• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sharpening Grooves

1396468953180.jpg

I have one of this style. It can be a chisel motion or a pull motion.

A couple points;

A cutting oil is a nice lubricant, and due to the deformed edges you wont be getting full cuts in one pass. Its gonna be a lot of lighter pressure passes, and keep tight control of the thing as it will try to jump out of the track and scratch the face. I wear some gloves and clamp the head in a immoveable way with the face up and parallel to my work bench, using a rag or something under it to help keep the face from rocking when i work across it.

View attachment 24178

I have one of this style. It can be a chisel motion or a pull motion.

A couple points;

A cutting oil is a nice lubricant, and due to the deformed edges you wont be getting full cuts in one pass. Its gonna be a lot of lighter pressure passes, and keep tight control of the thing as it will try to jump out of the track and scratch the face. I wear some gloves and clamp the head in a immoveable way with the face up and parallel to my work bench, using a rag or something under it to help keep the face from rocking when i work across it.
Cool, thanks bro!!!

A couple points;

Good advice. But why do you wear gloves?

Why not just get a vokey?

Good advice. But why do you wear gloves?
Mine has a sharpened carbide tip, and if you are doing a lot of clubs the gloves arent just for safety they help fatigue from high pressure points in the hands.

I personally would take a sanding disc to the face, then cut them, then refine the vertical toe and hosel lines with a polish wheel.

Dont worry about that usga legal crap.. you could use 50 grit paper on those faces and not even get close to what the tm rocketbladez or cleveland 588 rtx faces have for roughness carved into them.

Last edited:
Consider the use of a light titanium silver paint to reconsider the wear area. Its very close to the oem appearances.

Consider the use of a light titanium silver paint to reconsider the wear area. Its very close to the oem appearances.
Cool, I'll post before and after shots when the sharpener gets here.

I personally would take a sanding disc to the face, then cut them, then refine the vertical toe and hosel lines with a polish wheel.

That works surprisingly well with a raw finish. I've never tried on a plated finish.

Why not just get a vokey?
So I got my ebay bucks certificate today and while not a huge amount it may be enough to procure the Callaway X Series Jaws wedges, which I've read good reviews on. Still going to try and sharpen the grooves on this SW but if I can get wedges with house money that's a bonus!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520

3. 15,301