• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

All of you "Junior" golfers...

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Reaction score
I have a question for you. My son is taking a great interest in the game at age 8. So, my question to you youngies out there with low handis, is how did you progress in the game? Did you play the game as a kid and just enjoy it, only getting proper instruction later through the school golf team and such?

Why I ask is because my 8 yr old is in love with the game, wants to eventually sign up for the middle school team, then high school, etc... I am of the mindset of letting him just play now and enjoy it with maybe some minor instruction from me, and then get him some proper instruction later when he's older. Any ideas from our group here, young punks or old farts, is welcome. ;)

I'd start with a few lessons from a pro early on. don't go crazy just a few. I wish I would have had those few early lessons when i was a kid. treat it liek any other sport kids play. They get coached right from the start. Unless you feel extremly confident in your coaching abilities which for all i know may be superb, get him a coach.

I think you should start him off as soon as he shows interest. If he wants to get better, get him some lessons or something. I'm 16, i started when i was 14, but i wish i had started earlier, because i have a lot of catching up to do as a 10 handicap, seeing 15 and 16 year olds who are scratch. But, if you press him early, then he might lose interest. I think you should feel it out. If he is really into it, then help him along. If not, let him pick up the game if and when he wants to. JMO. Neal

I started out 3 years ago as a hacker got inot the local club due to my firends dad being a member, I got a handicap of 40 when I was 12 and got down to 24 in about 4 weeks of playing the game I was a natural, the best thing for me was not lessons but playing everyday after school only if I could get in 2 holes and practicing all types of shots not serious just mucking about. I then began to take it serious and got down to 13 2 years ago and made reserve on my first junior team and won all my matches so easy, I then got on the team which has helped me gain experience so much. Last year I dropped down to 5 with a average score of 76 in the season with a low of cometition of 71 and a high of 84. The best advice I can offer is play loads, get im into a club early trust me, I would be scratch if not better if I started when I was 8, and if your son was dedicated he will be as well.

Don't lose the opportunity of your future pension jackpot. Sit on him like a bear, coach him hard (till his "hands bleed"), beat a competitive spirit into him, hose him down every night with ice cold water if he doesn't break 70 to toughen him up. Get him a contract with Nike and then watch the $$$s roll in. You job will be done.

I've got my 5 year old on a fast track program. He should turn pro by the time he is 14, and be in Major contention by 2020. I'll be on Pina Colada Road by then, sucking back on the fruits of my work.

Hope that helps. ;)

IrishGolfer said:
Don't lose the opportunity of your future pension jackpot. Sit on him like a bear, coach him hard (till his "hands bleed"), beat a competitive spirit into him, hose him down every night with ice cold water if he doesn't break 70 to toughen him up. Get him a contract with Nike and then watch the $$$s roll in. You job will be done.

I've got my 5 year old on a fast track program. He should turn pro by the time he is 14, and be in Major contention by 2020. I'll be on Pina Colada Road by then, sucking back on the fruits of my work.

Hope that helps. ;)

OK folks, we have a winner. :p

IrishGolfer said:

Hope that helps. ;)
That reminds me of my dad "sniff sniff". He used to beat me reletlessly with a hockey stick and shoot pucks at me while i was pinned in a corner. To this day is weep at the sight of those wonderful balck discs. He was a great man.

DaveE said:
OK folks, we have a winner. :p

That looks just like me, except that guy looks he'd be hard pressed to break 90.

IrishGolfer said:

Hope that helps. ;)
Thanks, IG. I needed that reinforcement for Devin's current regiment. I was having second thoughts about going soft. Except, I've been doing hot coffee instead of ice water. Should I change?

As to the picture that looks like you; that is scary. Not only does that guy look like he couldn't break 90, he looks like maybe that baby must be adopted-- if you catch my meaning...

Get some lessons. Maybe have him and a friend go together. Some of the competitive juices flow when you're having fun.

I was 4 when I started. I just dicked around on the course with my grandparents. But, when I was about 16, I had some lessons. Good lessons. I wished I woulda had them earlier so I would be more into the game than I am today, which is alot.

Don't force it. Just go out and let it take care of itself. If he's having fun, and so are you, it'll engrain itself in there quite easily.

My dad was a terrible golfer. He plays maybe 2 times a year. About 8 years ago, we played in Orlando. He hadn't played in a year at least. Hole #6 he lays out a 185 yard 3 iron that rolls about 100 feet into the cup. Biggest smile on his face. I smiled bigger than he did. I was into the game while he wasn't. It was sort of a role reversal.

Anyone can get hooked into this game. It just takes the right approach. If you guys go practice, make it into a game. Invite some of his friends, get them going too.

This is such a great game. Anyone can play it, totally suck, and still have a great time.

R35

The master said:
I started out 3 years ago as a hacker got inot the local club due to my firends dad being a member, I got a handicap of 40 when I was 12 and got down to 24 in about 4 weeks of playing the game I was a natural ...

lol... Some golf players I know scored 17 on their very first round, when they were 14 years of age. This is natural... :p

Loop said:
lol... Some golf players I know scored 17 on their very first round, when they were 14 years of age. This is natural... :p

Yeah I know that friend I think I can see his pencil out of my widow it is a disnet land one with a big magic on it. :p :p

rockford35 said:
Get some lessons. Maybe have him and a friend go together. Some of the competitive juices flow when you're having fun.

I was 4 when I started. I just dicked around on the course with my grandparents. But, when I was about 16, I had some lessons. Good lessons. I wished I woulda had them earlier so I would be more into the game than I am today, which is alot.

Don't force it. Just go out and let it take care of itself. If he's having fun, and so are you, it'll engrain itself in there quite easily.

My dad was a terrible golfer. He plays maybe 2 times a year. About 8 years ago, we played in Orlando. He hadn't played in a year at least. Hole #6 he lays out a 185 yard 3 iron that rolls about 100 feet into the cup. Biggest smile on his face. I smiled bigger than he did. I was into the game while he wasn't. It was sort of a role reversal.

Anyone can get hooked into this game. It just takes the right approach. If you guys go practice, make it into a game. Invite some of his friends, get them going too.

This is such a great game. Anyone can play it, totally suck, and still have a great time.

R35
That about sums it up here.

He loves it. We have fun together. We go to the course practice green and just putt away. We have "competitions" for closes to the hole putts, who can 2-putt, etc... I always make sure he walks away from the competitions at least winning a stick of gum.

I just called the local first-tee program and think I'll get him in it, since he was asking for some golf-related sign-up this summer.

Word up.

Does he have his own clubs?

This was huge for me. I had a set of cutoffs and played the hell outta them until i outgrew them.

I heard somewhere that John Daly got his loopy swing from using a full length 3 iron when he was a kid. It was just about as tall as him so he needed to develop a swing that he could get the head of the club on the ball.

I can just imagine a little kid with a mullet swinging that big long iron and loving it.

The rest is history....

R35

New prov1 you can see the coating is different to compared to the old one.

OPPS worng thread SORRY GUYS!!!!
titleist ball.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35