• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Annual: "How far south do I have to go to play golf?" thread.....

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's March 1st. I'm in Minneapolis.

How far South do I have to go to get out of my car and hit some golf balls?

Did Iowa get as hammered as we did with snow this year?

If not Iowa, how about Eastern Kansas, North Missouri, or Western Illinois?

Let me know if you are playing within driving distance from me so I can make plans for next weekend. Or some following weekend in March.

Thanks gents.

Southern WI here...but literally 5 minutes from the Ill. boarder and we are still under snow on most of the golf courses around here...

I would imagine most of Iowa is the same and you're probably going to be in the southern part of Ill. before you see open courses.

Guess it all depends on how far you want to drive? Mississippi has no snow, high today will be mid 60's.

LOL. I don't think I'm going to Mississippi. :)

My barber said mid-Missouri is open as that is where his daughters live. 500 miles from here though.

Where are all the Jayhawks that used to be on here? I know it's March madness and all, but they could at least look out their window and report.

Eastern Kansas is not bad right now. I'm on the southwest side of Kansas City and I'm going to play on Thursday, supposed to be about 60º and not too windy.

I'll be in Nashville on Thurs next - clubs coming with. I'm not expecting much, since all the grass except for the greens is still dormant

Iowa is mostly melted, but the ground is pretty darn wet and mushy. Most courses are not open yet, just the few stragglers that technically stay open all year round.

useful map of snow cover: NOHRSC Interactive Snow Information

Warbirdlover and I always went to Kentucky...............Kentucky Dam Lake near Paduca. But we aren't going any more in March...........it's always too wet, the grass is dormant, it's been cold, and you can't take carts out on the course. Too old for that walking crap. I see there's flood warnings now down there.

So I can start calling around Iowa, but should be able to play in Kansas City? Excellent.

I was in KC last April. 6 hours roughly from here from what I remember. Not too bad.

I much prefer Ames, IA. I can get there in just about 2.5 hrs.

Let me know how the conditions are when you play. Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520