• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Am I The Only One?

fisher

Reaction score
Who has absolutely no interest in the Ryder Cup? It ranks right up there with The Three Tour Challenge.

Who has absolutely no interest in the Ryder Cup? It ranks right up there with The Three Tour Challenge.

Nope, I could care less. As far as I am concerned if they never played the Ryder Cup again I would barely notice. For me there is already an international championship that is more important, 4 of them actually-they are the majors!

Other than the thread I started about the captains picks, mainly to generate some discussion, I could care less. I find it hard to watch as well!

I'm with you Fisher. The Ryder Cup is an exhibition, really, nothing more.

I get more excited about the President's Cup actually. In the Ryder Cup, they make out their pairings by themselves, then just reveal them. In President's Cup, they actually do a "snake draft" for the pairings which makes it much more about strategy than a blind pick for pairings.

In the end though, they are both exhibitions. If it was raining out, I might watch it. But a weekend in September? I'm on the golf course.

Here's how much I care..... I don't even Tivo it.

I Tivo every episode of the Big Break which has much more drama to it because the competitors actually care and it means something to them.

This year though, I may watch it a little depending on the captains picks. Everyone on the teams so far I like to watch for the most part. On both sides. It's no longer DL3, Cink, Leonard, (insert terribly boring golfer name here) etc. Overton, DJ, Bubba, Kuchar and Kaymer are all first-timers. If Pavin picks Fowler, I'll definitely watch. At least Fowler's matches.

Try being something other than American or European and the Ryder Cup gets even worse. There is nothing in golf I could care less about.

Joining the party, here. If its raining I'll watch, otherwise, I don't really care. Seems like more "timeless tradition" in a sport that is already overburdened with it. There are worse things. I don't DISLIKE the RC; but indifference is as good as it gets. That goes for most golf tournaments though for me. Id always rather do than watch someone else do.

What it boils dow too for me is that this is an individual sport. Its not a team sport. That's what I like about it. I hate team sports. I'll take individual sports or one on one competition anyday over team sports.

I love the Ryder Cup. Team golf rocks. High school golf, college golf, it's all good.

Kevin

Try being something other than American or European and the Ryder Cup gets even worse. There is nothing in golf I could care less about.

How do you feel about the president's cup?

I feel pretty much the same way with the President's cup, I like the fact that their matches seem to have a bit more strategy/drama like Augster mentioned. I still don't get real excited about it though.

Same with golf in the Olympics. I think there are enough avenues for Amateurs and pros alike to get noticed and be successful. I don't need to see it in the Olympics, don't even want to see it in the Olympics-speaking of another sporting event that barely gets above my "indifferent" meter.

Team golf.

If the format isn't a Scramble, then isn't this an oxymoron?

Ryder Cup will come and go, I could give a shit. Same goes with the president's cup.

Nothing worse than watching one guy suffer as another has his fate in his hands for a sport that is designed around the individual. Golf and boxing are the ultimate "put up or shut up" sports. It's only you and your brain up there making it happen.

R35

PS...I hate boxing. And don't get me started on MMA.

I, too, don't get really excited about the RC.... or the President's Cup. The only thing that, to me, is interesting at all is to see some different formats than the typical stroke play. We've become a global society. Many of the European players actually live... or have homes... here in the U.S. You could find players on the U.S. team and the European team who might live on the same cul-de-sac. Not nearly the competition between continents as there once was.

And, for me, there is even more reason not to watch this year. I have never enjoyed Colin Montgomery as a player. So, it would be difficult to cheer for the Europeans. It will depend on Pavin whether or not I watch a single minute of the competiton. If he succumbs to the media and picks TW... the RC will NOT be allowed turned on in our home. If he shows he has balls and picks ABBT, I'll make sure it's on and cheer for the U.S. team. Still won't be glued to the set as if it were one of the major championships.

I, too, don't get really excited about the RC.... or the President's Cup. The only thing that, to me, is interesting at all is to see some different formats than the typical stroke play. We've become a global society. Many of the European players actually live... or have homes... here in the U.S. You could find players on the U.S. team and the European team who might live on the same cul-de-sac. Not nearly the competition between continents as there once was.

And, for me, there is even more reason not to watch this year. I have never enjoyed Colin Montgomery as a player. So, it would be difficult to cheer for the Europeans. It will depend on Pavin whether or not I watch a single minute of the competiton. If he succumbs to the media and picks TW... the RC will NOT be allowed turned on in our home. If he shows he has balls and picks ABBT, I'll make sure it's on and cheer for the U.S. team. Still won't be glued to the set as if it were one of the major championships.

I guess the RC will not be on in your house this year. If I was a betting man I would place a LARGE wager on Pavin picking Tiger, its a lock.

How do you feel about the president's cup?

The what? All kidding aside I dont watch a second of it either. I really dont watch golf anymore, other than a bit on Sunday of the majors. I dont watch much pro sport at all to be honest. I just dont have the time or the interest at this time. I do watch MMA every chance I get however, but again its probably largely because of my own participation in the sport. Ever since I had my son, my own golf has dwindled down to hardly ever, hence my not watching it (I think). I still kickbox and train 3 nights a week though, and that could be why i still have interest and find time to watch MMA. Who knows.

The what? All kidding aside I dont watch a second of it either. I really dont watch golf anymore, other than a bit on Sunday of the majors. I dont watch much pro sport at all to be honest. I just dont have the time or the interest at this time. I do watch MMA every chance I get however, but again its probably largely because of my own participation in the sport. Ever since I had my son my own golf has dwindled down to hardly ever hence my not watching it (I think). I still kickbox train 3 night a week though and that could be why i still have interest and find time to watch MMA. Who knows.

I hear ya, since my daughter was born I have been lucky to play 3-4 times/yr with an occasional scramble thrown in. Like you, i have lost alot of interest in watching sports. It seems catching a few highlights when I get a chance on ESPN is about it now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520