• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best Driver Shafts

I must not be much of a HO, as I'm not even on y'alls' list. :)

So far, in terms of which one I hit best (longest & straightest) the el cheapo True Temper EI70 wins hands down. But, since this is the shaft in the driver Dana Upshaw made for me, and it's only 43.5" long, I think the total length of the club just fits me better and that's the reason the club feels so good.

I really like the looks of the V2 and the VS Proto and as soon as I save up a little money, I'm gonna send my 905R V2 driver to Dana and have him shorten it, FLO it, and re-swingweight it.

Doc, you were the "etc"!!! :D And you've been so quiet lately we thought you got married.... :laugh:

Before giving my opinion, I must admit that I'm old school and haven't been in a financial position to try too many new shafts over the last couple of years, so I can't comment on the many newer shafts that could be better than the ones I've used. That siad, from my limited list I have a definite favourite. I have had the Grafalloy Blue Stiff in numerous drivers over the last few years and it is without doubt the best shaft for me. I find it is the most solid and consistent and gives the best ball flight. It is also the shaft that has been responsible for some of my longest drives ever. I still regret swapping it out of an R5 a while ago and selling the driver I put it in. I get by with what I've got now but if I had a choice I would put the Blue Stiff in every driver I own. I actually have a blue reg in an old Mizuno driver which I couldn't hit very well and I gave to my brother, and have been thinking about swapping it out into my current driver. Not sure how much difference it will make having the reg though.

My current shaft is an SKfiber pure energy. It is (at the moment) giving me the best results I have ever had with a driver. My current driver set up is the CT250 head 10*, 43.5 inches in length and an the pure energy R flex shaft with a 25g back weight in it. Yesterday I spent about 45 minutes hitting balls into my launch monitor and averaged:

swing speed 103.4 mph
ball speed 151.2 mph
launch angle 13.6*
carry distance 249.4 yards

This was the average of over 80 shots with the driver. Never have I had numbers this consistent with this large a sample. Its not the longest I have ever hit, but it is quite simply the best performing over all.

I liked the VS Proto for it's stability and feel. Had the Blueboard in a 63g and it wasn't bad, just too light. The 83g is where it's at. I'd still like to try a Whiteboard but for now the TP 83g stays. I'm launching an 8.5* long and high. The shaft feels very smooth and I feel very much in control of the clubhead at all points in my swing. I had a little trouble fading it my first time out with it but the other day I hit a few fades no problem. My stock flight with it is a little draw and that's consistant with my iron shots. That's about all I'm looking for, swings and clubs that produce the same results as many times as possible. I should have a 8 or 9i comfortably in on around 400 and a shot at 500 in 2 with a good swing, I feel the BurnerTP-Blueboard combo is the club best suited for that goal that I've ever had.

Lyle, you surprised me. I thought you recently said you went back to the NV75.... :)

MGP, I've only tried this shaft in the stiff flex - which was a bit too much for me (similar swingspeed) I was hoping to try the Reg Flex but tipped a bit to play to a firm flex - did you tip yours at all or just install as Reg flex? is it still long enough that you could tip it?

Just my luck, I built this driver an inch shorter than normal (43.5") to experiment with using a driver a little shorter than my normal driver length (44.5"). At first I thought maybe the length change was causing my problems but after swinging it a while and standing a tad closer to the ball it still felt soft to me.

I didn't tip trim the shaft but thought seriously about it to stiffen it up a bit when I was assembling it. I was going off the feedback from warbirdlover (that was my first mistake :laugh:) based on the fact that his swing and mine are a lot alike. Of course he unloaded his to his brother about the same time I was putting mine together and then had Zaphod build him another driver with the Stiff. Figures. :D

I suppose I could add a shaft extension but I kind of hate to mess with this club as it was one of those that assembled perfectly and looks great. I still have a couple more CT250 heads to play with and I'm leaning towards just selling it.

I haven't given up on that shaft though, I may try a Stiff in another head yet.

This season was interesting for me, trying to choose between the two drivers that Taylor Made came out with, then matching a shaft to that driver, so I hit a ton of combinations and found some that worked well for me and a few that didn't give me the ball flight that I wanted.

I tried each of these in both heads before finding the driver that I have in play now.

