• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ryder Cup picks

BigJim13

Staff member
Reaction score
Just saw on Sportscenter the list of players from 9-20 and it got me thinking "who would I pick?" I am excited about this team and especially happy for Bubba Watson and Jeff Overton (has there been an unluckier guy on tour this year than overton? Not counting DJ of course).

Anyway here are my picks just for giggles:

1. Tiger-if you think he's not getting picked than you need to have your head examined!
2. Zach Johnson
3. Lucas Glover
4. Stewart Cink

I think these 4 give the team a nice mix of new guys (DJ, Overton, Kuchar, Watson) and vetereans who have good cup experience.

What say you all?

Woods sucks in the Ryder cup and is currently playing like shit. Why would anyone pick him? His name means nothing, his game does, and it isnt up to snuff at the moment. He would also be a far bigger distraction than anything else. To top it off he isnt a team player.

I would take Zack without a doubt. He is a big game player and is always steady. I would also take Anthony Kim based on his Ryder Cup performance last year.

• Staff
Woods sucks in the Ryder cup and is currently playing like shit. Why would anyone pick him? His name means nothing, his game does, and it isnt up to snuff at the moment. He would also be a far bigger distraction than anything else. To top it off he isnt a team player.

I would take Zack without a doubt. He is a big game player and is always steady. I would also take Anthony Kim based on his Ryder Cup performance last year.

While I agree with everything you say about Woods, the reality is that Pavin HAS to pick Woods. There is just now way around it. I thought about Kim but haven't heard much about him this year, I would be ok with him on the team.

I don't think Pavin HAS to do anything. Let the media outrage come, and he can say, "Tiger was 30 shots off the lead a few weeks ago." It's HIS picks. He can do whatever he wants. I wouldn't take Tiger right now.

• Staff
I don't think Pavin HAS to do anything. Let the media outrage come, and he can say, "Tiger was 30 shots off the lead a few weeks ago." It's HIS picks. He can do whatever he wants. I wouldn't take Tiger right now.

Do you honestly think he won't take Tiger? I would love to hear from anybody on this board or any board for that matter that honestly thinks that Pavin won't take Tiger.

While technically he does have the choice to pick Tiger or not, there really isn't a choice there at all. This is one of those situations you run into in life every now and then where the choice isn't really a choice. Example: Man hates job, technically has the option of not going to work. If he doesn't go to work can't pay bills and feed family. Result: not really an option there.

He will pick Woods certainly, but he wouldn't deserve it less. It's time for the U.S. to show they can be strong without Tiger. They did so already last year and should focus on the new young guys instead. I wouldn't bring Glover but rather have a very young guy to start getting experience there. How about Fowler for example? Anyway, there is a hell of a Ryder Cup to come, and I can't wait!!!

I wouldn't take Kobe for a dream-team if he'd been going 2-44 from the field every game for the last six months, even though he is KOBE BRYANT.

I understand where you're coming from, it's a "GASP!! YOU DIDN'T TAKE TIGER!!" thing. But I think that's a crock of crap. There are many many guys who've been playing SUBSTANTIALLY better golf than Tiger Woods. You'd think a guy who knows the World Rankings system, like Corey Pavin, would also recognize that they're not exactly an instantaneous measure of which golfers are playing the best.

That's what Corey's responsibility it-- picking THOSE guys. Picking the guys who are going to play the best golf for this event. Long term, I might be inclined to respect and even encourage a pick of Tiger Woods. Tiger may still win more majors than many of these guys-- it's possible, though debateable. But for the Ryder Cup, I really think there are just too many better choices in the here-and-now.

And honestly I haven't been following the PGA well enough to give you a list. But I've been watching Tiger go out and play like a middle-of-the-pack touring pro enough to know that the team is not going to miss him if he doesn't get the invite.

It may be possible that the Jim Gray issue has given Pavin an out. Up until Gray publicly stated that Woods was in, Woods was. At that point in time, Pavin had no choice if TW didn't embarass himself at the PGA... or in a Perkins parking lot. With the Gray issue front and center, I could see Pavin taking ABBT. If he takes TW, Gray will say "I told you so!". If he takes ABBT, Pavin clearly comes out the winner in vs. Gray.
The entire issue comes down to politics. The facts are out there. TW has not played well in past RC play. TW has suggested, in the past, that he should get paid for playing in the RC. TW's current game isn't anywhere near where it has been. No one knows when the next egocentric display of temper will fire off. The RC week is a "team" week that involves photo shoots with wives and girlfriends. There are just too many of those group events where TW would have to either suck it up and be reminded of the past year... or show up with a girlfriend.
On the other hand, Pavin's phone is ringing off the wall. TV networks, the PGA, fans of TW... I'm sure there are plenty pleading a case for him to choose TW. This will be the single most difficult selection... or non-selection... to any Ryder Cup in history.

When are Pavin's picks published, this week, arent they?

If Tiger is chosen, could he bring a couple/three/four girlfriends to the dinners and such? Would they design the Ryder Cup clothing to accentuate their augmentations?

Kevin

I'd like to hear what 4 guys are playing so much better right now.

Immediately after I posted that I thought that maybe I was being a little hard on Tiggy. Still, I don't think he should be a lock. I'd take ZJ over Tiger right now.

i think AK should be in the picture.

Tiger's record in the Ryder Cup stinks. He doesnt play well with others, and isnt anywhere near a team player. This is all when he was on the top of his game.
With his game in a shambles, his life in general in shambles, why would anyone want him on the team?
Add in all the distraction he would bring, I cant see why Pavin would even consider it.

AK is a far better choice imo, especially considering his play last time around in the cup.

Also, with the way modern players are brought up playing competitive golf from childhood, the coaching etc, the experience factor is no longer an issue imo. In this day and age, experience simply means old.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520

3. 15,301