• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Worst range session ever....ugh...

Drop dead gorgeous young blond little thing. Was very upset but not injured. Nobody was amazingly. :)

Our course has a no cell phone on the grounds policy. Simple as that, you dont like it, play somewhere else. I for one welcome the rule.

On a side note, we have at least half a dozen doctor members who seem to have no problem with this rule.

Nice policy. How do they enforce it?

When my ex and I split, I made a commitment to my girls that I'd be available at any time for them. My cell phone gives me this ability. They know to leave me a message and that I will get back with them as soon as I can. On the course I will check the phone a few times for messages, and if I have any I'll listen to them. Unless it's an emergency, I don't return the call until after the round is over so as not to disturb others.

And, frankly, my kids come before a round of golf (and many other things) 100% of the time...always have, always will.

Question for those who totally oppose a phone on the course: A family member/good friend is severly injured and needs you within the first few holes of a round, but your phone is in the car. When the round is over, you find this out and realize that if you had had your phone on the course, you could have helped them out, and in the extreme possibly seen them before they died. Or, your wife goes into labor prematurely and you miss the whole thing. Are you really saying those 18 holes are more important?

Yep, they're extreme examples, but it happens. Why not have the phone with you, but manage it properly?

So far, I've only used my phone on the course one time. That was to report some kids who were using the golf carts they'd borrowed as bumper cars on #17 fairway and weren't even playing golf (1 bag for 6 kids). My pro greatly appreciated that call.

None of the above is meant to single anyone out, so don't take it personally. And, I agree that phones can be/are annoying on the course when not used properly.

I think we're on the same page.... it's only golf.

Well, I'll just say my story then.

Last year, summer, my grandmother was in the hospital on her deathbed. Some may think less of me for this, but either way. Only two people were allowed in at any time, since it was the Neural ICU. I was rarely one of them, only for maybe 5 minutes at a time. Y'know, her kids, her husband, all that. I didn't mind so much, as I was there for support as much as anything.

Getting on, I sat in that hospital for at least 12 hours every day for a week. I read, a lot. Well, after a week I felt so horrible because I didn't do anything, I woke up, drove to the hospital, then went home. So I needed to get out, get my mind off the situation, and do something I enjoy(sometimes) to at least breathe a little.

I went golfing, my phone was on the whole time. Vibrate in the pocket, but still. So yes, I think there are exceptions. Maybe I shouldn't have gone out, but it helped.

Elaborating, the doctor that operated on my grandmother was the best neurologist guy in the Southwest, bottom line. The UNMH(University of New Mexico Hospital) pays him a lot to keep him there, clinching UNMH as having the best neurology dept in a hospital for the Southwest. This guy likes to golf too, should he then, turn his cell phone off whenever he plays? I mean, he's the best there is, so if a rare case or whatever comes up and they need to get ahold of him, too bad? Or should he, as a person, give up golf entirely?

Okay, I can see a doctor carrying one. Also, the father with daughters. One of my favorite lines in "Caddyshack" was when the doctor's phone rang and he tried to get out of the game and finally said "it's probably only a MINOR emergency"!! :laugh:

Nice policy. How do they enforce it?

Members get one week suspension for first offense, 2nd offense is two weeks, third is bye bye.

Guests are a members responsibility, so it is our job to ensure cell phones stay in the car.

Members get one week suspension for first offense, 2nd offense is two weeks, third is bye bye.

Guests are a members responsibility, so it is our job to ensure cell phones stay in the car.

i love that rule... i hate playing with the buisness man who seems to think his office is in between shots...

but can someone use their phone in the parking lot, etc...

Yep, perfect.

You will never convince me otherwise.

Ask DaveE to tell the story of my arrival to Austin. I felt completely out of sorts being the only one of 200 on the plane that didn't IMMEDIATELY check my phone for mail, messages or the like.

It'll be the day that I'm in that dire need that I need a cell phone 24/7. You can't be the center of the universe to a degree that you can't get away from it all for 4 hours?

Nice life. No thanks.

R35

Yep, perfect.

You will never convince me otherwise.

Ask DaveE to tell the story of my arrival to Austin. I felt completely out of sorts being the only one of 200 on the plane that didn't IMMEDIATELY check my phone for mail, messages or the like.

It'll be the day that I'm in that dire need that I need a cell phone 24/7. You can't be the center of the universe to a degree that you can't get away from it all for 4 hours?

Nice life. No thanks.

R35

thats just how it is on any of the many many flights i have taken in the past year, including going backpacking in australia...

as soon as the plane lands, or even as soon as they cant get a signal, they pull out their phones....

now i dont work, unless you count soccer reffing(which i dont) so it is probably easier for me to say that....

My problem is that I don't think I was in the wrong for doing something I enjoy to get my mind off, but leaving the cell on just in case. Most of the time I turn it off, with good reason.

It's just like courses like LyleG's that have a seemingly intolerant snobbish attitude. I'll avoid the course, and play one just as good with decent people. Shoot, some of the nicest people, who allowed denim, and didn't mind that I had my cell on, were at the Robert Trent Jones course in Enterprise.

I just can't stand complete intolerance, it seems arrogant.

I agree with you Jeff.

I just did a 15 page paper on why people from Vermont are smarter, and Divot's statement right there is going in now.

My problem is that I don't think I was in the wrong for doing something I enjoy to get my mind off, but leaving the cell on just in case. Most of the time I turn it off, with good reason.

It's just like courses like LyleG's that have a seemingly intolerant snobbish attitude. I'll avoid the course, and play one just as good with decent people. Shoot, some of the nicest people, who allowed denim, and didn't mind that I had my cell on, were at the Robert Trent Jones course in Enterprise.

I just can't stand complete intolerance, it seems arrogant.

i actually do leave my cell on during my round, on vibe, or very quiet ring that i could only hear if i am right next to or going in my bag....

what i was saying is that i absolutely cannot stand the people that think the round is a time for getting work done.. i have played with many of people that run up to the first tee, throw off their tie, switch into some golf shoes, and dont stop yakking on their cell phone for the first 4 holes, until an emergency at work comes up, and they have to leave the course in the middle of a round.... and this is no exaggeration either, i have played with a handful of golfers that follow that exactly how i described it...

I just did a 15 page paper on why people from Vermont are smarter, and Divot's statement right there is going in now.

hope you dont run into too much trouble trying to find people to fill up the other 14 3/4 of the paper... j/k Vt...

Hahaha. No, I totally understand for people who are on their cell phones a decent bit out on the course. If you have that many calls, stay off.

But one or two calls, especially in different situations, is fine by me.

The problem is, it's all or nothing. I'd rather err on the side of tolerance, but that's just my style.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520