• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ball speed in relation to swing speed

mr3856a

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows what the expected ball speed should be for a swing of between 100 and 103 mph. That's what I was averaging on the launch monitor today, but the ball speed was in the upper 130's - 136, 138, in there. This seems low to me for that type of swing speed.

A side question would be, what is the ideal launch angle? Mine seemed pretty low, between 4.5 and 6.5-7. I'm not swinging real well right now, but the are the numbers and I'm just curious where they ought to be.

Thanks

ball speed with a good swing, hit on the sweet spot around 1.4-1.5 tomes the club head speed, the relationship between SS and BS is called Smash Factor

Ideal launch angle for your SS is around 12*-13*

So my launch angle was crazy low (which I figured) and my ball speed wasn't that great. I was hitting stock stiff shafts.

yeah, you definately could use getting that launch angle up... 4.5, WOW!! what loft was on the driver that you were using??

according to lyle(a man anyone could learn alot from) loft on the club accounts for 80% of the launch angle, with the other 20% coming from other stuff like the kickpoint of the shaft...

I was using mostly 9.5's. As I was saying, I'm not swinging real well right now, so the numbers (particularly launch angle) may be way off what might be my norm. The rpm's were at around 4,000-4,200, somewhere in there, which I know is a bit north of where that should be as well.

Appreciate all the info, guys.

(and by the way, those 4.5'ers were going 230 yards :shocked: - something's gotta be off)

according to lyle(a man anyone could learn alot from) loft on the club accounts for 80% of the launch angle, with the other 20% coming from other stuff like the kickpoint of the shaft...

And he's dead right - I was hitting a 10.5* driver with a high launch shaft in it and getting ridiculous launch angles like 18 to 21 degrees. I put a low launch shaft in it and although it felt better it still gave me a stupidly high ball flight and barely bought that angle down at all.

I then tried a 9.5* head back with a high launch shaft and instantly my launch angle dropped to 12 to 14*. I was staggered at the difference that one degree of loft made...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520

3. 15,301