Stock Rombax 75 gram: Felt a little dull to me, little feedback, and the ball spun a bit too much.
Fujikura Speeder 757: I loved this shaft in the original r7 TP, just didn't seem to work with the SuperQuad head as well as it did the original.
Grafalloy Epic: Uh, not my favorite, but was a nice blend of distance and control, just felt a little odd.
Grafalloy Axis: Solid feeling shaft, but the launch didn't fit my eye.
Diamana Red 73: Launched about a degree too high for my eye, but was a great blend of control and shot shaping.
Diamana Blue 73: I liked this one, could easily have put it in play.
Diamana White 73: My favorite of the Diamana line, felt a little easier to control than the other two and did not sacrifice any distance.
Matrix Ozik X Con 6: Launched a bit on the high side, but very low spin, so it worked out well...except in the wind.
Matrix Ozik Code 6: Flatter launch than the X Con, a little more spin though.
Matrix Ozik TP7x: The winner so far, smooth feel, almost to the point that you don't feel it kick. The ball launches right at the window I want to see itas my head comes up after impact. Easy to control and keeps the spin down. It's been in the bag longer than any other shaft this season and isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Lyle, you surprised me. I thought you recently said you went back to the NV75.... :)

I had, but like always was still inconsistent. The NV was just the best of inconsistent shafts. I recently went back to Wishon, and with the help of a few people I trust, tried a few things. I went to much shorter driver, much softer shaft, and a back weight in the butt end (I am currently torn between which one works better the 25g or the 35g). My last 5 sessions have been the most consistent I have ever hit the ball with a driver in my life. Accuracy, and center face contact at about an 80% clip. Absolutely unheard for me. This combo has given me excellent average distance at almost 250 carry, and a smash factor of 1.48, over a span of hitting nearly 400 balls. Uncharted waters here for me. This and my irons being TLT fit seem to have given me the game I have fought for for the last 5 years.

I had, but like always was still inconsistent. The NV was just the best of inconsistent shafts. I recently went back to Wishon, and with the help of a few people I trust, tried a few things. I went to much shorter driver, much softer shaft, and a back weight in the butt end (I am currently torn between which one works better the 25g or the 35g). My last 5 sessions have been the most consistent I have ever hit the ball with a driver in my life. Accuracy, and center face contact at about an 80% clip. Absolutely unheard for me. This combo has given me excellent average distance at almost 250 carry, and a smash factor of 1.48, over a span of hitting nearly 400 balls. Uncharted waters here for me. This and my irons being TLT fit seem to have given me the game I have fought for for the last 5 years.

THats a huge SF number average...I'd give my left nut for number like that on a consistent basis!

The SE is a perfect example of an easily affordable shaft that simply performs better than most shafts at double the cost.

Other shafts I have really found good luck and happiness with has been..

The Solution aka "Wundershaft".
Graman UL440 Limeny
UST LD-1 (not to be confused with the UST V.2).
Graman CS-230
Mamiya Axiv 6564M

I recently went back to Wishon, and with the help of a few people I trust, tried a few things. I went to much shorter driver, much softer shaft, and a back weight in the butt end (I am currently torn between which one works better the 25g or the 35g). My last 5 sessions have been the most consistent I have ever hit the ball with a driver in my life. Accuracy, and center face contact at about an 80% clip. Absolutely unheard for me. This combo has given me excellent average distance at almost 250 carry, and a smash factor of 1.48, over a span of hitting nearly 400 balls. Uncharted waters here for me. This and my irons being TLT fit seem to have given me the game I have fought for for the last 5 years.

Lyle, this sounds like good stuff - can you elaborate on what you meant by "back to Wishon"? - I also noticed the Wishon 919 is now in lefty - I'd be curious to see what you think of it

well i have to say out of the ones i tried this year or ever. im going with the creation 65 as best and the evo a close second. i just have never been able to hit the driver with out the fear of a nasty hook. i also get good distance out on it as well.

The shaft that has suited my swing well has been the Aldila NV 65. I have had it in a few different drivers and have loved the penetrating ball flight I get with it and I prefer the feel of the kick better than either the Grafalloy Blue or Comp NT which I have used in the past.

The NV does not work for everyone. Crossfire tried out my TEE with NV the other day and ballooned the ball high enough to get picked up by NORAD. :D He hits a Proto By you in his TEE a ton, but can not hit its predecessor without the high distance killing launch.

I'll testify. Tim hit some boomers this weekend with the NV. I would love to have that ballflight with my driver.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,420

eclark53520