• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Vintage golf play

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In our ever constant quest to find new ways to waste good money on golf stuff, subsonic and I have decided to build up vintage golf bags to use in actual play from time to time. Equipment requirements agreed to are as follows. Woods must be made of wood - persimmon or laminates ok. No hybrids allowed. Irons must be forged and pre 1980 release. Ruled out my PING Eye 2, dammit. Putter has to be pre-anser style. Modern era golf balls are in. We'll agree on tee boxes played from and any planned flagrant rule violations at the course. Time to start shopping. Scores and stories will be interesting . ;)

In my limited research, it is best to use low compression modern balls with the old woods.

I may even keep my eyes out for a vintage outfit...

This is going to be a lot of fun.

The madness has begun. Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge 4w - All for the sum total of $3.14. I'm ahead, unless subsonic went shopping at lunch today. :cool:

20161128_115536_zpsnbi2pv6b.jpg

20161128_115516_zpsamoi1ngn.jpg

I did this in the first tournament of our season last year, in memory of my only golf instructor, Alex McNeil, who died a couple of months before. He had been a Hogan staffer, so I used his Hogan staff bag (I bought it from his estate), Hogan laminate driver, 3, 5, and 7 woods, Hogan Radial irons 3-SW, and some ancient Hogan putter.

The woods and irons were easy to hit straight, but they were way short. I shot a 104, 9 shots higher than any other tournament I played in that year, and about 12 shots higher than my average.

This sounds like fun.

hmmm-alright.gif

You guys could join us - show pics of your bag and then report in on your rounds. I talked to my local PIAS owner and he says the stuff I am looking for is the stuff he turns down, so I am probably limited to Flea Markets, eBay and thrift shops. Shopping is half the fun. There are tons of flea markets in Florida, so I'll continue the quest there in Jan. I need to find a driver with plenty of loft - that might be tough. This 4w I got today actually looks hitable at address - we'll see!

The madness has begun. Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge 4w - All for the sum total of $3.14. I'm ahead, unless subsonic went shopping at lunch today. :cool:

20161128_115536_zpsnbi2pv6b.jpg

20161128_115516_zpsamoi1ngn.jpg

Well bought geezer. Well bought.

I almost bought a set of Hogan BH05's last month.

I almost bought a set of Hogan BH05's last month.
The BH5 came out just after Callaway took the Ben Hogan brand (1999 ish?). That head is a dead knock off of the Callaway X14 head but without the 360* undercut face. Good sticks!

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424