• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The World Cup

My call on this.
here are the 16 qualifying teams, in bold the quarter-finalists, in red the semi-finalists and underlined my dream final, with Argentina winning 4-3 in the final!!!

Brazil
Argentina

Holland
Italy

France
Czech rep.
England
Germany

Spain
Sweden
Equador
Mexico
Portugal
Australia
South Korea
Ukraine

Looks pretty reasonable with the exception that Brazil would play either Italy or the Czech republic in the 1st round. I only knew this because they are in the USA Bracket. Spain, Ukraine, or Korea would be one of the teams that would move on to the quarters I believe.

I would love to see a Brazil/Argentina final as well. Neither one came out of the box too hot, though. Argentinia looked even flatter than Brazil in their opening game. Its also going to be hard to ignore Germany playing at home.

Some good game the past few days. All the scoring seems to happen in the last few minutes of the game. Germany scoring late. England scoring late. The England game was the first time I got to watch Beckham play a full game and not just on the highlight reels. His passing is just plain awesome. Its almost like he has a remote control to put the ball where ever he wants to.

ualtim said:
Argentina was not too impressive...

Well I can categorically say that they have turned that round. A 6-0 demolition of Serbia & Montenegro, with possibly one of the best goals ever scored. 24 passes with a great finish. Watch out, these guys are on fire!!

Las Malvenas!!

OOOh god I hope we dont have to play Argentina!!!

FKA Pa Jayhawk said:
Well, unless Ghana figures heavily into this equation, the US will most certainly need a win and not just a tie against Italy and then Ghana to move on.

I only really saw the US make one team run against the Czech team, and it did not come until the 75th minute, which resulted in a breakaway by the Czechs, and their 3rd goal. The rest of their few shots were from outside the 18. And Reyna's shot off the post and one of Johnson's 3 chances were really the only thing remotely close. Their defense also seemed to be playing off their heels all day and did not really pressure the Czech offense, allowing them the time to set up.

If they can pull it together and beat Italy and Ghana, in all likelyhood it would make Brazil the next match. :)

Well, Ghana certainly ended figuring heavily into the US equation. Did they look like the Brazilians in that match against the Czechs, or what? Maybe the quality of play (missed passes, etc.) wasn't up to snuff, but they certainly played a tactically sound game, and the players showed great field awareness and creativity.

I'm still too pissed to really comment about the US-Italy match. WE WERE ROBBED! That ref should never touch a field again. McBride offside on Beasley's game-winner? OK. But should Pope have gotten a yellow card two minutes into the second half? No way. And Mastroeni's red card was simply insane. Insane...

IrishGolfer said:
Well I can categorically say that they have turned that round. A 6-0 demolition of Serbia & Montenegro, with possibly one of the best goals ever scored. 24 passes with a great finish. Watch out, these guys are on fire!!

Las Malvenas!!

That was what I was expecting from both Argentina and Brazil out of the gate. Could be bad for the Aussies if Brazil opens up a can the way Argentia did.

I was a bit disapointed in the refs in the US game, but I am so proud of the way the US team overcame the adversity and pulled out a tie.

Ghana was simply awesome. I guess its never safe to assume that the weakest team on paper will remain so. They were good enough to get into to the cup, so there has to be some talent on the team. It make the US road a bit tougher to travel as they have to get a win over Ghana if they want to play against Brazil in the second round.

You should of seen the ref in Englands first game he gave paraguays goalie a yellow card for holding the ball for more than six seconds.

ualtim said:
Ghana was simply awesome.

Most open game of football I have ever seen!!! So many chances, but I have to say that they were reckless in the way they played. Their strategy seemed to be "score more goals than you let in" and they got away with it. It would have been interesting to see them play Germany or Italy (maybe they will). Having said that they were "effing fit" covering the field for the full 90 mins.

I was very glad to watch this game, this is how football was meant to be. Two teams going for it with reckless abandon. I don't think Ghana will win but they are a great team to watch.

Agreed IG. That is the way football was meant to be played. 0-0 ties are not very exciting.

ualtim said:
Agreed IG. That is the way football was meant to be played. 0-0 ties are not very exciting.

I disagree. The 0-0 tie between Sweden and Trinidad was a thrilling game. Much more interesting and enjoyable than Argentina's 6-0 pasting of the hapless Serbiamontenegrans. And the Germany - Poland match was physical and intense for 90 minutes of 0-0 play, with the Polish keeper making some brilliant saves. The Germans winning in extra time was pretty exciting, I thought. Not all 0-0 matches are exciting, I'll grant you that. In fact, some are real defensive snooze-fests. And to make a blanket statement, US fans are so used to equating number of points with quality of game, that we sometimes fail to appreciate the game for what it is. Heck, some of the most exciting baseball games (the "American Game") are pitcher's duels that end up 1-0 in the 12th inning.

IG - did you really think that Ghana played recklessly? I saw a lot of attacking soccer, yes. But I thought they controlled the midfield quite brilliantly in the game against the Czechs. Then they turned that into scoring runs. Their back line was very effective as well, and the keeper played a great game. I don't think you can call an opportunistic attacking offense reckless, IMHO...As for their match fitness - whew!

While I should not put all 0-0 ties in the same basket, most fall into the defensive standoffs that are not very exciting. The Germany-Poland match became exciting when Odonkor came into the game and starting making something happen in the last 20 mins. The Polish goal keeper kept them in it longer than they should have been.

Yes, there can be some exciting 0-0 ties, but I prefer watching offensive teams such as Brazil and Argentina that play an aggressive offensive game. Like watching the Bulls when Jordon was in his prime, the Oilers when Gretzky was there, and the 49'ers when Montana was at the helm, a good offensive squad is always enjoyable to watch.

Eracer said:
Well, Ghana certainly ended figuring heavily into the US equation. Did they look like the Brazilians in that match against the Czechs, or what? Maybe the quality of play (missed passes, etc.) wasn't up to snuff, but they certainly played a tactically sound game, and the players showed great field awareness and creativity.

I'm still too pissed to really comment about the US-Italy match. WE WERE ROBBED! That ref should never touch a field again. McBride offside on Beasley's game-winner? OK. But should Pope have gotten a yellow card two minutes into the second half? No way. And Mastroeni's red card was simply insane. Insane...
Yeah, they did help us out, now if Italy can extend the same courtesy. :)

Actually, I was on the road and only saw the last 15 to 20 minutes of the the US-Italy game, but I have it on tape. I saw none of the Ghana-Czech match. By that time they were playing 9 against 10 and it was 1-1. So I will be watching the US-Italy game later today. I did hear alot about it though.

I was pretty impressed with the AUS-Brazil match. The Aussies look like a pretty good team, they performance in the last 5 minutes of the JPN game was one of the best I have seen.

Adam Pettman said:
OOOh god I hope we dont have to play Argentina!!!

Don't worry, we will bore them to sleep then pop one in the net and celebrate very quietly so the game ends 1-0.

If we get the kick off we should just get Gerrard to shoot straight away, if the keeper gets his hands to it they will probably come off!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520