• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

RIP Nike Golf

I was shocked to just read this about Tony Finau. Seems Tony is as well.

"Playing this week at the Travelers Championship, Finau was one of several Nike players who got the news late Wednesday afternoon.

I just heard in the last hour so it’s still a little bit of a shock, to say the least,” said Finau, who signed with Nike in January. “I love the equipment I’m playing now, and it’s a real process to get through to make a change like that. I don’t know exactly what it’s going to mean for contracts, but it’s pretty likely that this time next year I won’t be playing Nike clubs.”

But Finau said he understands the way the industry works. “I totally understand it from their perspective,” he said. “They’re killing it in apparel. They’re killing it in footwear. It’s just business.”

In the meantime, Finau isn’t planning on making any equipment changes for the immediate future, and likely nothing until the start of the 2016-17 PGA Tour season or even later. He’s got the FedEx Cup race and he even still plans to make a late run at earning a spot on the U.S. Ryder Cup team, starting this week.

“I just have to put all this in my rearview mirror,” he said. “I can’t worry too much about it. Just go play. I’ll definitely be playing Nike this week.”

Nike Exiting Golf Club Business, to Focus on Footwear, Apparel - Golf Digest

I wonder who's idea it was to have their staff professionals hear about the news the same time everyone else did. Nice DICK move, Nike.

Never liked Nike...still don't. I think I've had a pair of their tennis shoes, some socks I received as gifts, the occasional found ball. I don't remember ever spending 1 dime on Nike golf equipment.

No big loss to me. Good riddance.

Never liked Nike...still don't. I think I've had a pair of their tennis shoes, some socks I received as gifts, the occasional found ball. I don't remember ever spending 1 dime on Nike golf equipment.

No big loss to me. Good riddance.

Fan boy. Bet you even have a hover board.

back-to-the-future-shoes.jpg

I wonder how they will handle warranty issues from here on out. Yes, there will be some deals out there. But, if you happen to get that one 5-iron in a set that has an issue and becomes unusable, we've always known the great customer service available from Ping, Callaway, etc. I guess one would need to buy Nike equipment with the full knowledge it is "as is".

This needed to happen. Too many big fish in the pond killing off all the little fish. Maybe with a big of a vacuum in the equipment market some of the smaller OEM's will find room to survive. Besides, never hit a Nike club I liked and none of their offerings ever made we want to run out and test them.

Most of the Nike stable of players did not get contracts until after they became a name, no home grown phenoms. The Nike predatory practice of stealing players away is over.

I think this will be good for the game.

This happened because I put my Nike hybrids back in the bag last week.
The way the urban myth goes, you'll never have an enjoyable or productive day on the course with those in your bag.

This needed to happen. Too many big fish in the pond killing off all the little fish. Maybe with a big of a vacuum in the equipment market some of the smaller OEM's will find room to survive. Besides, never hit a Nike club I liked and none of their offerings ever made we want to run out and test them.

Most of the Nike stable of players did not get contracts until after they became a name, no home grown phenoms. The Nike predatory practice of stealing players away is over.

I think this will be good for the game.

Tim, with respect, that really can't withstand scrutiny.

Plenty of players move around other club manufacturers without the same claims. GMac: from Callaway to Srixon. Villegas: from Cobra to TaylorMade. Poulter: From Titleist to Cobra to Titleist. Ernie Els: from TaylorMade to Callaway to Adams.

The list goes on ... and on.

Tim, with respect, that really can't withstand scrutiny.

Plenty of players move around other club manufacturers without the same claims. GMac: from Callaway to Srixon. Villegas: from Cobra to TaylorMade. Poulter: From Titleist to Cobra to Titleist. Ernie Els: from TaylorMade to Callaway to Adams.

The list goes on ... and on.
Yes, big name players change brands, but brands like Titleist, Taylor Made, and Ping sponsor and support players prior to making it big. You never really saw that kind of development at Nike. Tiger and Rory broke onto the Tour with Titleist and followed the paycheck, which young players broke onto the tour playing Nike clubs?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,420

eclark53520