• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Regripping? DIY or pay?

Doc:

Hogan grips are perilously close to either Rock's ribbed tour velvets, or Lamkin crosslines. These ought to run you about $2 each.

For $2 you can't go wrong. That's what you pay for a cup of coffee these days.

You can probably google up instructions and Glofsmith will sell you a kit of everything you need (including Golf Pride grips) for about $40. If you're unsure of yourself, take a club to a range & ask if they'll regrip it for you, watch & learn. It ain't brain surgery.

Tips:
  • The hardest part is getting the old tape off.
  • Use lots of solvent on the tape & inside the grip. The new tape should be pretty slick.
  • If you're working on graphite shafts, be careful when cutting off the old grip, don't score the shaft with the knife.

Before I jack I'll reply. DIY, it's easy.

I'm getting ready to buy new grips and I have a question. My hands are normal sized but my fingers are a little short. Are there any grips, other than juniors or womens that would be a little smaller in diameter.

The butt end of many shafts are .600 diameter. You can buy grips that are built for .580 diameter. They'll fit nicely then be a tad smaller OD.

Dave,

I have small hands. Genetics. I use .580's with no trouble. Single tape wrap.

R35

haha, i cant believe i sold them either. But they just didnt work for me. I was hooking em like crazy. Cobra SS Forged is where it's at!

wirehair said:
The butt end of many shafts are .600 diameter. You can buy grips that are built for .580 diameter. They'll fit nicely then be a tad smaller OD.

Actually, a .580 grip on a .600 butt shaft will give a slightly fatter grip, not smaller than .600 on .600. To go smaller than that you need .062 grips. Check the grips you've already got, if they're .580, a .600 grip may be just perfect.

The hogans are $6 each.
A little trick for takeing off old tape. Use a hair drier to heat it up and it comes off easy. It will take a little while to get it hot, we use a heat gun and only takes a few seconds.

Sorta off topic a bit, but does anyone have a white trash method of pulling grips off shafts for re-use? I have a couple of brand new grips on shafts that I stupidly put on before thinking about a re-shaft....

Cheers,

R35

Alright, Rock.

We use a grip extractor that has a tough plastic handle joined onto a long solf metal strip that after soaking with grip solvent, you prise up the grip carefully, and in a 360 degree motion. They work just ok, simply for the reason that some of the thinner grips, ie. tour velvet, are very elasticated, thin rubber, and so stretch from their original shape when using this device.

On the other side of the coin, Winn grips are a big no-no when using this thing. The rubber compound used by Winn is simply rock hard, and unless you want to really piss yourself off / build severe forearm muscles by using a frustrating way of doing so, I wouldn't advise even contemplating using this extractor for trying to save Winn grips.

That is the least expensive tool for doing this, so try contacting Golfsmith & have a word to them.

I have a feeling, however, that a "better" tool or device will set you back quite a bit.

Hope this helps...:)

Rockford35 said:
Doc,

Regripping is about as hard as peeling a carrot. The hardest part is buying the supplies. Tape, solvent and grips can all be had for a few bucks at Golfsmith (they actually sell a grip kit that is super cheap).

I have this on hand too:

Ice Cream pail
Rags
Hook blades for utility knife (you can buy these at Home depot for 2 bucks)
Beer

If you run into trouble, let me know. I'll then get the gun and we'll head out into the pasture....:D

R35
What he said.

Get the hook knife, and the rubber vise inserts, especially if you have graphite shafts. It's just too easy to mess up the shaft with a regular razor knife.

Another handy tool to have is a heat gun. The old grip tape can be a real pain to remove. A heat gun will soften the tape enough to peel off easily.

As for solvent, I use mineral spirits. There's no need to pay extra for purpose-built "grip solvent".

All in all, you'll want to spend the cash to get the tools you need. After all, you'll be changing grips at least once a year, right?

I don't don't see the need in changing grips once a year. I have played loads (not so much these days), and don't change them for years.

Bit of soap and water is good, guys....;)

obagain said:
A little trick for takeing off old tape. Use a hair drier to heat it up and it comes off easy. It will take a little while to get it hot, we use a heat gun and only takes a few seconds.

This sounds like a great tip, OB, I'ma gonna have to try it with my heat gun next time I regrip. Thx!

To Rock's question about removing good grips to save them, I've used the method Andy details, but it can be a royal pain in the ass. Does the heating trick work here too? Or does it just melt the grip?

Eracer, feel free to chime in, as you've used this method too....

The heat gun does not work well with getting grips off. We use an air compressor to remove grips but charge the same as buying a new grip because it is a pain.
I would just cut the grips off and save yourself the aggrivation.

That's why I was asking for the "white trash" or low budget version. I'd just as soon buy new grips as bust my ass to save 20 dollars.

Andy, I change my grips twice a year, whether they need them or not. You can't put a price on good grip on a golf club, in my books...

Thanks to those that chimed in.

R35

GregInOz said:
Actually, a .580 grip on a .600 butt shaft will give a slightly fatter grip, not smaller than .600 on .600. To go smaller than that you need .062 grips. Check the grips you've already got, if they're .580, a .600 grip may be just perfect.

I just checked & the shafts on my irons are .600.

How's this work? When I looked up .600 grips they are all labeled mid-size or even jumbo. How do they end up smaller once they are on or? Just curious.

Featured Reviews

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54