• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Range Video

ezra76

Reaction score
Figured I'd share it with you guys. I did a few drills and hit the ball great with those. Then try to shorten up my backswing and you'll see why I don't. Last 2 balls I go back to long backswing and belt them with a cut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUcupa25yB4

"Short" backswings are a bad idea for you ez. Stick with what works, I suppose.

Short is in quotes because short for you is really ****in long for eveybody else. :D

It looks to me like you pulled every shot. Could be way off, just what I see...

What is the stagger drill working on?

That's just the way the camera was set up, I noticed it to. If I hit what looked like straight, it would have been 75yds. blocked. There is a tree you see in front of my hands with driver. Just right of that tree is the 250 sign, that's what I'm aiming for. The 2nd to last one missed it by a foot and the last one flew it. So much for "5.3*" launch angle they said I had at the ball fitting. Look at the timer for the vid, I motioned when it landed.

Oh, the 4 "shorter swing" drives I tried all went left, bigtime. Two quackers, a low liner and yes, a skyball.

What is the stagger drill working on?

Coming from the inside. What's sad is I'd probably drop 4 strokes if I hit all my shots like that. :laugh:

Only thing I can tell is you have absolutely no ass! :D

I did put this up for you guys to laugh at. :laugh:

Anyway, it's nothing I haven't seen before. I've just gotten better synchronization over time. Shorter would obviously be better. All I'm doing is getting a bowed left wrist, disconnection and with that, across the line. My right wrist is broken so hardly has any backwards range of motion. That lead to the left bowing since the right is basically saying "fck no, I can't bend that way!!".

Now, I have to reroute on the downswing to get the club back inside and on plane. I've gotten this timed well with the cut swing. So long as the lead hip is the hell out the way, I can hit it as hard as I want and it'll cut. There is the problem with the shorter swing. My timing is fcked. I end up way out OTT because I've eliminated that part where I drop it inside. So, right now, I "need" the long backswing to give me the time to reroute and get the hip cleared before impact. To go to a short backswing and not have to change planes, I'd have to start from the ground up, which could take years or never pan out anyway. Even with that, the right wrist will always be fcked. So the swing is actually a byproduct of working around that broken wrist IMO. It has it's advantages though. Think about it. I never have to worry about my postion at the top. My right wrist stops where it can't bend anymore. So I've learned to square the face from the bowed position. I can't generate as much lag as most people but it seems the byproduct is ridiculously low spin drives.

You gotta work on keeping that noggin' still. My guess as to why you fight consistent contact (popups, push, pull, skull) is that you're moving your brain case way too much.

Try swinging slow, hitting some 150 yard drives while keeping your head as still as possible. It's hard at first, but you'll see where your balance, tempo and spine angle all come into play. Of course, your head has to move at some point in the swing, but have a look at any of the solid swings on Tour (Ernie, Tiger, Sergio, Donald, Freddy, Goosen, etc), all those guys have very quiet heads until right at impact. They never lift, slide or turn until the ball is coming off the face.

It's a great tip, and something that I always go back on when my driver tanks. And, if you can find a solid foundation to go back on when things go bad, you'll find yourself back in the driver's seat faster. Especially with the driver.

Just my 2 cents.

R35

You gotta work on keeping that noggin' still. My guess as to why you fight consistent contact (popups, push, pull, skull) is that you're moving your brain case way too much.

Try swinging slow, hitting some 150 yard drives while keeping your head as still as possible. It's hard at first, but you'll see where your balance, tempo and spine angle all come into play. Of course, your head has to move at some point in the swing, but have a look at any of the solid swings on Tour (Ernie, Tiger, Sergio, Donald, Freddy, Goosen, etc), all those guys have very quiet heads until right at impact. They never lift, slide or turn until the ball is coming off the face.

It's a great tip, and something that I always go back on when my driver tanks. And, if you can find a solid foundation to go back on when things go bad, you'll find yourself back in the driver's seat faster. Especially with the driver.

Just my 2 cents.

R35

Oh, don't judge anything by those shots. I was just trying to figure out why I'm all over the place with a shorter swing. The long backswing works. Dude, I hit 2 dozen drives at the ball fitting with and avg. side spin of -60. That's 2.3 yds. right of dead center.
icon10.gif

Wow, you really swing at 'em don't ya? Let us know when you strike oil while digging.

There is no way I could ever be consistent with an upper body lunge like that. But if it works for you all the better.

I laughed out loud, hard, when I watched this video-not at you though, with you. I have tried this drill and it nauseates me-mainly cuz i keep hitting the f@#$$## shaft. I have to tell a story though...

So in the office I work in there are six of us and four are golfers. We have the putting matt set up and talk crap about how many putts in a row we can make. Well we had the bright idea of getting some foam practice balls to hit around the office when its slow. My buddy brought in his old Wilson Staff forged blades to play with-classic blades with TINY heads. Anyway I tried hitting a ball with the 1 iron the other day and took a divot out of the carpet, I almost died laughing as did my other 2 buddies I work with. Needless to say my buddy repaired the carpet with superglue b4 the boss came back! LOL
icon10.gif

Lol, yeah. Just messing with too much crap today I guess. Yesterday I laid the shaft down and pured PW-5i without missing a shot, 10-12 balls with each. I started messing with my swingplane today, trying to shorten and flatten it, not a good idea from the results. I'm going to need to see a pro to shorten it I think. It's just not as simple as "stop the backswing".

At least I can analyze the $hank now, lol.

Just my 2 cents.

R35

You are right though. I went back to my vids from few months ago and that's exactly what I was working on. I was consciously keeping my head very still and rotating around my spine. At that time I sure wasn't crying about needing any 3i hybrids, that's for sure.

I think I'm going to go back to working on that but also that Faldo drill. I can see it with the driver, I'm not that far off from a good swing plane that I won't have to change 3 times before impact.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520