• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Burner sounds dead

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I played with an older dude yesterday and his son. His son ... was bad. The dad thought he was God's gift to golf and strutted around with his nose up in the air. I tried to make conversation on his new Burner driver but he blew me off. Okay, a**hole (I thought), we'll see how that Burner performs. Well first hole he hit a great drive. That thing sounded like sh*t though!! Dull "clunk". Really dead sound. So next hole I hit a really nice one down the middle. He hits the worst pull hook I've ever seen. (Titter, titter :laugh: ). It kind of went back and forth, hole by hole on the first eight and then the ninth hole I crushed a good one down the middle on an uphill par four (350 yards) and he sliced his drive over the road and didn't finish the hole he was so po'd. I hit my wedge to 1 foot and tapped in for bird. Second nine he was MINE!! He went from not saying much to total silence. He even quit giving his son advice. I loved it!!

Burner might be good in the right hands but looks like it is not a forgiving club like a FTi, a HiBore or a SQ Sumo squared. It goes long on a good hit but sounds like a dull thump when hit.

:laugh:

Hmmmm, I'm not a huge fan of it anyway. Mixed feelings. On the one hand I like it because the old Burners were cool, but on the other it's kind of ugly.

Hmmmm, I'm not a huge fan of it anyway. Mixed feelings. On the one hand I like it because the old Burners were cool, but on the other it's kind of ugly.

It's really not that bad when you are outside, with the reflection of trees and such showing up on the head, you kind of lose sight of the graphics. I was very worried about the crown and appearance because I have gotten so used to the r7 line with the imprinted alignment logo on top and a clean crown. The SuperQuad actually has the T logo screened on top, so it is more visible than on other models.

Burner might be good in the right hands but looks like it is not a forgiving club like a FTi, a HiBore or a SQ Sumo squared. It goes long on a good hit but sounds like a dull thump when hit.

:laugh:

The Burner TP I have been using sounds much better than the FTi, HiBore, or Sumo in my opinion, it's not as metallic as some of the newer drivers out there, but I know when I hit it well due to the sound it makes. The TP head may have a slightly different sound due to the shorter dimensions front to back and slightly deeper face, have not hit the standard version enough to comment on the sound that one produces.

Aye, you're more hardcore TM than myself.

Aye, you're more hardcore TM than myself.

Been on staff with them for six years, needless to say I have played most of the drivers that have made them famous.

tmag. You might be right about the TP Burner. I wasn't really paying attention when the guy hit it and immediately noticed the funny sound. Not obnoxious like the Sumo squared but "different"... But you've also got a far superior shaft in yours then he had in his (stock shaft). :)

On the one hand I like it because the old Burners were cool.

Ha - bring back the Ti Bubble

We can get Ernie and Lehman to peddle them.... ah the 90's....

And back in the 90's I was playing my good old solid graphite headed Yonex ADX 200 and blowing balls by the TM Burner guys... (and I still have it!)... :laugh: :laugh:

tmag. You might be right about the TP Burner. I wasn't really paying attention when the guy hit it and immediately noticed the funny sound. Not obnoxious like the Sumo squared but "different"... But you've also got a far superior shaft in yours then he had in his (stock shaft). :)

With everything designed in that club to make it lighter, it is bound to have a different sound to it, the odd shape probably contributes as well. I had mine built for me, so they added a heavier plug in the bottom and put more head tacking adhesive in the head to add weight which affects the sound.

The 46" length in it is also a little harder to control if you aren't used to the longer shaft. i've been thinking of getting a TP Burner in 8.5 but putting a Speeder 757 in it. Definitely don't want the 50 gram shaft but I have heard good things about the 65 gram shaft by Graphite Design they are using. As far as sound the TP version sounds OK. Now that new Sumo just taping the crown of it with your fingernail makes me cringe as if it was nails on a chalk board.

I'd prefer the dead sound from the burner to the noise made by the new cobra drivers. I tried one at the weekend at my local golf shop in a little room with a net to drive into, this thing was so loud I only hit it once because it was so loud it made EVERYONE in the shop jump out of their skin and nearly deafened me, I walked out the room and handed it to the salesman and shook my head. I also tried the new Nike 3wood now that is an amazing club, and is on my wish list.

This old "ace" also had a new Cobra he hit just as bad as the Burner. I didn't notice it being that loud though. :)

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520