• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Club building question....

BigJim13

Staff member
Reaction score
So I am considering building my next set of irons since I can't find anything that gets me "excited." I have a set of DG S400 shafts that I got off ebay already, so all i would need are the grips, ferrules etc. The problem is that I found a clubhead that I really like the looks of but the hosel is .370 and my shafts are .355 taper tip. I know I can shim them but how do they work. i was looking at these on the golfsmith website and it would seem that these just go on the end of the shaft then into the hosel with a fair coat of epoxy, but i dont know.

http://www.golfsmith.com/products/9588

any feeback would be much appreciated, this would be a fun project for me over the LONG winter months. OH and here are the heads that I think I am going to go with...

http://www.golfsmith.com/cm/products/G2100

they are cast, but they look pretty sharp to me...thanks all!!!

Those shims work just fine. They center perfectly, no worries there.

Grab a set of those heads and go to town!

I want a full report - cast or no cast, those are the best GS iron heads ever made, bar none.

R35

I was just looking at those heads today too, really nice and cheap too.

Make sure you get some shafting beads to center the shafts . There is bound to be some slop even with the shims. Hosel weights would be a good idea to fine tune the swingweights also.

IMO you would be better off getting differant shafts and ditching the taper tips.
With taper tips you cant do any tip trimming, so it becomes impossable to frequency match the set. You would be far better off getting .370 parallel tip irons and then doing the tip trimming to get all the frequencies in line.
Build them right the first time.

not to threadjack Jim, but can someone kind of explain the idea behind these irons? the description didn't help me out much,
http://www.golfsmith.com/products/SE2885S
25 grams heavier than traditional heads?? i could go for that

Those heads dont have any grinding dome to them at all. They are heavier to allow for the removal of steel during the grinding process. They are not meant to be used in their raw form.

• Staff
I was just looking at those heads today too, really nice and cheap too.

Make sure you get some shafting beads to center the shafts . There is bound to be some slop even with the shims. Hosel weights would be a good idea to fine tune the swingweights also.

How do the shaft beads work? As far as hosel weights go, that may be a little more advanced for me, but we shall see...

Roll the shaft tip in the epoxy, insert in hosel, twist it around and pull it out. Assure even coverage, then dip 1'2 inch of the tip into the jar of shafting beads. Re-isert into hosel. Seat the shaft in the hosel and you are done.

• Staff
Roll the shaft tip in the epoxy, insert in hosel, twist it around and pull it out. Assure even coverage, then dip 1'2 inch of the tip into the jar of shafting beads. Re-isert into hosel. Seat the shaft in the hosel and you are done.

If I do this, where does the shim come into play? Do I slide that on the shaft after the bead? Thanks for the replies and info by the way...
icon13.gif

A brass shim will center the shaft in the hosel. No need for beads.

R35

I didnt realize you were using a shim.

Make sure there is epoxy on all sides of the shim, the hosel and the shaft. Then all should be good.

I didnt realize you were using a shim.

Make sure there is epoxy on all sides of the shim, the hosel and the shaft. Then all should be good.

Ok, that sounds easy enough. Stupid question though, do i slide the shim in the hosel and then install the shaft or do i put the shim on the end of the shaft and then install it into the hosel ( I am guessing it doesn't really matter, but dont really know for sure ) Thanks again all for the replies...

I usually put epxoy on the shaft the add the shim then isert in the head. Using a shim can be a bit messy and you will most likely get epoxy all over the place so keep a rag with some solvent handy.

Yep. It's messy. Just did my 7 wood, epoxy everywhere. A little nail polish remover and a rag cleaned 'er right up.:)

R35

Thanks for the help all. I think I will be building a new set of P2 irons in the next few weeks. I won't be able to get a real good review until the spring though, ya know since I live in the cold and snowy northeast
icon13.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422