• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Changing flights

Never fight a fade if that's your natural ball flight.

R35

I would not agree with that. I have a tend to be a little of a fady. But i HATE it and have work very hard to get into the "proper" swingplane - which naturally evolves in a draw.

I think golfer who say, stick with the fade are just not willingly to put enough effort into practise.

But i am a perfectionist in that point - and will always be

I think golfer who say, stick with the fade are just not willingly to put enough effort into practise.

I think Lee Trevino might beg to differ. He even putted with a forced push.

R35

I find it kind of funny that most amateurs fight a fade,yet most pros want it to the point that they practice like mad for a controlled fade.In truth,a fade is a far more important and dangerous shot to have in your armoury than a draw.

I find it kind of funny that most amateurs fight a fade,yet most pros want it to the point that they practice like mad for a controlled fade.In truth,a fade is a far more important and dangerous shot to have in your armoury than a draw.

Agreed.

R35

Saw mostly fades in the tournament for which I caddied - very few draws. In fact, when my golfer and I played a practice round later that day he worked exclusively on his fade shot.

By the way - I like the signature Rock - "printed in Minot, ND" - that cracks me up. :biglol:

Now that I've actually been able to experiece a real fade I can see that it is a much different shot than the slice I used to play. Moving it 20yds. left to right with a slicing action starting 1/3 into the flight was a far cry from the dead straight shot that moves 3yds. right from the time it starts dropping to hitting the green. My "straight" shots now just knife a yard or 2 inward as they come down.

I too am the type to just never quit until I can hit any/every shot. Next comes the flop.
icon10.gif
I was hitting my 54 from fluffy lies yesterday, wide open, ball forward, full swing, hit it off the toe, 15yards. The fun never ends when it comes to new shots and the greatest reward is pulling one off perfectly you've worked months on.

I play a predominant draw and play to just under 20. Prior to learning to draw the ball so that it was just second nature, I played off of a 15 although hit the ball much shorter. Granted, there is alot more to it than this, but a fade is much easier to control in my opinion simply because the ball will not roll off the fairway. I actually went all the way up to a 25 at one point and am just now beginning to gain better control at a cost of distance. I now fade my driver after much practice, and find myself in the fairway much more often, and score much better. I have very little ability to hit a fade with anything other than my driver, where when I had a natural fade I could draw the ball if I really needed too simply by taking a stronger grip. It is not so easy to hit a fade if you have engrained an inside~out swing. I think you comment holds merit in that if you are able to easily regulate the ball flight, you can also likely strike the ball fairly well either way. With practice you may be able to learn to control a draw. Simply hitting a predominant draw is not as hard as being able to contol a draw. However, if you are not a great ball striker, you can still have a inside~out swing and a predominant draw, yet you will likely have more trouble controlling the ball. In the same sense, most casual players only have one swing they can rely on. From what I have seen, many decent Pro's are converting to a fade bias for the reason that they hit more fairways at the expense of a little distance. Nicklaus, Trevino, and even the big hitters like Daly realize that more fairways account for better scores, not just distance. The main reason Daly converted to a high fade.

Or as Nicklaus said, the straight ball is the hardest to hit, I would kill to be able to have a predominent straight shot regardless of distance.

I play a draw with 5-PW, and a fade with my 4 iron. I can draw it, but it's harder to control. I just hit it 5 yards left of the flag and drop it in there.

I play a draw with my driver and my fairways too. But if I need to fade a 3 wood in there, I can do it no problem.

R35

I play a draw with 5-PW, and a fade with my 4 iron. I can draw it, but it's harder to control. I just hit it 5 yards left of the flag and drop it in there.

I play a draw with my driver and my fairways too. But if I need to fade a 3 wood in there, I can do it no problem.

R35

How much draw? I guess that was my point of this thread, to find out if I've discovered the correct way to change flights before I devote 28,000 range balls to perfecting it.
icon10.gif
My good drives and actually all shots now move 2-5yds. left at the end. I've seen a lot of guys bomb it and actually hit it 15-20yards draw with the driver. I prefer the mostly straight with the little kick left myself. I can't get that big draw on a shot easily but I can hit a fade/slice around just about anything.

Having any stock shot is hugely important,whether a draw OR a fade,although all of the pros I have seen and played with use a fade,there are still some who draw.As for the amount of draw,I've seen a pro recently hit 30 or 40 yards of draw off the tee,which almost made me think he was snapping everything,until I saw his ball 60 yards past me down the middle.The amount of draw doesn't matter at all compared to where the ball ends up.Also,the longer the club the more shape you get,ie the easier it is to generate sidespin.A fade for me with a 5 iron would be 5 to 10 yards,no more.

Well the ball flight sounds correct. That is my normal shot anyway, it just lets off to whichever direction I want at the end. Now for a lower stronger turn, yeah, it turns well before the end, but that's a worked and specific shot I use.

As far as the point what's better, a draw or a fade. I've always had a draw, even when I started playing when I was 14 it would draw. I can hit a fade, and often find myself in situations where I do, but I wouldn't say a draw is any better or worse than a fade(though I find I hit the ball further with my draw, but that means I'm on my proper swing plane).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520