering if it affects golf balls, too. I had my clubs in my car trunk when it was 14 degrees for a couple of days straight... wondering if I have a pocket full of useless Pro V1s now.
Anytime the core of a golf ball drops below 15*F is starts to break down on a molecular level, thus reducing is springlike qualities. So just send me your ProV's and I'll dispose of them accordingly.

Anytime the core of a golf ball drops below 15*F is starts to break down on a molecular level, thus reducing is springlike qualities. So just send me your ProV's and I'll dispose of them accordingly.
By knocking them into the water?

Which I believe is entirely possible, but I'm not sure what temperature that would be.

No naturally occurring cold is going to harm the materials modern golf balls are made out of.

Liquid Nitrogen might do something

As a metallurgist I did a long "study" to determine how to keep our parts from rusting. We ended up dipping them in a rust preventative. But this was in the hot summer when the rusting would occur. In the winter there was no problem because the chemical reaction of rusting is not only dependent on water but temperature also. This is what I'm basing my statements on. The metals included iron and steel parts. The more alloyed the STEEL the less rusting. Clubs are made from typically 8620 (alloyed) steel to 1020 (plain carbon) steel. But my SIL keeps his in the garage over the winter and never sees them rust.

Last edited:
Most of the clubs have some sort of finish on them though...so it's not like there's just a hunk of 1020 carbon steel sitting there.

Most of the clubs have some sort of finish on them though...so it's not like there's just a hunk of 1020 carbon steel sitting there.

Exactly (chrome plated). And cast clubs (at least Pings) are usually stainless steel.

As a professional, I tell you dont let your polymer get over 160f. A black paint on a car here in Bama goes 175.

I measured the dash on a Jetta sedan at 198f once with a non contact IR thermometer gun.

Heat is definitely the thing to be aware of, especially if the clubs are in the trunk. I keep mine in the trunk but I park it in a garage year around out of the sun.

Summertime I leave the windows cracked open a bit to help keep the internal temperature closer to the outside air.

Wintertime I have left clubs in the garage and they seem okay as far as I can tell. But I have seen some some aluminum to aluminum bonded bicycles that have separated at the glued joints here in Wisconsin so there might be some concern with bonded golf clubs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520