• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ball fitting

par5in4

Reaction score
Anybody here ever get fitted for a golf ball? I screwed around a little today at Golf Galaxy with a couple of drivers. The guy then ran the numbers in a ball fitting program and I was surprised at what it spit out. Many of the big name balls weren't at the top. I have a swing speed right at 100 mph+/- and spin between 2700 and 3000 rpm. Many of the balls were like Top Flite and Maxfli and Dunlop. Both in the distance side and accuracy side.

I was just wondering who has been fitted and who actually plays the ball that was recommended to them. I'm curious......of all the ProV1 (insert big name ball here) hitters, which of those does that ball actually maximize their potential or are they just playing it because it's a popular ball on tour?

To that point.....the ball that was near the top of the distance side and accuracy side for my swing was the Maxfli Noodle Ice. I may give it a try!

I always wanted to try this, I swing in the high 90's to 100's so I might give that Noodle a try.

Anybody here ever get fitted for a golf ball? I screwed around a little today at Golf Galaxy with a couple of drivers. The guy then ran the numbers in a ball fitting program and I was surprised at what it spit out. Many of the big name balls weren't at the top. I have a swing speed right at 100 mph+/- and spin between 2700 and 3000 rpm. Many of the balls were like Top Flite and Maxfli and Dunlop. Both in the distance side and accuracy side.

I was just wondering who has been fitted and who actually plays the ball that was recommended to them. I'm curious......of all the ProV1 (insert big name ball here) hitters, which of those does that ball actually maximize their potential or are they just playing it because it's a popular ball on tour?

To that point.....the ball that was near the top of the distance side and accuracy side for my swing was the Maxfli Noodle Ice. I may give it a try!

I say Pro V1x in my sig because I prefer to hit those - and I will always hit one in a serious round. However, in any other round, I'll hit anything. As long as it's close to white and round with dimples, I'll hit it. :laugh:

I think there are a lot of people out there who lose strokes and money playing ProV1 and other premium balls. If you can hit a 170-yard 7-iron with backspin, then I think you can take advantage of the performance characteristics of those balls. Otherwise, you're better off hitting a lower-compression ball like the Top-Flite D2 or Maxfli Noodle.

Don't underestimate the power of a golfer's ego. The manufacturers sure don't.

I have been fitted for a golf ball at my friend's Golf Galaxy, the thing that he explained to me was that the program measures only the physics of flight of each ball and does not take into account feel. For the record, the ball that was first for me was the D2 Feel, the One Platinum, and the Srixon ZUR-C. The old Taylor Made balls were dead last for me, but I really like the way the new ones perform, can't wait to see where they rank when the software gets updated.

I've not been fitted for a ball but played a ton of them. There are plenty of long balls. The HX-Hot is monsterous, a Maxfli Rev. Solid is the only ball that ever carried the bunkers on one par 5 I play. I use the ProV1's for my short game. I'm actually looking to move to the 1x for less spin off the driver this year. I'll be ordering a bunch of used balls and testing out a few other models as well. Distance is not king for me, predictability around the greens is. A true ball fitting would have to involve #'s off the driver, then #'s off my SW (like which ball goes 101 to 102yds. every time with the same spin) and feels good as well. The best ball I ever had in use for feel was the HVC soft feel. That was like tossing a beanbag onto the green with a wedge.

i got semi fitted for bridgestone e6 plus.
they just looked at my stats and suggest a ball that will give me the optimal distance in bridgestone line ups.

however, i prefer feel over distance since i'm more concerned w/ control than distance.

so far, nike ones and prov1/x feels better than other balls i've used. best bet is to take it out on to the course.

if you want the distance, the ball fitting should help.

I'm pretty sure that for me a Pro V1x goes father than every other ball I've played & it also gives me the feel I want around the greens.

Fitting for balls should be the softest ball you can keep straight(ish) with a driver. No point hitting a rock 250-280 down the middle if you can't stop it for toffee when you get to the green!

I dont like a hard ball.........I do like the D2's.....I got some Nike Pure distance for Christmas....they hit pretty good the other day.....I use sooooo many different balls, its hard to tell sometimes what I hit good and what I dont...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,420

eclark53520

3. 15,300