• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

370 from 355 taper possible?

twofast2s

Reaction score
MP33 i believe has .355 tip and some guy had them professionally bored the hosel to .370

what are the benefits of going from .355 to .37?
can you still use shimms to use .355 tip to fit into .370 like the graphite shaft in woods?

the benefits in going from taper tip to .370 are 1) more shaft options, 2) more fitting options 3) simple inventory

more shafts are available in .370 tip - if you look at a golfsmith of golfworks catalog, you'll see almost all iron shafts are available in .370 - many aren't available in taper tip

for fitting options you can tip trim a little more or less than the instructions to have a shaft play stiffer or weaker when you're using .370 (my irons are Reg flex tipped to firm) - you can "hard step" or "soft step" taper tip, but I like being able to just change the tip trim a bit

simple inventory because you don't need to keep an extra 3-PW set of taper tips around to replace any one broken shaft - say my 7 iron shaft breaks tomorrow - I happen to have an extra .370 shaft that cost me $10 kicking around - I can check the instructions, trim it a bit more from the tip and it's easy - if it was taper tip, I've only seen extra 2, 5, and wedge shafts available

I just had a Titleist 585 taper tip bored out to .370 - I had several .370 shafts around and just like the options it gave me

if you have taper tip shafts you want to keep - it looks like shims are available
Golfsmith.com: Golfsmith Brass Shaft Shims (PKG Of 12) - Golfsmith

thanks for the reply.

so the parallel tip and tapered tip shafts are similar in performance?

thanks for the reply.

so the parallel tip and tapered tip shafts are similar in performance?

Some say that tapered tip shafts spin the ball more, so guys wanting a flatter trajectory bore their irons out to .370 to do so. What perfomance impact that would have is extremely limited, IMO.

In other words, no difference worth mentioning.

R35

I know .335 tip wood shafts are more flexible than .370 iron shafts, but I don't think I could feel the difference between .335 or .350 in a driver and I'm quite sure I couldn't feel the difference between 2 irons with similar shafts either

I know .335 tip wood shafts are more flexible than .370 iron shafts, but I don't think I could feel the difference between .335 or .350 in a driver and I'm quite sure I couldn't feel the difference between 2 irons with similar shafts either

Dont feel bad. Most of us suck so bad distinguishing between a left and right hand club can be a problem.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520