• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Amazing days on the range, why cant I have more!

Hackin_Away

Reaction score
Went to the range today cuz I got off work early and it was nice out, not TOO hot. Really felt like I am gettin into these new irons nicely after a day like today. I mean, I hit soooo many good balls. More importantly, I think I have finally found a very repeatable consistent swing. It's probably just that I found the way it SHOULD go, lol.

I was often thinning the ball, and rarely took a divot...and if i did it was a chunker. But today it just dawned on me to keep my right elbow tight, lol. Something I have heard time and time again, but it just never sank in. When i focused on doing that, it naturally helped my take away and I was able to have a reference point that I could reproduce. Again, this is not some kinda breakthrough in the golf world, but just seemed to help me a lot with consistency.

Seemed I also gained some distance. I was hitting my 7i still quite high but seemed to be carrying farther then in the past (the course will be the real tell tale on that). Went to the lil miniature fairway/chipping area. Kept that same swing with my sw hitting some 30-40yd pitches and it was again so easy to keep consistent.

Anyhow, as I said this is something I probably coulda figured out or been told a long time ago. But if if it truly is the answer to my inconsistencies I am going to be so happy, lol. Fight my uncertainty all the time and its kept me at a bogey golfer for a better part of the last 3yrs. Think this is finally my year to get to 40 or better (if i dont blow up one or 2 damn holes, lol...my other Achilles heal).

Now, I just need to continue this so I can have these satisfying range days a lot more often! That is if I leave my driver in the bag...that things still wild, hahahah.

I know how you feel. I've had those "OH!" moments. Still piecing it together, but it is getting to the point that it seems easy to hit good shots. Weight forward, stay tall, keep left arm connected, right elbow behind, turn through. Might sound like a lot, but when I feel it come together I hit phenomenal shots, start to finish.

The game isn't so difficult. We make it so difficult.

When you say weight forward, do you mean on your toes or on your left side (assuming you're righty)? Do you have some stack and tilt in your swing?

On my left side, specifically. I don't know enough about stack and tilt to identify it as such. Most important for me is making sure my weight doesn't hang back on my right side, though. Terrible shots ensue when that happens, and there is rarely anything but a decent shot or better when i stay forward.

On my left side, specifically. I don't know enough about stack and tilt to identify it as such. Most important for me is making sure my weight doesn't hang back on my right side, though. Terrible shots ensue when that happens, and there is rarely anything but a decent shot or better when i stay forward.

+1 from what i know from stack and tilt, it's just another way of making sure people don't let themselves stay on their right side(right handers).

I naturally found this method although i didn't call it stack and tilt it helped me keep my spine angle correct and helped me immensely with getting good contact with the ball. Fat/thin shots are no longer the norm for me. Getting solid contact most of the time has lowered my scores more than anything else.

OP - I too had a really good day at the range my last time out. Pure irons, wedges were right on. Even my driver i was bombing long and straight. Now...putting that together on the golf course is the key.

So much for my consistency, was at a diff range today...ya im addicted.. They have a pro there who does lessons, but I popped in to just get a couple quick pointers, haha.
He looked at my swing, said its decent, but he says the one thing I do wrong is on my takeaway i get the club parallel initially right on plane down low, but as I come up i start to kinda reach behind adding "depth" as he called it. THEN i go up to complete backswing. He said lay a club down flat in front of my feet, and at the mid way point the butt of the club should be pointing down at the stick in the ground. At that point go straight up, and complete the backswing using shoulder rotation to end with the club parallel to that line on the ground.

Also my stance was a little wide, i realized that before...and dont know where i evolved that from.

So do I try to keep doing what was working...or try to change it yet again to do what he described.

He said lay a club down flat in front of my feet, and at the mid way point the butt of the club should be pointing down at the stick in the ground. At that point go straight up, and complete the backswing using shoulder rotation to end with the club parallel to that line on the ground.
I did pretty much the same thing, just used the ball for the line instead of a club, but it got my swing to be on plane really good. Every instructor thats checked my swing so far has said the plane is decent, so the tip must be a pretty good way to do it

I practice it every day either at the house here or at the range.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520

3. 15,301